Mash Profile in Beersmith

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Mash Profile in Beersmith

Unread postby Winklehoc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi All,
Can you guys please advise on suitable mash profiles for English Pale Ales and American Pale Ales, the Water/Grain ratio is starting to freak me out as a couple of my mashes have been very thick, to a point the Braumeister pump appears to be struggling to circulate and the resultant wort has been cloudy.
Winklehoc

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Mash Profile in Beersmith

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:39 am

There's no need to be too concerned re grain / water ratio.

Just add the water as recommended and ensure that the element is covered when the pump is working during the mash.
Beersmith is not designed for a BM especially in the Mash Profile section.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Maxpower » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 am

I know you said there is no need to worry about water/grain ratio but I beg to differ. I decided to do a higher gravity beer today with about 2 kg's more grain. Total grain bill was 6.38. I filled the BM to 25 litres then added the grain. The mash was a lot thicker. My efficiency took a hit too. Estimated pre boil gravity was 1.057. I got 1.045.

I'm not sure if this was as a result of the water to grain ratio.
Maxpower

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 am

Winklehoc wrote:Hi All,
Can you guys please advise on suitable mash profiles for English Pale Ales and American Pale Ales, the Water/Grain ratio is starting to freak me out as a couple of my mashes have been very thick, to a point the Braumeister pump appears to be struggling to circulate and the resultant wort has been cloudy.

Can you post the details of the recipe please? Cloudy wort is not necessarily an issue but too thick to pump?! Oooer
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Return to Software