Looking for Beersmith2 mash profile for BM 50l - med. body

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Looking for Beersmith2 mash profile for BM 50l - med. body

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:24 pm

I got my BM 50 today. :)
So far I have used very simple mashing profiles. Usually 2 step, medium body and it seems to fit brewing ales form reasonably well modified grain.
Mash in at, hold at 67 for 60 min and mash out by holding 10 min at 76 and then sparge.
My simple equipment did not really allow anything more complicated :)

I was reading BM manual and mashing profiles used are way more complicated than those I have used. No problem, because it's automated.

What also troubles me a bit are those huge amounts of water. I usually stay around 2,5 l for 1 kg of grain.
Looks like, this is not possible with BM if I use about 11-12 kg of grains.

Can you please recommend a medium body mash profile that can be used with BM 50l.

Cheers.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Re: Looking for Beersmith2 mash profile for BM 50l - med. bo

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:49 pm

I played around with few profiles and looks like I have to use "Temperature" as a type to get it working.
Am I on the right track?
bruulog

Unread postby niels » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 pm

bruulog wrote:Can you please recommend a medium body mash profile that can be used with BM 50l.

There is a section in the Recipes forum dedicated to mash profiles. You can have a look at the proposed profiles over there.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 pm

bruulog wrote:I got my BM 50 today. :)
So far I have used very simple mashing profiles. Usually 2 step, medium body and it seems to fit brewing ales form reasonably well modified grain.
Mash in at, hold at 67 for 60 min and mash out by holding 10 min at 76 and then sparge.
My simple equipment did not really allow anything more complicated :)

I was reading BM manual and mashing profiles used are way more complicated than those I have used. No problem, because it's automated.

What also troubles me a bit are those huge amounts of water. I usually stay around 2,5 l for 1 kg of grain.
Looks like, this is not possible with BM if I use about 11-12 kg of grains.

Can you please recommend a medium body mash profile that can be used with BM 50l.

Cheers.

You might want to take a look through the Mash Profile posts, specifically one from Cervantes...
https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=245#p2185

You can still go right ahead with using a two step mash, but with the Braumeister, you can now experiment with multi-step mashing! A lot of us have taken to starting our mash profile with a dough-in temperature in the acid rest range to setup the mash (see the post and links from Cervantes). I've been playing around with varying mash profiles depending on the specific beer I'm making. I've attached 3. Since I have a BM20, the volumes won't match what you need, but maybe give you some ideas. I used the light body, general for a recent English bitter (4% ABV). The light body, Saison for a 7.5% ABV Saison. And the med body, general for a Barleywine (11% ABV - used LME to get to 1.096SG).

As for your mash thickness, the BM works differently than a 3V system. More like brew in a bag. I mash with full volume and don't sparge (see this thread). My thickness is usually around 5 to 6 liters per kg.

bruulog wrote:I played around with few profiles and looks like I have to use "Temperature" as a type to get it working.
Am I on the right track?

Yes, you'll mainly be using the Temperature type.
Attachments
00_BM20, Light Body, No Sparge.txt
Light body, general
(640 Bytes) Downloaded 114 times
00_BM20, Med Body, No sparge.txt
Med body, general
(780 Bytes) Downloaded 141 times
00_BM20, Light Body, No sparge, Saison.txt
Light body, Saison
(1010 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 am

Thank you for your help.
I am going to fire it up today and see what happens.
I love English bitter. I usually brew bitters and ESB's because you can not get those from the shops around here. :)
Until now (in my old set up) I have used medium body mash schedule but I'll experiment with light body schedule in BM and see, what happens.
Also Irish stout is something I really love. Low ABV, balanced and dry.

Cheers, and thank you for your help.
bruulog

Return to Software