Braumeister 10L Beersmith profile

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Re: Braumeister 10L Beersmith profile

Unread postby DaBear » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:20 am

bm10profile.png

Mash tun volume measured to 17L to the lip of the kettle (leaving 3-4mm millimeters to the actual top), which is lower than dbetto's which I don't/can't come up with an good explanation for. Temperature of water was 13C, calibrated my measuring cup with another measuring cup and a digital scale. Nevertheless I actually screwed up this by not having the malt pipe in place since it will take up some volume. And forgot to run the pump too.

Since BM temperature controls for us, and theoretically there is no heat loss I could have left all Mash/Lauter-tun settings at 0.

90 minute boils because I'll be using pilsner malt in my upcoming brew.

Boil-off rate measured to 1.84L/hr. Determined that by bringing 8L water (ran the pump this time) to a boil, boil for 15 mins and measure all of the remaining water in the kettle. Multiply by 4.
Outside temperature 0C, outside humidity 80%, indoor ambient temperature 19C, indoor relative humidity 15%.

Loss in kettle measured to 1.38L. This is probably pretty conservative because this was only measured by dumping water through valve until stream of water stops and measure all remaining water. It does not account for any absorption by hops and cold break that I may leave behind. Subject to adjustment after a few brews with the BM.

Fermeter loss to 1.0L. Subject to adjustment after a few brews with the BM.
DaBear

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby DaBear » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:40 am

Couple of observations that I made during:

• Measuring marks on the center rod is off by about MINUS 20 to MINUS 30cl (markings sitting below the water line), consistently across all markings (8L, 10L, 12L).
    Pump exercised multiple times, doesn't matter.
  • Boil came up to 100C fine as expected, but during the 15 min boil (to measure boil off rate) the temp dropped to 98.5C and stayed there for the rest of the boil time.
    I already have the thermo sleeve around it but will disappointingly have to consider getting the hood.
  • 4.0L minimum needed to cover the upper heating coils.
    Good news for the 1 gallon BIAB kit from almost 12 months ago that I should be able to make in the BM10.
  • Cooling to 18C took 13 min with the BM 10L SS immersion chiller (ground water is pretty cold at this time of year)
DaBear

Unread postby Freitas » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Fantastic!! Thanks a lot for sharing the profile.
I was preparing myself to try to do this.

Eventually I'll get around to do it and post here.
Freitas

Unread postby RobC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:14 am

Hi, I do not have Beersmith but after about 18 brews with my 10l BM my measurements are as follows. I hope they help.
I use a measuring stick to gauge liquid levels (literally a stick marked with a sharpie on one side at 5mm gaps and at each 250ml on the other) where (on my machine) 1.59cm = 1l at room temperature and 1.66cm = 1l at 100c (volumes increase with temperature).
I use a 5 quid ebay camping mat for a thermo collar and boil with the BM lid half on. I get a good boil but have to keep an eye on boil overs. The boil rate is set at 102c and settles in at 100.5-101.
Boil off measures out to around 2.6-3l per hour (but most of my brews have been formulated with a boil of 30 mins)
Loss to grain in mash is between 600-800ml per kilo
Kettle loss to trub when using pellet hops loose in the wort (leaving most of the gubbins behind) is between 1.5-2l depending on recipe
Loss in fermenter is around 600ml

You mileage will of course vary. The best thing is to calibrate your BM by measuring liquid both in and out for a few brews. As suggested above, do not trust the guide markings on the centre rod and check that your measuring jug is accurate by weighing the water!

The BM 10l is a brilliant machine!
RobC

Braumeister 10L Beersmith profile

Unread postby DaBear » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 pm

This is how my (pitiful) boil looks like. By the looks of it I think my initial boil off rate of 1.84L/hr is a little less than observed with this brew but not by much.

Never mind that I completely cocked up my brew and missed OG. Expired malt, new mill, and no DME at hand. Pitched yeast too cold too I think, fingers crossed that it'll wake up and do its deed.
DaBear

Unread postby FlyingBike1254 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Awesome stuff. Thanks. :beer:

Cannot wait for mine to arrive. :beerbang:
FlyingBike1254

Unread postby beerlover1983 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 am

DaBear wrote:

This is how my (pitiful) boil looks like. By the looks of it I think my initial boil off rate of 1.84L/hr is a little less than observed with this brew but not by much.

Never mind that I completely cocked up my brew and missed OG. Expired malt, new mill, and no DME at hand. Pitched yeast too cold too I think, fingers crossed that it'll wake up and do its deed.

Thanks for sharing the profile.I need to use mine again soon not found the time.The boil rate above is the same as mine and that's how it was intended as told by spiedel they even took mine back for testing early doors but still the same.They did advise to boil with lid placed on the support bar you use when lifting the basket.Which does improve the boil.That said the beer has been fine with that boil rate so cant complain
beerlover1983

Unread postby antrog65 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:01 pm

beerlover1983 wrote:Another 10ltr owner here so will add my findings to this thread once i got a few more under my belt.

I would brew every week now if i had the room to ferment it all.The 10ltr is perfect for my consumption and space constraints im glad spiedel made this unit.

i AM brewing every week. Just placed a bulk order of FV's.
Could do with some more fridges though thats the problem...
antrog65

Model: 20 litres

Previous

Return to Software