20L BM Beer Smith Profile

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Re: 20L BM Beer Smith Profile

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Cervantes wrote:Thanks for that Nick,

Mine is very similar.

I have a question regarding "Mash Tun Weight" and "Mash Tun Specific Heat" though.

As I see it these settings are use to calculate heat loss during the mashing process. In theory there won't be any heat loss as the Braumeister controls the temperature during the mashing process.

So I have Mash Tun Weight and "Mash Tun Specific Heat" both set set to zero.

Are my assumptions correct? I'm new to this and would welcome other peoples opinions.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy!
This feature is useful in the Mash In procedure, to predict the mash in temp according to your target temp.
Let's say you want a 63Cº mash in step, then you must have the water a bit higher so when you put the malt the temp drops to 63Cº.
I have it set at 7.5 kg as it is my guess of what the tun and pipe would weight...but it is just a guess. Wish I could know the exact weight (mass) of the mash tun.

Mash Tun Weight – Approximate weight (mass) of your mash tun – used to compensate mash temperatures for the thermal mass of your tun.
Victor Coelho

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Victor,

Thanks for that.

My thinking is based on the fact that the BM has temperature control, so therefore the feature is really redundant. If the water temp drops by a degree when you add the grain bill the BM will automatically correct the temperature, so calculating these losses isn't required.

Also with the BM your water is added cold and brought up to mash in temp. By then your vessel is at the required temperature regardless of it's thermal mass. If you were adding the pre-heater water to a cold vessel then the thermal mass calculation would be relevant.

That was my thinking anyway.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Cervantes wrote:Victor,

Thanks for that.

My thinking is based on the fact that the BM has temperature control, so therefore the feature is really redundant. If the water temp drops by a degree when you add the grain bill the BM will automatically correct the temperature, so calculating these losses isn't required.

Also with the BM your water is added cold and brought up to mash in temp. By then your vessel is at the required temperature regardless of it's thermal mass. If you were adding the pre-heater water to a cold vessel then the thermal mass calculation would be relevant.

That was my thinking anyway.

Cheers
Andy

Absolutely Andy.

That why we own Braumeisters...no guess work involved and very easy to use. :lol:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:00 am

I totally agree with you guys!
To brew with Braumeister there is no need of any software, just follow the BM guidelines with the initial water and then control the wort gravity with some more water.
That´s all you need to do.
I like using BS, it not only gives me precise figures and targets but also helps me improve and be consistent with my brews.
So I keep my numbers as close as I can get.
I would say that it´s like driving a car. You can drive a car without any understanding of how a car works, but if you do, you can drive better.
But that's my opinion and I agree that setting up your equipment in BS is not absolutely necessary.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby BigTed » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:41 am

Just to bring back an old thread. Im messing with my Beersmith program and I found that the main problem is in the advanced settings the value for the wort/water retained in the grain is too high. No matter what combo of information I input I never need to sparge as much as Beersmith states. Not that it matters I guess.
I agree with Dicko.....could never understand why homebrewers get all wet between the legs over brewhouse efficiency. Who give a fat rats tail? I long as my post boil volume and gravity is consistent I will decide how much I waste or ferment with.

My mash volume is 27L, sparge with about 7.5 or 8 litres (Beersmith always says 8.8L approx.) to bring up to 30L preboil. That leaves my 25L post boil, and 21 or 22 in the fermenter and 19 in the keg.

Steve
BigTed

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:08 am

BigTed wrote:Just to bring back an old thread. Im messing with my Beersmith program and I found that the main problem is in the advanced settings the value for the wort/water retained in the grain is too high. No matter what combo of information I input I never need to sparge as much as Beersmith states. Not that it matters I guess.
I agree with Dicko.....could never understand why homebrewers get all wet between the legs over brewhouse efficiency. Who give a fat rats tail? I long as my post boil volume and gravity is consistent I will decide how much I waste or ferment with.

My mash volume is 27L, sparge with about 7.5 or 8 litres (Beersmith always says 8.8L approx.) to bring up to 30L preboil. That leaves my 25L post boil, and 21 or 22 in the fermenter and 19 in the keg.

Steve

Yup, change the grain absorption to something like 0.700 fl oz/oz!

Unread postby BigTed » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 am

After doing hundreds of brews and 96 on the BM I'm doing my first now as a single infusion. I have just realised how redundant apart from the beer design is beersmith, I have always stepped mash with the BM but after hours and hours or reading I'm doing a first infusion mash at 64 for 60 min then 71 for 10 min to fi ish off then 76 for mash out. I'm not making another YouTube video but will be interested to see how this APA turns out.
Steve
BigTed

Unread postby BigTed » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:44 am

Nesto wrote:
BigTed wrote:Just to bring back an old thread. Im messing with my Beersmith program and I found that the main problem is in the advanced settings the value for the wort/water retained in the grain is too high. No matter what combo of information I input I never need to sparge as much as Beersmith states. Not that it matters I guess.

Steve

Yup, change the grain absorption to something like 0.700 fl oz/oz!

Thanks brother will do.
Have you seen my BM YouTube stuff in Bigteds Manshed?
BigTed

Unread postby BigTed » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:56 am

What's that in metric bro?
BigTed

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Steve,

Beersmith only has the grain absorption in fl ozs. Unfortunately there is no metric option in the software. :roll:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Yeah, kinda crazy that when you set the rest of Beersmith to work in metric, it doesn't change the Advanced settings units! But for those who care (assuming this American has done his conversion correctly!) 0.7 fl oz/oz should be about 0.73 liters/kg :)

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:18 pm

BigTed wrote:. I'm not making another YouTube video but will be interested to see how this APA turns out.
Steve

:( I enjoy your You Tube videos.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby twittepartyzone » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello everyone,
I am a Portuguese who does not speak or write well in English.
My apologies for something that does not say good.
My BM 20L has not come yet and I have some doubts:
Someone has setup and mash profiles for beersmith for small bucket of 10L.
This is because I am still a little brewer, almost glad to have a BM and to have been able to save money to buy, but I decided to buy the bucket 10L to experience and not spoil much malt in the experiments. So whenever I can make faster beer. :beer: :drink:

Thank you all and enjoyed reading the news that are above ... I want to be with you :) :beerbang:
twittepartyzone

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby LMoerkens » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:47 am

hi Niels.

Put me on the list, definitely interested.

Greetings,
LMoerkens

Unread postby TRUBEeR » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:16 pm

So? Any updates on software for BM?

Just curious... :lol:
TRUBEeR

Model: 50 litres (2015)

PreviousNext

Return to Software