Beersmith volumes

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Beersmith volumes

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Pulling this out from another thread...
Luis Coentrao wrote:I recently made my first No-Sparge BM Mash (thanks to Nesto and all the folks), just loved it.

I also use Beersmith for a while. I use a batch size of 20L and Brewhouse efficiency 77%.
I regularly reach mash efficiencies (in Beersmith software) 85%. My pre-boil data is quite the same as stated in Beersmith (SG and volume). However, what I found is a 2-3 gravity points lower OG in comparison with Beersmith data, with equal post-boil volumes and batch sizes. The only way to get a similar data is to delete the cool shrinkage number (4% to 0%, in liters 1L to 0L) and to increase the trub loss for about 1L (from 2L to 3L). With these data, the difference between pre-boil SG and OG is the same in Beersmith and real-life.

Other thing, the Beersmith pre-boil volume takes into account the mash temperature (78C)?

Luis, your problem is familiar and I found this a few months ago...
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9827.0

But I realized a few weeks ago, when Luis mentioned something similar, that I really didn't understand what was being said in the thread from the Beersmith forum. I think I finally understand what BeerSmith is doing! The 4% increase is built into pre-boil volumes - you can see it on the volumes tab in a recipe - so that volume will match what you expect as the boil begins. The 4% isn't in the Mash section, only the boil section to calculate post-boil volume. That's not a huge deal for me, I have a calculator in the brewing spreadsheet that I use to back out the volume I need before heating the water up. And then when I measure at mash out temp (77C) when I'm getting ready to boil, there is only a 1% difference from 77C to 100C in apparent volume.

But what's leading to your problem of losing 2-3 points of gravity is that it appears Beersmith is also adding that extra 4% to your gravity calculation as water, which it isn't. So if you hit your Beersmith calculated pre-boil gravity, that means you will miss your Beersmith calculated post-boil gravity. This is what users g8tors and brewfun in the referenced Beersmith forum thread found...

The equation should be: (pre-boil vol)(pre-boil Gravity Units) = (post boil vol)(post boil Gravity Units)

... but in Beersmith, the equation used is: (pre-boil vol)(pre-boil GU) = (post boil vol)(.96)(post boil GU)

Another way to look at it is the first equation assumes all measurements are made at the same temperature - probably 100C. For the 2nd equation to be accurate, you'd need to measure pre-boil volume at 22C and post-boil volume at 100C.

I haven't seen confirmation of this from Brad, but it fits with the formulas. I haven't figured out how to account for this in my recipe design yet - or even IF I should. I mean, I can miss by 3 points for many other reasons ;)

Model: 20 litres

Re: Beersmith volumes

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Nesto,

:beer:
Great thread!!

My last Brew numbers,
- Beersmith data: pre-boil SG 1.049, pre-boil Vol. 26.5L, post-boil SG 1.059, post-boil Vol. 23L, Batch size 20L
- My data: pre-boil SG 1.050, pre-boil Vol. (80C) 26.5L, post-boil SG 1.057, post-boil Vol. 23L, Batch size 20L

My pre-boil Vol. of 26.5L was measured at 80C. To get the "real" volume we should multiply to 0.97.

If we use Beersmith equation: 26.5 X 97 X 50 = post-boil SG X 23 X 0.96,
Post-boil SG=1.058. I think that's it.
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Return to Software