Braumeister 10 L

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Braumeister 10 L

Unread postby niels » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 pm

The Braumeister 10 L prototype finally arrived at my doorstep. Tomorrow will be the first brew day and I promise I will take some more pictures than the louze one in this post.

I have been thinking about what to brew first... Since I want to clean out my hop drawer in the freezer I prefer to end some open packets:
NameAlpha%Gram
Hallertau Mittelfrüh5.13%25
Northern Brewer9.00%23
Saaz3.15%50
Tettnanger3.90%30
Premiant8.50%65
East Kent Goldings6.47%75
Styrian Golding4.60%90
Citra13.70%100
Cascade7.80%100

And these are the malts I have in stock:
[/tr]
NameEBCGram
Pils325000
Wheat39250
Vienna75000
Pale Ale914000
Munchener173400
Crystal130250
Aroma1503775
Special B350+/- 1000
Chocolate900920
Carafa III1300625
Corn flakes1440

Yeasts are limited to:
  • BrewFerm Blanche
  • Fermentis Abbaye
  • Fermentis S-04
  • Fermentis S-33
  • Fermentis US-05
  • Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale
  • Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
In the manual of the Braumeister is a example recipe:
  • 2.5 kg malt (50% wheat, 50% barley and a touch caramel)
  • 75 g of 4% AA hops (2/3 at start of boil and 1/3 a few minutes before the end)
  • top fermented yeast
  • Mash schedule:
    • Mash in @ 63°C
    • 25 min @ 63°C
    • 35 min @ 73°C
    • Mash out @ 80°C
Doesn't sound as a really exciting beer, but it would be fun to try, though.

Any other suggestions for the next brews are welcome :)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: Braumeister 10 L

Unread postby niels » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Today I brewed a batch on the BM10 prototype. Normally I plan my brew days weeks in advance, but today was a bit spontaneous as the BM10 prototype ended up my doorstep on Thursday. So I checked my inventory and used the recipe in the manual as a guideline to formulate my recipe.

Code: Select all
Target volume of 11 litres
Target OG of 1.054

1225 g of Pilsener malt
1225 g of malted Wheat
50 g of Special B

Mash schedule as above and 75 min boil.

50 g of Saaz 3.15% for 60 min
10 g of Premiant 3.80% for 30 min
25 g of Hallertau Mittelfrüh 5.15% for 5 min

Pitched 2 packets of hydrated Fermentis S-33 which were way over their due date. I pitched at 19°C and set the temperature control to 18°C.

I ended up with 10 litres of 1.054 wort in my fermenter and left about 1 litre in the BM. So I hit my numbers straight. I used 12 litres of mash water and sparged with about 3 litres of warm tap water. After less than 3 hours the airlock was bubbling at a nice steady rate, so the yeast was still alive.

I prepared the BM and the malt the night before. So at 7 am I pushed the start button and before 12 am I was done chilling. The BM stood on the countertop for a bit over an hour before I transferred to the fermentation vessel. And I pitched the yeast around 3 pm (as I forgot to take it out of the fridge and hydrate it on time).

Not a very scientific brew day, but it was fun.

Here are my first impressions about the BM10 and the new controller. Bear in mind that I was using a prototype and it might differ from the production model. I will e-mail Ralf with some questions so I can already put the correct nuances to these impressions. Also note that I didn't play around with the controller yet. I simply programmed a mash schedule and made it run. Some of the remarks might get an answer when I further dig into the software in the coming days.

1. The BM10 is cute. Yes, I said that. I am a man. I am not gay. But I dare to say it! It is cute!
  2. I loved the size. It was just perfect for brewing in my small kitchen. I mashed on the countertop and after I removed the malt pipe I moved it onto the kitchen stove under the hood. Moving a pot with 80°C liquid is not a very safe thing to do, but I had to make the move as my hood is too low to accommodate for the BM and the malt pipe in sparging position. After boiling I moved the BM once again next to the sink as otherwise I had to block half the kitchen with the hoses of the chiller. Clean up was done in the kitchen sink (and some parts in the dishwasher as I had to start it anyway).
  3. I'm not convinced of the new controller. It might be an early version of the software as it doesn't feel completed and feels to not use the full potential of the device and screen. Also, there was one button (touch buttons like on modern kitchen stoves etc.) that I had to press multiple times to make it act. While pressing the buttons the controller moved a bit so it felt "flimsy". Once again: prototype and all.
    Since the software is updateable I suppose it might improve a lot based on feedback by users. One remark e.g. is the fact that the recipes are called "Recipe 1", "Recipe 2", ... and I didn't see a way to rename them to more useful names.
  4. The spigot (also known as drain cock) of the BM10 is nice, but I didn't see an easy way to remove it to properly clean it as I do with my BM50. Maybe it is not supposed to be easy removable (I could have gone downstairs and have fetched me a spanner), but I would like to see that happen. I want to be able to clean it thoroughly.
  5. I didn't see any network port on the back of the controller (again: prototype warning), so I don't know how you should connect it to the network. Or how you should be able to update the software.
Assuming that the production software is better and the controller is mounted a bit more sturdy I would swap my BM50 with the BM10 in a heartbeat. I will try to do at least 2 more brews on it and maybe even visit a fellow member at home with it to have another opinion.

