Double mashing profile in Beersmith

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Double mashing profile in Beersmith

Unread postby Dennis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I have been trying Beersmith the past few days (and will try Brewtarget later for comparison) and it looks like I have run into a limitation of the program - but of course I'm hoping it's just me :)

The recipe I have been using for testing, and that I will be brewing this weekend, calls for 8.5 KG of malt. As this is a lot more than my 20L BM can hold, I'll divide the malt in two, do a three-step infusion with the first batch and then repeat the process with the second batch, cooling the wort between batches to a level where I can start mashing the second batch with a protein rest like the first batch.

I have tried a few things to get this set up as a mash profile in Beersmith and looked around on various forums, with no luck. I know Beersmith is not geared towards brewing with something like a BM and for brews like this one you'd normally use a larger brewpot or less water, but has anyone had success setting up something similar?

Dennis
Dennis

Model: 20 litres

Re: Double mashing profile in Beersmith

Unread postby bhe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi!

What i do is:
1. Start with a normal scedule with the steps you want, run it until you are done with the sparge.
2. Pause and cancel program.
3. Chill down the wort to your wanted mash in temp.
4. Insert maltpipe and fill it up.
5. Start the program again and now let it run to it's end.
....6 After a month or so, enjoy :)

By the way. An extra maltpipe and set of filters will help a lot. Pretty expensive but absolutely worth the money in the long run if you like high gravity beer.

Sorry didn't realize that you were asking how to set up the mash in beersmith.
I just do it like a regular temperature mash.
Then i add 25 l of water at mash in, beersmith calculate your sparge volume. Use half of it when you sparge the first batch of malt and the rest at the final sparge.
Efficiency will be lower than normal so don't aim too high in beersmith. I land around 70% when double mashing with 12 kg malt and get around 85% with a single mash with 6 kg.

Hope this helped you.
bhe

Unread postby Dennis » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks bhe, I don expect there will be an option to create a correct profile. And thanks for the tip about the efficiency, I'll take that into account :)
Dennis

Unread postby bhe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:05 am

Another thing to be aware of is that the final gravity ends up a little higher than what beersmith predicts.
Maybe my mash schedule is the reason for this.

35 C - mash in
52 C - 20 min - Protein
67 C - 60 min - S1
73 C - 60 min - S2
78 C - 15 min - Sparge
Chill to about 50 C, mash in
52 C - 20 min - Protein
67 C - 60 min - S1
73 C - 60 min - S2
78 C - 15 min - Sparge
102 C - 90 min - Boil
bhe

Unread postby Dennis » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 am

That's funny, I ended up lower than Beersmith predicted - 1.085, should have been 1.095. Still fairly high, 1.095 would be a bit much for an IIPA so I'm pleased with the result. I'll try to figure out what's the cause of the 0.01 difference.

FYI, my schedule:

Started off with 25 L

protein rest at 52 C for 15 min.
S1 65 C for 60 min.
mash out & sparge at 74 C

Lowered temperature to 50 C and did it again with fresh malt. Sparged both times with 3L to get back to 25L., ended up with about 21-22 L after a 60 minute boil.
Dennis

Return to Software