beersmith and sugar

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

beersmith and sugar

Unread postby paulg » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:38 am

i am brewing a recipe that includes 400g invert sugar.
Although beersmith adds the sugar as a boil addition it seems it includes the sugar in the pre boil sg figure.
the recipe gives 1.036 sg preboil BUT if i edit the recipe to drop the sugar the predicted sg drops also to 1.032.

does anyone know if this is due to something being set incorrectly by me in beersmith or is it a glitch in the software.i add mysugar to the boil with 15 minutes remaining.
I had wondered why I seemed to miss my preboil target sg with recipes that include sugar,i may have found out why.

edit
just found this post seems i was correct,poxy beersmith,will someone please write a software for us

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.0
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: beersmith and sugar

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Yup. When I add any adjuncts with sugar, I create two versions of the recipe - one with and one without the adjunct - so that I will have an accurate estimate of preboil gravity.

Model: 20 litres

beersmith and sugar

Unread postby judgecc » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Cant u double click the sugar and select: add after boil? Thats how I usually do. Often Ill pitch sugar after high krausen.
I create recipe with sugar just to know real OG and then delete it from BS to hit my numbers. Then just add it back after its fermenting to know my Abv and AA..
Last edited by judgecc on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judgecc

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm

paulg wrote:poxy beersmith,will someone please write a software for us

I'd buy a brewing program written for BM in an instant.

I beat software into submission for a living. I tried BeerSmith, hated it passionately and didn't buy it. It's written for the picnic cooler and propane burner crowd. It's like Lindsey Lohan. A few nice features but fundamentally flawed.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Nesto wrote:Yup. When I add any adjuncts with sugar, I create two versions of the recipe - one with and one without the adjunct - so that I will have an accurate estimate of preboil gravity.

Yes I do the same....annoying but it is a way around the problem

OldScotchAle wrote:

I beat software into submission for a living. I tried BeerSmith, hated it passionately and didn't buy it. It's written for the picnic cooler and propane burner crowd. It's like Lindsey Lohan. A few nice features but fundamentally flawed.

Funny stuff OSA. :lol:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:53 pm

judgecc wrote:Cant u double click the sugar and select: add after boil? Thats how I usually do. Often Ill pitch sugar after high krausen.
I create recipe with sugar just to know real OG and then delete it from BS to hit my numbers. Then just add it back after its fermenting to know my Abv and AA..

Yes, you can select add after boil as well. Then preboil number will be correct. I do some other stuff with the BS numbers, so I like to do the two recipe work-around. One way or the other, you need to work around this fairly obvious flaw...

Unread postby f00b4r » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Looks like this issue has been fixed in 2.3
f00b4r

Unread postby mashy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm

OldScotchAle wrote:

Welcome friend!! I too beat software into submission for a living, and I just properly LMAO at "It's like Lindsey Lohan. A few nice features but fundamentally flawed." Although I am in the UK that translates perfectly !!
mashy

Unread postby Wobbly » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:06 am

mashy wrote:
OldScotchAle wrote:

Welcome friend!! I too beat software into submission for a living, and I just properly LMAO at "It's like Lindsey Lohan. A few nice features but fundamentally flawed." Although I am in the UK that translates perfectly !!
OldScotchAle wrote:

Don't wish to start a war but those that "do software for a living" what about jumping in and developing a program specific to the BM rather than continually bag BS and similar programs

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:46 am

I didn't quite get the last bit, but I think your point was "get stuck in then!"

Good idea. I am not having a pop at the software content and never have. I have never used it, as I don't see the need for it.
I know some people like enjoy doing it "by the numbers" but that is just not me. For too many reasons to cover.
mashy

Unread postby Omphteliba » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:00 am

@paulg why don't you file a bug report with http://beersmith.com/ ?
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to Software