Software Differences

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Software Differences

Unread postby Crusty » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:23 am

Hi guys. I've asked this over @AHB forums but should of probably asked here first.

Entering the same recipe into three different software programmes, BrewMate, BeerSmith 2 & Beer Tools Pro gets some pretty conflicting figures & each has it's own calculations based on my inputs of boil off, liquor to grain ratios, recipe & strike water volume.

BeerSmith & BrewMate calculate the desired strike volume & sparge where BTP does not. I am finding BTP to be the better of all the programmes & I'm using it from now on. Because of no guide line as to what volume to add for mash in nor sparge volume, I opted for a strike volume of 52lt & using a sparge volume of 1lt/kg grain, I will be sparging with 10.3lt of water for a 10.3kg grain bill. The recipe I'm doing is for 40lt into the fermenter @75% Brewhouse efficiency & an evaporation loss of 6l/hr ( tested )

Anyone out there using the 50lt BM care to share your strike in volume & sparge volume & litres into the fermenter.

My last brew using BeerSmith yielded an extra 6lt of wort @correct gravity & ended up being 75% not 70% as it was set in BeerSmith.

That recipe told me to strike in with 55lt of water & sparge with 11.9lt of water so the volumes were too high for the batch size but I hit my gravity which was a bit odd.
Crusty

Model: 50 litres

Re: Software Differences

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Crusty,

I'm still dialing in my numbers (only 6 batches so far), so I can't give you hard figures.

Normally I use the target volume as the strike water (so 23~25l with the short malt pipe and 45~50l with the normal malt pipe) and about 0.7l/kg of grains for sparging. I use the 0.7l because a few experienced users (e.g. Dan and Batz IIRC) agreed on this number somewhere on this forum.

For boil off I use about 5l/90min. This is a number I never verified, but I also came across on the forum.

Extract efficiency is in the 75%~78% range when calculating my recipes but I mostly overshoot my SG with 1~2 points.

I hope this helps a bit.

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Crusty » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks niels.
I tested my boil for an hour & got 6lt on the day so I set that up for my boil off.
I'm puzzled that I got the extra 6lt of wort @ expected gravity. I was certain my gravity would of been down due to the extra volume but my efficiency was much better than the 70% I had entered into BeerSmith. My actual efficiency was 75% so I'm working with that figure from now on. I think I'll just cut my initial strike volume of 55lt back to 52lt & see if that gets me closer to expected volume. The beer that yielded the extra volume was a Cream Ale, 4.5%. It's been kegged for 11 days & it's a fantastic beer. I normally don't like to drink them before the full two weeks in the keg but this beer is so easy to drink. A light malt character, low on the hops & bitterness & a bit too easy to drink. This beer will be on tap at all times. Four Andale Floryte taps at my house but I never seem to get them all operating at the same time.
Cheers
Crusty

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:32 am

Crusty wrote: My actual efficiency was 75% Cheers

I work on 75% in Beersmith and generally overshoot by a couple of points.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Return to Software