50L Beersmith Equipment Profile

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Re: 50L Beersmith Equipment Profile

Unread postby desupero » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Excellent, i look forward to seeing your figures. Regards...
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Model: 50 litres

20L BM Beersmith Equipment Profile 5 Step Mash

Unread postby desupero » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 pm

I was provided a step mash program overview by the guys from basicbrewing.com.

I added it to BeerSmith by clicking on the mash option (left side - profiles) and then "add mash" at the top of the screen. So i added the Dry Stout/Dry Ale mash to my mash options and added it to my future recipe. I was impressed by the fact that i could to that, but also saw the change in ABV due to including it in the recipe from the standard 2 step full body option included in the software. So i now have a 5 step program.

Here is the link:

https://byo.com/stories/item/1497-the-s ... ep-mashing

And i have attached the 5 step mash (based on the link) for you to play around with...
Attachments
DryStout_DryAle_5_StepMash.bsmx
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
desupero

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:45 am

desupero wrote:Excellent, i look forward to seeing your figures. Regards...

OK home now and here are some screenshots of my 20 litre profile in Beersmith.
NOTE,
These figures are for a 20 litre machine and NOT a 50 litre with a small malt pipe.

Dicko's Equipment.JPG

Dicko's Advanced Options.JPG

Design Screen.JPG

You may note that those total efficiency and batch size figures come up in the design screen automatically from how I have the Equipment Profile set.

Because I have not included any losses after the boil then that makes my Mash Efficiency and my Brewhouse Efficiency the same. In MY case 77%

The moment I include losses the Mash Efficiency stays the same but the Brewhouse efficiency drops.

Some people feel that it is important to know Brewhouse Efficiency, personally I dont because it in no way will help with repeatability of a recipe.....the only thing it tells you is how much you lose AFTER the boil.

To work out how much to sparge, take the total brewing water volume from the design screen and subtract 25 litres for the 20litre BM (top mark on the centre rod) and the result is how much water you will sparge.

From the example above Total Water = 33.70 litres you will use 25 litres for the mash by filling the BM to the top mark and then sparge 8.70 litres in this case.

With grain absorption and all other preboil losses taken into account you will note I end up with 30.4 litres pre boil for every brew I do using Beersmith with MY settings.

This pre boil figure does not change from recipe to recipe but the Total Water Needed does change relative to the amount of grain required.

The boil off also never changes so you will always end up with a batch size of 25 litres if using my settings.

I hope this helps

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:58 am

I will add another screenshot of the design screen for the Amber Ale to include the Post Boil Volume.

On this screen it shows the post boil volume of 26 litres.
Add to this the boil off figure from the Equipment window and Beersmith calculate my pre boil volume to be 30.4 litres for every brew unless I change something in the profile.

Design Screen 2.JPG

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby peram » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:25 pm

rather new BM 50L owner here.....

I might be way off here, but since the short maltpipe is ment to produce 25l batches, could we not just use the "full" 50L equip-profile and just change the "Batch Size" param in "Designer" to specify the smaller batch or will beersmith2 use the "Mash Tun Volume" for calculations. Anyone tried this ?

What am i missing here ?

regs,
peram
Oslo, Norway
peram

Unread postby desupero » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 am

The challenge i have is that i use the 20 liter insert in a 50 liter BM... so i am hoping that Dicko might be able to come up with a formula or should i just use 20 liter BM settings?

Thanks
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:45 am

I have to say it took me about 10 brews to work out how Beersmith works with the BM and now I ignore half of it because of variances in efficiences each brewday, I also use a spreadsheet posted on this forum to help with volumes and absorption, I don't think Beersmith will ever give me accurate figures.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby hughjampton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 am

That's right. I use Beersmith to work on a recipe and a BIAB calculator to get the volumes correct. I get pretty good results that improve with each batch. I've found the hardest thing to get right with my Braumeister is the water volumes.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 am

Yes

The BIAB option in Beersmith 2 is about the closest option for BM brewing.

I know I keep saying this, but, surely someone can write software to suit BM brewing...... :( :shock: :roll:

:cheers:
Dicko

Unread postby Eriksbier » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Does anybody know the settings for a 50liter braueister with the Dutch Brouwvisie software?
Eriksbier

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Eriksbier » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:20 pm

niels wrote:I'm not a BeerSmith user, but I have seen the online documentation. You can find more info about importing a file (recipe, equipment profile, ...) here: http://www.beersmith.com/help2/index.ht ... _files.htm

- Niels

Niels what program do you use?
Is it possible to import this xml file into a program like Brouwvisie?
Eriksbier

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby niels » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Eriksbier wrote:Niels what program do you use?
Is it possible to import this xml file into a program like Brouwvisie?

I use my own spreadsheet. Sorry, I have no knowledge of Brouwvisie. Have you asked at the Dutch forum already?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Goose » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 am

First post for me here, because I've just been bequeathed an only twice used 50l BM model which I intend to put through its paces as soon as the parts arrive for a ball valve assembly on the outlet. Also thinking about a dip tube but at least in my case the element seems to run directly over the outlet so unless I bend it I cant see how I could install a dib tube without it touching the element which would have to be a no no.... anyway, might ask about the mods in a separate thread.

While I wait for parts I have been trying to figure out where to start with volume calculations. Basically my target is to get 44 litres of wort into my fermenter.

Many thanks for whomever posted the 50L BM profile, though I note its about a year old now but its a great starting point for me.

Are there any updates out there or tips on how to get that 44l right ? If the boil off at 5 litres per hour is correct, then all I really need to know is how much I leave behind in the BM after the boil, in order to work out how much sparge water I need to add to achieve a target volume before the boil. Am I right ?
Goose

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:17 pm

I stopped sparging and haven't noticed any difference. Not doing it makes my brew day easier and more predictable. I still get 84-85% efficiency. The profile you have is fine for starting off. You will need to carefully measure and adjust this over a number of brews. Understanding your setup grain absorption, mash efficiency, boil off rates etc. This will take quite a few brews. I have a 50l but mostly brew with the short malt pipe. I have my numbers for this pretty spot on at this stage. As I don't use the large malt pipe as much my measurements for this are probably not as accurate.
bierfest

Unread postby paulg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:04 am

Bierfest
would you mind posting your short malt pipe profile as you say it is pretty accurate for YOUR setup.
It would be a good starting point for me when I use the short pipe in my 50l BM

thanks
paulg

PreviousNext

Return to Software