20 Litre BM Beersmith Profile

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Re: 20 Litre BM Beersmith Profile

Unread postby Scozia_Joe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Any reason mash tun volume set to 40L?
Scozia_Joe

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:50 pm

I think that you'll find that 40L is the maximum volume of a 20L BM.

If you were to fill it to the brim.

The info is in Beersmith (As far as I can tell anyway) only so that it can warn you if your reqiured volumes exceed the capacity of your vessel.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby red ice » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Isn't it also to do with calculating strike temperatures which are irrelevant in the BM's case
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep

Unread postby Scozia_Joe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:49 pm

So I guess what Im wondering is in my friends BIAB setup. his pot is a 32L pot, so he sets his mash tun volume setting to 32L because that's the maximum his vessel can can hold (pot/mashtun/BM... the name of the vessel doesn't matter). This sets up the base line for everything else. Combine the water volume, brewhouse effeciency, and how much he wants to go into the fermenter, beersmith can now tell him if his recipe (grain + water) will exceed the capacity of his mash tun when doing a full volume mash (which is what the BM is designed to do too). If he told beersmith he wanted to put 8kg of grain in a recipe and end up with 19L into the fermenter it would tell him that he would overflow the pot in a full volume mash. So just wondering how this works with the BM setup.
Scozia_Joe

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi S J,

You have it in one mate.

With the 20 l BM the maximum amount of the volume of mash, that is grain and water, is 40 litres.

Using the instructions that are with the BM you will have 25 litres of water plus the volume that the grain displaces which will probably give you around a volume of 30 litres. This is approximate as I dont have access to beersmith to obtain the exact volume.

If, like some others on here you decide to do a full volume mash then Beersmith will tell you if you are going to "max out" your kettle with the mash.
If you change that figure to less than 40 litres Beermith will still tell you if you are to exceed the recorded volume.

Maybe someone who regularly does a full volume mash and has used the maximum grain of around 6 kilos would like to comment as to the actual result. The figures in this case may really need to be accurate with attention to how much trub is left in the kettle as well as this may affect the total water volume required and may go close to the top of the BM kettle.
Sorry only thinking aloud at this stage :)

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Scozia_Joe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks for the reply Dicko would be good to get Nesto viewpoint on this also!
Scozia_Joe

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:03 am

Scozia_Joe wrote:Thanks for the reply Dicko would be good to get Nesto viewpoint on this also!

What Dicko said ;)

I actually haven't calibrated the max volume, but it's a little over 40 liters... about 43ish. It's on my to do list (after I get a few more competition beers done) to do a test brew of max grain and wort volume. I want to do a double mash and see how much wort I can do a boil with. But back to your question... One thing Beersmith can't do is tell you if your grain bill is too big (~6.5kg is max), but it can tell you if the volume needed to achieve your batch size with the grain bill you specify will overflow the vessel, just like your friend's BIAB example. Beersmith will put a red bullet next to the Mash Volume Needed and Mash Tun Volume fields on both the Mash and Vols tabs.

Screenshot 2015-02-07 17.51.09.png
Vols Tab

Screenshot 2015-02-07 17.51.03.png
Mash Tab

(FYI, I don't usually sparge, this is just a recipe I use to test ideas.)

So in this example, the mash water added plus sparge water is 38.76 liters and the grain displacement adds 3.91 liters (from 6kg of grain) for a total of 42.67 - over the volume set, so you get the red bullets. The one thing Beersmith doesn't know (and I haven't measured it either) is how much volume the malt pipe and gaskets displace, which you would definitely want to know if you were going to do a full volume mash and not sparge.

Unread postby Scozia_Joe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks Nesto :beer:
Scozia_Joe

Unread postby joecast » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 am

Great info guys! Well done and thanks for doing the work for me ;)
joecast

Unread postby twittepartyzone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:43 am

Hello everyone.
Thank you for the information you have posted here and helped me a lot in 20L profile,
but I also bought a small bucket of 10L , someone has the profile for this?
twittepartyzone

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Icefever » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:14 am

I'd like to say thanks to all you guys & gals that have worked out the finer side of BS...I've just setup my copy of BS..so I'm going back to the start of this thread and reading it all again....cheers. :beer:
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Unread postby eli.donald » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Lol I'll probably be joining you back at the start: [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
First time I've been interviewed for a brewing podcast - was terrifying.
No laughing at me!

http://www.eliapplebydonald.co.uk/blog/ ... g-podcast/
eli.donald

Unread postby Icefever » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Your welcome Eli :wink: we'll do it together............ :lol: :lol:
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Unread postby Winklehoc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the BM and have not designed a beer with Beersmith yet. The profile you have posted Dicko is really helpful, so thank you. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:1) do you sparge by just jugging a litre at a time over the raised malt pipe? 2) Is this profile suitable for a no sparge ie full volume of water in the BM?
Winklehoc

Unread postby Tipsy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:13 am

Winklehoc wrote:Hello everyone, I'm new to the BM and have not designed a beer with Beersmith yet. The profile you have posted Dicko is really helpful, so thank you. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:1) do you sparge by just jugging a litre at a time over the raised malt pipe? 2) Is this profile suitable for a no sparge ie full volume of water in the BM?

Yes and yes. :beerbang:
Tipsy

PreviousNext

Return to Software