First brewday

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:22 am

Hi Brewmeisters,

So, yesterday I finally had my Braumeister 20L and my all-grain brewing inauguration, stepped-up from pre-hopped liquid malt extract kits to the real thing in one go. I had the idea of brewing a classic German style Hefeweizen for starters as this is kind of my beer staple diet.

Of course, I crushed the malt too finely and of course, I had some wonderful wort fountains and of course, the pump got stuck towards the end of mashing and of course, I found myself straining malt particles out of the wort with a fine-mesh kitchen strainer. Anyway, with the iodine test turning out nicely in the end, I proceeded with boiling the Saaz without any further hiccup :lol: .

I have 22l in the fermenter now with an original gravity of 1.048 and hope that the Wyest Weihenstephan 3068 starts doing what it should soon.

I guess I have learnt quite a few things yesterday how NOT to do things, so I hope its all uphill from now on :beer:

Cheers from northern Switzerland.
Rob
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Welcome to the world of Braumeisters! Next time: 1.2mm crush :) Did you use rice hulls? Helps a lot in mashes with wheat.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:19 pm

No, I didn't use rice hulls, but might give it a try next time. Seem to be difficult to find at this end... :?
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Avispartner wrote:No, I didn't use rice hulls, but might give it a try next time. Seem to be difficult to find at this end... :?

Definitely give it a try if you can... one other suggestion: start your mash with a 5 or 10 minute rest at 40C. Helps a lot :beer:
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 am

Avispartner wrote:No, I didn't use rice hulls, but might give it a try next time. Seem to be difficult to find at this end... :?


I have never beer able to find rice hulls in these parts (NE, BE, UK, DE), the closest I have come is oat hulls from the malt miller. they are good people and ship relatively cheaply, at least within EU.
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=394

however, i no longer find that i need them, even on a high wheat % brew.
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby stokie brewer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm

dinnerstick wrote:
Avispartner wrote:No, I didn't use rice hulls, but might give it a try next time. Seem to be difficult to find at this end... :?


I have never beer able to find rice hulls in these parts (NE, BE, UK, DE), the closest I have come is oat hulls from the malt miller. they are good people and ship relatively cheaply, at least within EU.
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=394

however, i no longer find that i need them, even on a high wheat % brew.


They sell the rice hulls here
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/ingredients/ing ... -250g.html
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 am
Model: 50 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Oh, great, thanks for the link, i might order some rice hulls there :D.

Until this afternoon, I couldn't tell if any fermenting is going on, so I was getting a bit nervous. Starts to smell a bit in the cellar, so I guess Weihenstephan has finally picked up. Guess this slow start has to do with the yeast batch being from August 2014 (activation 6 days prior to brewday worked fine) and the relatively cool room temperature of approx. 18°C. Hope to be bottling coming weekend
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby 3LB » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Welcome Rob!

Turns out I chose the same route as yourself (kits to Braumeister) :)

Don't count on bottling next weekend already... My fermentations (in a temp controlled old fridge) generally take 10-14 days. With the yeast having been slow to start as you say, I'd leave it for 14 rather than 10 days. But the only way to know for sure is to take a couple of hydrometer readings a few days apart: if the gravity hasn't dropped, fermentation has finished.

Good luck & cheers,

John
User avatar
3LB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 pm
Location: Harderwijk, The Netherlands
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm

3LB wrote:Welcome Rob!

Turns out I chose the same route as yourself (kits to Braumeister) :)

Don't count on bottling next weekend already... My fermentations (in a temp controlled old fridge) generally take 10-14 days. With the yeast having been slow to start as you say, I'd leave it for 14 rather than 10 days. But the only way to know for sure is to take a couple of hydrometer readings a few days apart: if the gravity hasn't dropped, fermentation has finished.

Good luck & cheers,

John


Hi John,
Thanks for the hint, I might just need to be patient then :)
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 am

Avispartner wrote:
3LB wrote:Welcome Rob!

Turns out I chose the same route as yourself (kits to Braumeister) :)

Don't count on bottling next weekend already... My fermentations (in a temp controlled old fridge) generally take 10-14 days. With the yeast having been slow to start as you say, I'd leave it for 14 rather than 10 days. But the only way to know for sure is to take a couple of hydrometer readings a few days apart: if the gravity hasn't dropped, fermentation has finished.

Good luck & cheers,

John


Hi John,
Thanks for the hint, I might just need to be patient then :)

+1 for patience! WY3068 in particular is a low flocculator - it will do a lot of clean up work (that sulphur!) even after terminal gravity is reached.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 am

Nesto wrote:
Avispartner wrote:
3LB wrote:Welcome Rob!

Turns out I chose the same route as yourself (kits to Braumeister) :)

Don't count on bottling next weekend already... My fermentations (in a temp controlled old fridge) generally take 10-14 days. With the yeast having been slow to start as you say, I'd leave it for 14 rather than 10 days. But the only way to know for sure is to take a couple of hydrometer readings a few days apart: if the gravity hasn't dropped, fermentation has finished.

Good luck & cheers,

John


Hi John,
Thanks for the hint, I might just need to be patient then :)

+1 for patience! WY3068 in particular is a low flocculator - it will do a lot of clean up work (that sulphur!) even after terminal gravity is reached.


So patience it will be, especially as the temperature is at the lower end of WY3068's temperature range of 18-24°C. Gives me time to think over my next brew :)
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Took a gravity reading today, after one week in the primary: down to 1.013 from initial 1.048. Smells and tastes like a Hefeweizen, but I guess another week will do no harm :-)
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:04 am

Avispartner wrote:Took a gravity reading today, after one week in the primary: down to 1.013 from initial 1.048. Smells and tastes like a Hefeweizen, but I guess another week will do no harm :-)

It'll probably do it a lot of good :cheers:
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brewday

Unread postby Avispartner » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Small update: I have just bottled 19.9 liters of my first ever Braumeister batch. Second week in the fermenting vessel didn't change much on the gravity side (down to 1.010 from 1.013) but there was no more sulphuric or slightly sourish odour, smells and tastes quite like I like my Hefeweizen. Hope secondary goes well, am hoping to achieve around 2.9 carbonation level. Patience again, Robbie... :beer:
Avispartner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: Neunkirch, Switzerland
Model: 20 litres


Return to Brew Day Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest