50L iBrewMaster 2 Profile

Do you need help setting up your favourite brewing software? Or help out other with the lessons you learned while calculating recipes for your Braumeister.

Unread postby Salem5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi! Here is what I am using in iBrewMaster 2 for my 50L with a normal grain tube. It is a Frankenstein from other postings and I am only a handful of batches in so any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Equipment Profile
Grain Temp: 17.78
Grain Absorption: .66L/KG
Mash Tun Vol Loss: .5L
Mash Tun Temp Loss: 1* C
Hourly Boil off: 5L/hr
Cooling Shrinkage: 4%
Kettle Trub Loss: 2L

Typical Batch Settings that seem to work
Mash water: 53L
Sparge water: 7L
Grain load: 11KG
Boil Size: 53L
Boil Time: 90 Min
Batch Size: 43L
Efficiency 70%
Salem5

Model: 50 litres

Re: 50L iBrewMaster 2 Profile

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Code: Select all

This is really optimistic unless you do not mind getting lots of boiled hops and other crap to your fermenter.
2 l is more realistic.
I know, I know, it's hard to stop tilting that pot to get every millilitre out of :cheers:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby judgecc » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Do I miss something? How can 2l in mashtun loss be less in fermenting? He's counting on loosing 5liters left in the mashtun (bm). Or am I not geeting the mash tun loss right in my head?

Edit: Ooh I see 0.5l .. Then I'm with you on 2liters. Probably a bit more even.
judgecc

Unread postby Salem5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 pm

bruulog wrote:
Code: Select all

This is really optimistic unless you do not mind getting lots of boiled hops and other crap to your fermenter.
2 l is more realistic.
I know, I know, it's hard to stop tilting that pot to get every millilitre out of :cheers:

It is hard not to go for every ml Bruulog! But seriously I have been siphoning off and freezing the last 2 trubby liters prior to the .5L to use as a yeast starter. So probably the last 2.5 aren't going into the fermenter. Should I include that 2L also in the loss number?

Also, I use whole home grown hops in a hops spider so no real boiled hops in the bottom mix though there is some absorption loss. How is that typically handled in software?

Thanks!
Salem5

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 pm

Salem5 wrote:It is hard not to go for every ml Bruulog! But seriously I have been siphoning off and freezing the last 2 trubby liters prior to the .5L to use as a yeast starter. So probably the last 2.5 aren't going into the fermenter. Should I include that 2L also in the loss number?

Also, I use whole home grown hops in a hops spider so no real boiled hops in the bottom mix though there is some absorption loss. How is that typically handled in software?

Thanks!

For those 2 "trubby" (love the new word!) liters, you probably want to include that in your loss number so that you end up with the batch size you want going into your fermenter. But be aware of an odd Beersmith behavior: when you adjust Trub loss, Beersmith adjusts the volumes of water; holds OG the same, but does not increase your grain bill; and assumes increased mash efficiency - which will could lead you to an OG miss. If you're still dialing in your process and want to make adjustments, it is better to put all your losses into bottling/fermenter loss and keep track of the losses "in your head" (i.e., .5 liters loss to trub, 2 liters loss for starter, 1 liter loss in fermenter, etc.) to end up with the bottling volume that you want (bottling volume is batch size minus the losses you put in for bottling/fermenter losses).

For the wort absorbed into the hops, Beersmith doesn't try to estimate that. If you're doing a recipe that has a TON of hops, you might need to try to estimate it and put it in with your other losses, but for most recipes, that absorption will be minimal (less than 2%).

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks Nesto
I stand corrected. It's not the "Lauter Dun Deadspace" that need adjusting, but "Loss to trub and chiller".
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Salem5 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:45 pm

Great feedback. Thank you.
Salem5

Return to Software