What software are you using?

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

RE: What software are you using?

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:57 pm

I got my profile from Aussie Home Brewer.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Wollenbizzle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I've been tweeking a 20l BM profile in iBrewmaster and have never missed an OG by more than a point. Mash, sparge, boil and final volumes are all perfect. I'd definitely recommend this software for BM users... Ps this is my first post, what a great site, so hard to find other BM enthusiasts.
Wollenbizzle

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:34 pm

culblanc wrote:I use Beersmith as well. Brad Smith asks yearly for new ideas and improvement suggestions, and every time I suggest to include Braumeister in the profiles, and every time he answers that if I come up with such a profile he'll insert it...

I have not yet figured out how to use Beersmith efficiently with Braumeister, but at least it gives some handy guidelines for the process.

When I replied to Brad Smiths last request for ways to improve his software I suggested the same thing and a few days later he emailed me asking me to contribute an equipment profile and other details.
I have forwarded him my profile for my BM and a recipe so that he may pick all other details pertaining to the 20l BM and his software.
Fingers crossed....
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Dicko wrote:When I replied to Brad Smiths last request for ways to improve his software I suggested the same thing and a few days later he emailed me asking me to contribute an equipment profile and other details.
I have forwarded him my profile for my BM and a recipe so that he may pick all other details pertaining to the 20l BM and his software.
Fingers crossed....

if he does can you just download the profile and add it into beersmith? (i use beersmith for hop and grain calculations but don't really bother with precise volumes in the software, so i'm a it of a beersmith luddite) he seems quite interested in improving the software. also, he is a horrible interviewer, he gets excellent guests on his podcast but is so bad in conversation that it is unlistenable. imo. why mention that here? i don't know
dinnerstick

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 pm

It would be interesting to know if he has asked a 50litre owner the same thing...I guess he would have.
Imo the software at the moment does not cater for mashing in with 25 litres as with the BM20 and then sparging with 7 or 8 litres and the default grain absorption amounts appear to be incorrect for the BM.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby swiggingpig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 am

Dicko wrote:It would be interesting to know if he has asked a 50litre owner the same thing...I guess he would have.
Imo the software at the moment does not cater for mashing in with 25 litres as with the BM20 and then sparging with 7 or 8 litres and the default grain absorption amounts appear to be incorrect for the BM.

Did you know that you can adjust the grain absorption rate in the 'Advanced Options' ? I've set mine to be the same as BIAB and it is quite close.

In my recipe I adjust my initial volume to be 25L and my current equipment profile gives me the sparge volume I need for that gravity of beer.

:beer:
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby whitegoose » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am

I find my grain absorption is about 1:1 (eg. 5.5kg of grain = about 5L of absorbtion) - seems really high to me!
whitegoose

Unread postby swiggingpig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 am

whitegoose wrote:I find my grain absorption is about 1:1 (eg. 5.5kg of grain = about 5L of absorbtion) - seems really high to me!

After watching one the Aussie's on Youtube I move my malt pipe to an FV which has the upturned BM lid on it and allow it to drain for a good 20 mins so that I get as much out of the grain bed as possible.

As an aside this video is the one which demystified the BM for me with his straight forward approach to a brew day and ultimately led me to buying my BM Image
Last edited by swiggingpig on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby Twonky » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Yep the lid is very useful for draining the malt pipe. I usually sparge some more, and keep in freezer, to create a yeast starter for the next round ;-)
Twonky

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:16 am

swiggingpig wrote:
Dicko wrote:It would be interesting to know if he has asked a 50litre owner the same thing...I guess he would have.

Did you know that you can adjust the grain absorption rate in the 'Advanced Options' ? I've set mine to be the same as BIAB and it is quite close.

http://images.swigging-pig.co.uk/beer/absorption.jpg

In my recipe I adjust my initial volume to be 25L and my current equipment profile gives me the sparge volume I need for that gravity of beer.

http://images.swigging-pig.co.uk/beer/mash-step.jpg

:beer:

I used the BIAB setting as well and that got me close.

I have since done many measurements over many brews and my figure is now set at 6.6
This suits my system and my grain crush but I do know that others have slightly different settings

I do the same as you for my sparge volumes....25 litres dough in leaves the total water needed minus the 25 litres = the sparge amount. :cheers:
Dicko

Re: What software are you using?

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Now that Neils has upgraded the website I can upload my BM50 profile from Beersmith, it's for a 36 litre (2 x cornies) batch and I'm still experimenting and tweaking it, so don't take it as gospel just yet, however it might help someone out or get started with their own profile:

50L BM 36L batch v1.0.bsmx
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mrpilsner » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:03 pm

I use iBrewMaster. The iPad Edition, Version 1.537

BM specific options would be terrific.

tom

edited 25 June to announce upgrade to iBrewMaster2, Version 1.1.4

Much more substantial software. Calculators and timers galore. Did NOT import any of my previous data which I've rationalized as a brand new Speidel BM start for me and no great loss..... it's a little jerky jerky, crashing occasionally but restarting immediately.

Excited to have these new "tools" in my brewery

tom
Last edited by mrpilsner on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litres later
mrpilsner

Re: RE: What software are you using?

Unread postby rocketman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:13 am

niels wrote:
Batz wrote:Someone set up some specific software for Braumeisters and I'll buy it. Surely there are some computer savvy people out there who can do this?

Batz

I have been thinking about it. Maybe even with integration into this community. It's not the programming that will take most of the time, but it is the research and getting the calculations right. So with combined efforts we might be able to create such piece of software.
Niels

I could help, with the coding part if needed..

// Fredrik
rocketman

Unread postby Eriksbier » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:23 am

Are there any new updates regarding this topic?
It would be great to hear which software I could best use for the 50 liter (2015) version.
Eriksbier

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Previous

Return to Software