Tips for working with BeerSmith

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Tips for working with BeerSmith

Unread postby martingale » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:05 pm

After a few batches and struggling to make the volumes add up in BS, I think I finally got the hang of it. Hopefully someone else can benefit from my lessons.

Mash Profile
  • check "BIAB Mash" as BM's grain absorption is more like BIAB. Grain absorption's about 0.6 fl oz/oz for me.
  • I sparge (see below), but since there's no sparge w/ BIAB in BS, I put the sparge volume as part of Mash Out step of my mash schedule as a placeholder.
  • You can't input "Est Mash Eff", it's calculated from "Tot Efficiency", so get that dialed in for your process. Personally, I get about 89% Mash Efficiency
  • There's interplay between "Batch Size" and your mash profile, so if you can't seems to adjust some volumes in mash profile, it may be because it's calculated from your batch size.

Sparging
  • I mash with 23L and sparge (more like rinse with room temp water), and it seems to be very effective
  • right after I lift the malt pipe, I start the boil and begin sparging. I haven't found the need to poke holes before rinsing.
  • for 1.047 wort pre-sparge, I added 9L of sparge water, ending with 1.041 wort. This means the sparge water resulted in 1.026 wort.

Tips
  • the 25L mark on the center pole is 14cm from the top of the pole. I estimate volume by measuring the distance between the top of the pole and the water level - one liter per cm.
  • I was confused why recipes from Speidel had temp rests of 0 min. After a few batches, I realized it's much easier to program in this way.
martingale

Model: 20 litres

Re: Tips for working with BeerSmith

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 am

As a moderator on this forum I have deleted the link you posted, however if you feel that this link will really improve this forum then I suggest you provide the forum owner with this info.
If I am incorrect then I am sure your link will be reinstated.....attn Niels......

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Return to Software