Another first brewday BM 20L

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Another first brewday BM 20L

Unread postby Wezzel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks to you guys and all the tips I picked up here my first brewday went off today without a hitch. I screwed up a little with the recipe and underestimated the efficiency because I ended up several points over my expected gravity but generally it went like clockwork.

I took my time pouring in the grain and stirred well as it went in. I didn't pause the mash to stir but got pretty good efficiency. I rinsed with 5 litres at 77c.

I ended up with 21 litres of Seymour's Citra Gold (but a fair bit stronger @ 1.052) and I steeped some more Citra at 80c for 30 minutes prior to cooling.

I pretty much stuck to 66c (for 80 minutes) but mashed in at 40 (held for 10 minutes), did a 5 minute rest at 53c and finally mashed out at 77c for 15 minutes. I set the boil at 102c but it was cold in the garage and the wort never went over 101c. A decent boil but I think I will buy the thermo jacket.

No stress, no drama, no wort fountains and the hop filter coped admirably. Clean up was pretty easy. The inside came clean with just a little soapy water and a non-scratch sponge. I ran some PBW through it after but it wasn't really necessary.

All in all a great day and I'm delighted with my purchase. Dennis King's Galaxy Delight next!
Wezzel

Re: Another first brewday BM 20L

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Well done....and it will only get easier from here on. :lol: :lol:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby chris172 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:54 pm

Glad it went well for you.

Mine is due in a couple of weeks so expect a 1st brew day post too... hope it goes as well as yours.
chris172

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Wezzel wrote:Thanks to you guys and all the tips I picked up here my first brewday went off today without a hitch. I screwed up a little with the recipe and underestimated the efficiency because I ended up several points over my expected gravity but generally it went like clockwork.

Congrats Wezzl! This is one of the adjustments to make with the BM. I had the same thing - efficiency is so much better that I had to adjust recipes from my old 3V system. And since we can do all kinds of step mashing, I find that my efficiency can't really be a single number - I have to estimate efficiency based on the mash schedule. It's a fun "problem" with the Braumeister. :beer:

Wezzel wrote:No stress, no drama, no wort fountains and the hop filter coped admirably. Clean up was pretty easy. The inside came clean with just a little soapy water and a non-scratch sponge. I ran some PBW through it after but it wasn't really necessary.

Note to all new owners, remember to clean your pump after every brew. :geek:

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks Guys.

I normally try and brew around the 1045 - 1050 mark but as long as the beer tastes good I don't get too hung up on the final result. I shall have fun experimenting. I'm actually quite tempted to buy the 10 litre malt pipe and do more, smaller brews. As there is only me drinking I'd prefer to brew more often and with greater variety. There's nothing more frustrating than having 25 litres of beer in a keg that you don't really like and no one to offload it on!

The pump is so easy to clean I will definitely do it every brew.
Wezzel

Unread postby niels » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:23 pm

It looks like your first brewday went smoother than mine. Although you try to plan everything there are always some routines you learn along the way.

What was the expected OG and which mash efficiency did you use for calculating the recipe?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm not sure what efficiency Seymour's recipe was based on but he reckoned on an OG of about 1043 using 3.9kg of grain. Finished volume 22.7 litres.

I achieved 1052 using 3.8kg of grain. Finished volume 21 litres.

I could have made the volume up by adding liquor but I doubt I would have brought the OG down to 1043.

I need to get some proper brewing software and get my head around calculating efficiency.
Wezzel

Return to Brew Day Logs