Brewers Friend, anyone?

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Brewers Friend, anyone?

Unread postby royco » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:06 pm

I can't find a reference to Brewers Friend here. I use Beersmith and find it to be great, but with some reservations vis-a-vis Braumeister profiles. When searching for certain tools I often seem to end up on the BF site and it looks very comprehensive. Just wondering......
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Brewers Friend, anyone?

Unread postby eli.donald » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:11 pm

I've always used beerSmith but tinkering with brewer's friend now as it seems better for Bm
First time I've been interviewed for a brewing podcast - was terrifying.
No laughing at me!

http://www.eliapplebydonald.co.uk/blog/ ... g-podcast/
eli.donald

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:40 pm

I've always used BF for yeast starters and water profiles, as BS doesn't offer steps in their starter tab, and no tool for mash pH predictions.
Emailed BF about a download to use the tools offline (as in comprehensive program like BS) and they said they are working on one.
Dan

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:30 am

I use Beersmith, but had a good look at Brewer's Friend as I liked the fact that it is all based on line and I would be able to play with my recipes from wherever I may be at the time.

However after using it for a while I felt that it's still not quite there yet.

The calculators and resources available on the site are great, but the software isn't as fully featured as Beersmith............... Not yet anyway.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:13 am

After having my computer crash I have decided to make the switch from Beersmith to Brewer's Friend so that my recipes and brew sessions are stored online. Brew Sessions can be entered on my phone as I brew and then synchronised with the website once complete.

As I see it with Brewer's Friend.

Downsides are..........

The malt and hop profiles are a bit limited, no Australian malts featured for example, but there is an option to enter custom malts.

Mash profiles can't be saved in Brewer's Friend and need to be entered each time.

'Fermentation profiles can't be saved in Brewer's Friend and need to be entered each time.

Upsides are...........

Recipes and Brewing Data stored online. Can be accessed from anywhere with internet access. Backup in case your computer crashes or you change computers.

I personally don't "No Chill" but there is a "No Chill" option there which Beersmith doesn't have.

Probably a better range of calculators available on the website.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby royco » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Funny this should happen now; I just purchased Brewers Friend and made up a sample recipe for fun. Water vol seems closer than BS. And the timers look like they will be handy especially on my cellphone. Looking forward to doing my next brew on BF
royco

Unread postby raysv » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:29 pm

royco wrote:Funny this should happen now; I just purchased Brewers Friend and made up a sample recipe for fun. Water vol seems closer than BS. And the timers look like they will be handy especially on my cellphone. Looking forward to doing my next brew on BF

How did you setup the equipment profile?
raysv

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am

Has anyone got a set up for his. Mine is obviously wrong, i did a 6kg pale malt IPA yesterday and brewers friend had it quite high ph, so I played around with additions until I got it down to 5.3 on the software. Actually used 15g gypsum which seems a bit much and sure enough ended up with a mash ph of 4.9.

I am guessing my set up is wrong, anyone use brewers friend and can adivise?
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm

I use a pencil. Not being sarcastic. Just never understood what the gain is?
mashy

Unread postby MattSR » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 am

Nothing wrong with pen and paper. Horses for courses or personal preference I reckon.

Also, doing it by hand means you can change the process and add whatever step or factor in whatever you need (such as the chill / no chill mentioned above)
MattSR

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am

ok, going with this, with pencil in hand and given the below

water profile
Calcium 10ppm
Magnesium 2.5ppm
Sodium 9ppm
Sulfate 10ppm
Chloride 12ppm
Bicarbonate 9.5ppm

grain bill-6kg Maris Otter
mash volume 23 litres at 65C

whats my expected PH?, and whats the formula to work out additions to hit 5.4 PH?
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Wed May 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Ok let me clarify.

I don't do the mathematical brews. I make fine ale with a recipe.
For me its not necessary to calculate, initial volume, final volume, YAN, PH, IBU's, colour, evaporation rates etc.

I periodically test my water, its as hard as nails and mineral rich, so I guess I got lucky!!

I don't need to store my recipes online, they are typed up and are just as secure here.
Heres a thought ... have you ever considered what happens to your data if BS or BF don't pay the hosting fees?

For me Beer making doesn't need to be that complex and I think it puts a lot of people off AG brewing unnecessarily.
Me I like to keep it simple. Brewers friend have some cracking online calculators. I do occasionally use them.

I also like the adage, if it ain't broke lets not fix it until it is :D
mashy

Unread postby Mashman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 pm

mashy wrote:
I don't do the mathematical brews. I make fine ale with a recipe.
For me its not necessary to calculate, initial volume, final volume, YAN, PH, IBU's, colour, evaporation rates etc.

Me too, no stress just good beer. After a few brews with the BM it is instinctive unless doing something really different.

M
Mashman

Return to Software