BM20 - Volume Below Tap?

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

BM20 - Volume Below Tap?

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:12 am

Does anyone know the volume below the tap level of the BM20?

Am considering revising my Equipment Profile to include this full volume, so that I can recalculate my recipes, so that I never have to tip the BM, but just accept that the full volume beneath the tap will be lost.

I think that this will give me more consistency in my into fermenter volumes, as the trub losses will be the same regardless of how much hot/cold break and hop debris is in the bottom of the kettle.

I'm away at work at the moment, so don't have access to the BM to measure it.

Thanks
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: BM20 - Volume Below Tap?

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:30 am

Without searching I think it was stated on here at around 5 litres. it may be different between models of the BM

I do tilt the BM to get a couple of more litres....I usually get 22 litres into the fermenter which in most cases on a standard brew gives me a corny keg full after cubing, letting it settle over time and filtering. If I achieve more I have the choice to bottle it, although the extra amount is usually not worth worrying about, so in most cases it just gets tipped.

The figure is very easy to measure by filling the BM, draining down to the level of the outlet and measuring the result.

For the hair splitters it will be influenced by the amount of hops that may remain in the kettle and trub which may also be protein etc which can increase with the use of clarifying agents such as Brewbrite, Alfloc, Copperfloc, etc.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Wobbly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 am

Hi Cevantes

As I think you are aware I ferment in a Williamswarn and therefore my upper limit is around 26/27lt of wort into the WW.

To achieve this my boil vols are usually around 34 to 35 liters in my 20lt BM and one thing I have noticed is that the "boil vigor" is less than if I was boiling 26 to 27 liters.

The difference I have noted with the larger boil vol is that I don't see the "Egg Drop Soup" effect about 10 mins after reaching boil temperature and consequently there "seems" to be more quite small trub particle remaining in suspension even after allowing a 60 min stand at the end of the boil. I use Rain Water add Brewbrite and have tried adding additional Calcium into the BM at the start of the boil and my pre boil pH is about 5.3

Not sure if it is the less vigor of the boil or something else that is causing my issues

I guess where this is leading to is that if you intend adjusting/increasing your boil vol to accommodate leaving a greater vol in the BM post boil be mindful that your boil vigor will change (reducing boil off for one thing) due to the larger vol and still maintaining the same energy input (2000 watts) and whether it will also impact on Hot Break formulation I don't know but there is a lot of literature out there indicating that boil vigor plays a big part in Hot Break formulation

My 2c worh

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks Wobbly,

I ferment in converted Cornelius Kegs, so am only looking for 19L into the fermentor. Even with say 5 litres below the tap level I'm pretty sure that I can achieve a reasonable boil on 24 litres with my homemade jacket and hood.

I suppose really it's going to be a case of measuring the volume below the tap, giving it a go, recording my results and doing a bit of fine tuning.

I'll take the measurements when I get home and post here in case anyone else is interested.

I propose to fill the BM to just above the tap, drain down to tap level, then tip the remaining water into a bucket and weigh it. Then if I'm really keen adjust for gravity and temperature.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Return to Software