Geosmin - The Smell of Rain IPA

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Geosmin - The Smell of Rain IPA

Unread postby Lindh » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:34 pm

I just made an IPA of about 25l with my BM50. You know how it smells in the city in summer when the first rain after a prolonged drought? The fragrance is called Petrichor and geosmin, which is an organic compound with an earthy flavor, is the strongest contributor to this fragrance and this phenomenon. The human nose is extremely sensitive to the smell and can feel it in 5 parts per trillion. Chinook is often described as earthy and I thought the name would fit well even though this beer probably won't smell exactly as geosmin...
The rest of the brewday can is found here: https://translate.google.se/translate?s ... ftbeer.com

Condensation out the window...
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Re: Geosmin - The Smell of Rain IPA

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Photos are awesome. Love the one with the steam rising up outside the window.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like a beautiful day to brew!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Twonky » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi Lindh,

Indeed nice picture, I like the way you lined up the reflection with the hood-pipe ;-) or was that by accident?
Reminds me I need to make something like this also! Brewing in our small bathroom it gets terribly steamy, and if the wind is on the front of the house, it just blows it back into the house...

Thanks for the log ;-)

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby Lindh » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:47 am

Twonky wrote:Indeed nice picture, I like the way you lined up the reflection with the hood-pipe ;-) or was that by accident?

Thanks! I work as a professional photographer so not much happens by accident =)
The hood is awesome! I have just added the isolation to the unit for more stable mashtemp and it seems to work nicely.
Lindh

Unread postby Twonky » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Lindh wrote:
Twonky wrote:Indeed nice picture, I like the way you lined up the reflection with the hood-pipe ;-) or was that by accident?

Thanks! I work as a professional photographer so not much happens by accident =)

And that shows!
I like the lighting also, and also the small hints to practicality...
take a machine that costs a couple thousand Euros because it works so nice, and then to level it out use a piece of paper ;-)
Just my kind of approach :)

Lindh wrote:The hood is awesome! I have just added the isolation to the unit for more stable mashtemp and it seems to work nicely.

Agree, the insulation helps, and I expect the hood will do so too. But for me the main advantage would be to be able to have a better out-flux of steam.

Nice to chat, regards,
Twonky
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby bierfest » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 pm

@lindh what is the piece you have between your stainless steel lid and your extractor piping? Is it some sort of joiner? I need something like this. Currently i place the extractor tubing down on my lid but when the boil gets really going i get a lot of leakage down my lid as some of the steam is gathering around the joint and condensating back down.
bierfest

Unread postby Lindh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:56 am

Its a 100x100mm standard ventilation pipe connector, Lindab is the manufacturer but there are a range of brands doing similar stuff. This connects to the flexipipe (drasuten) that I use for ventilation but a solid (not flexible) is ont eh purchaselist because of cleaning issues.

http://www.billigvvs.dk/Ventilation-Kli ... 81182.html
Lindh

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm

I quite enjoyed your web site. The Google translation was fun too. Pretty decent English interspersed with total gibberish.(Swedish I take it?)

Your skill with a camera is apparent. Beautiful lighting and depth of field use.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:49 am

Thank you! I must admit that I am a advertising photographer by profession, http://www.gustavlindh.com.
Google translate makes my blog just about understandable but unfortunately I don't have the time to write the blog in both Swedish and English. Hopefully google translate will improve their algorithms in the future or maybe I should start writing in english, we'll see...
Lindh

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Lindh wrote:Thank you! I must admit that I am a advertising photographer by profession, http://www.gustavlindh.com.
Google translate makes my blog just about understandable but unfortunately I don't have the time to write the blog in both Swedish and English. Hopefully google translate will improve their algorithms in the future or maybe I should start writing in english, we'll see...

Very good stuff. I especially like the truck (lorry) in the tunnel and the climber on the rock face.

Digital or film?

Sorry this is veering off topic.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby Lindh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks! It's all digital since 8 years. Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Mamaiya, Phase One. Depends on the job.
Lindh

Return to Brew Day Logs