understanding beersmith 2

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Re: understanding beersmith 2

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

paulg wrote:real bummer
collected BM as planned tuesday cleaned it ,spent hours playing with beersmith and reading internet.
had yeast starter bubbling nicely in brew fridge.
got up wednesday morning no water to the village,problem with the supply pumps, today friday still no water
berw day on hold until water returns and I am confident it is back for some time.
meanwhile BM sits in corner shining at me.

It looks like Murphy has invited himself to your brewday.

We all feel with you!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby paulg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 am

water back this morning ,if it remains all day will fill and treat water tonight and try to brew tomorrow
paulg

Unread postby paulg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm

not sure if this should be in another section?
brewday completed
mash in 30 litres and 6.4 kilo grain in 25 litre malt pipe, was loosing some water under the malt pipe and had to really tighten the wing nut.maybe I was pushing the malt quantity to full.
90 minute mash ,sparge with 9.5 litres volume as predicted by beer smith. specific gravity 1.044 prediction 1.042
90 minute boil was about 1.5 litres short after cooling SG 1.057 predicted 1.054,whirlpooled and left for 30 minutes
drained 23 litres into fermentor ,very clear wort using speidel hop filter and tilting with 50mm thick wood under rear leg
so I was short of 2 litres
1.5 litres lost to boil and 0.5 litre extra lost to BM to fermentor transfer,I had equipment profile set 2 litres loss to trub need to change to 2.5 litres
beersmith gives 82.1% mash efficiency and 69.2 % brewhouse
I think if I had sparged the extra for losses it would push the brewhouse to 75 -76%

lessons learned
I need to take more careful measurements
I need a bigger bucket to sit the malt pipe in /tip the used malt into,the one I used was to small diameter resulting in grain all over the floor.

total time 7 hours,I am sure this will reduce as I get more used to BM , overall very happy with first time
paulg

Previous

Return to Software