First 60L brewday (& overnight mash) Scottish ESB

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

First 60L brewday (& overnight mash) Scottish ESB

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

This is all grain brew number 20 for me, but the first time brewing at 60L. It's been a successful brewday and has pushed the BM50 almost to it's limits. The recipe can be found here: Scottish ESB, it's a variation on a brew that I've done once before and turned out really well.

Snapshot of the BM with 80 litres of water, the level just rises above the top of the centre pole

80L water 1.jpg

80L water 2.jpg

Mash-in, note that this is after I have drawn off 22 litres of water and there is just over 13Kg of grain in there.

dough in 1.jpg

dough in 2.jpg

Added back 11 litres to the mash, leaving 11 litres for sparge, this was as far as I was happy to go

Mash at the top 1.jpg

This is after approx 60 mins recirculation, recirculation is slow with this volume, but it still works, I took multiple gravity readings throughout the mash to see how it was progressing and extended it accordingly, there was an appreciable jump in sugar points between the alpha and beta rests.

Wort recirc 1.jpg

Wort recirc 2.jpg

Before I left the machine running for the night at 80°C I dropped a further 3 litres out because expansion had pushed the volume to the brim so it need just a little more headspace. This is what the wort looked like in the morning, you can see that the recirculation has worked and it's looking pretty clear, the wort had been recirculating for 13 hours overnight.

Wort recirc morning 1.jpg

Time to pull the malt pipe, the trickiest part of the brewday, I had sparged before lifting, in hindsight it may have been easier to sparge after I'd lifted it. I used the Spiedel arm for one side and a paint mixer for the other to rest on.

Malt pipe lifted 1.jpg

Malt pipe lifted 2.jpg

This is the pre-boil level, I added a further 5 litres to liquor back as estimated efficiency went from 75% to 90%

pre-boil level.jpg

Lid on up to the boil

lid on.jpg

Bittering addition when boiling

first hops in.jpg

The lid is cracked open to keep a nice rolling boil and prevent boilover, a fan blows steam out of the garage door

Fan on 1.jpg

Fan on 2.jpg
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: First 60L brewday (& overnight mash) Scottish ESB

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:32 pm

End of boil, cooled and drained, lots of trub, got the colour I wanted and ready to ferment, at least 62 litres for 60 litres bottling

trub.jpg

colour.jpg

fermenter.jpg
BrauTim

Unread postby MattSR » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 am

I love it - well done!

When you say "added a further 5 litres to liquor back" is this an addition of plain water before the boil?
MattSR

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:56 am

MattSR wrote:I love it - well done!

When you say "added a further 5 litres to liquor back" is this an addition of plain water before the boil?

Almost - I didn't treat the water but I did take it from a faucet that provides filtered tap water, less than 5% of the total volume won't be noticed in terms of lack of water treatment.
BrauTim

Unread postby ibbones » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

What a brew day. That looks like a lot of fun trying to push the limits.
Some day I need to try the overnight mashing.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm currently pushing the limits of the fermenter at the moment, I knew I didn't have enough headspace and sure enough as it's reaching high Krausen, it's exploding, taking the path of least resistance by trying to blow off the lid which is ratcheted down, I have a blow-off tube fitted which is taking some of the pressure, but this will probably go on for another 12 hours before it calms down, I've also lowered the temperature slightly to try and calm it down a bit !

You can see it exploding out of the right hand side, like a volcano, I've cleaned the fridge and got a container to catch it as it drips now :D

Fermenter overload.jpg
BrauTim

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:26 pm

If you can get your hands on some, you can try Fermcap to prevent blow off in the fermenter (and also works on boil overs).

Model: 20 litres

Return to Brew Day Logs