Oh, and a few more small details: the yellow lights turn red when you press "Abort" and the beep signal sounds like a cardio monitoring machine in a hospital.

So, that's it for very first impressions. Not very structured and planned and scientific and ... but it gives you a feel of the unprepared hands-on time I had with it today. Next brew day will be coming Friday/Saturday/Sunday (depending on the holidays agenda) and will be more prepared. I will also prepare for some decent photo or video report.

2014-12-21 07.59.11.jpg
Ready to start.
2014-12-21 08.03.16.jpg
Controller screen close-up.

:beer:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the report. I trust that Speidel will take on board your comments, particularly about the controller.
As you indicated it is probably a prototype and the production models will see the improvement.

I note the new tap (cock) and I really cannot understand Speidels reasoning in still having a tapered outlet on it. A classic case of re engineering an old problem into a new product.
If it had a straight outlet and fitted the thread on the 20l then I would have got one for my unit.

Could you post up some dimensions of the unit Niels....I was wondering if my immersion chiller would fit into it?

Is the boil stronger than the 20l? I would assume it uses the same element, or have they reprogrammed the amount of maximum current that can get to the element?

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for the report Niels! I don't recall if you answered these already, but what are the electrical specs on the 10l? Also 220/230V? How many amp fuse required? And whats the watts for the heating element?

Unread postby kahobro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:30 am

Nesto wrote:Thanks for the report Niels! I don't recall if you answered these already, but what are the electrical specs on the 10l? Also 220/230V? How many amp fuse required? And whats the watts for the heating element?

Already a month ago:
https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=611&start=15#p5967
Hans
kahobro

Unread postby niels » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 am

Dicko wrote:I note the new tap (cock) and I really cannot understand Speidels reasoning in still having a tapered outlet on it. A classic case of re engineering an old problem into a new product.
If it had a straight outlet and fitted the thread on the 20l then I would have got one for my unit.

On the demo unit the new tap is not screwed upon the vessel like with the BM20/BM50, but it is put through a hole in the vessel with a very slim nut (and seal) on the inside. You could easily replace it with a more convenient tap. For me the tap was not a problem at all, but I didn't have any problems with the one on my BM50 either. However, a tap with hose barb might be a better choice to please all the customers.

Dicko wrote:Could you post up some dimensions of the unit Niels....I was wondering if my immersion chiller would fit into it?

The general dimensions from the brochure are quoted here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=611&start=15#p5967
I will however take some time to do a bit of measuring of the inside.

Dicko wrote:Is the boil stronger than the 20l? I would assume it uses the same element, or have they reprogrammed the amount of maximum current that can get to the element?

The BM10 comes with a 1000 W heating coil. The boil is not so vigorous, but I think it is comparable with the BM20. A 1500 W heating coil might have been a better choice to convince the "it must boil like lava"-crowd.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby janox » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:41 pm

niels wrote:I didn't see any network port on the back of the controller (again: prototype warning), so I don't know how you should connect it to the network. Or how you should be able to update the software.
- Niels

I believe it was talk about it being strictly wifi, and the wifi-function may not have been included in this prototype?

Great to see the new controller though, making my mind up to by the last old ones or a new one.
:beer:

- Janox
janox

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby redwing_al » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 pm

any new news on our abiity to upgrade the previous controller for the new control unit?
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby niels » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:33 am

redwing_al wrote:any new news on our abiity to upgrade the previous controller for the new control unit?

Nope. Don't expect any info about it soon as Speidel is still undecided about it.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby kahobro » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 am

I don't think it makes much sense to know the price before the remote functionality is known and finished.

I would not spend any money for an upgrade before it is finished and reviewed.

Anyway, I don't think I will upgrade. It works fine now and will keep on working (hopefully). Upgrading will not make it faster or more easy to clean. It would be nice to be able to view it remotely and save recipes but entering a recipe takes about two minutes now.

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:00 pm

kahobro wrote:I would not spend any money for an upgrade before it is finished and reviewed.

Anyway, I don't think I will upgrade. It works fine now and will keep on working (hopefully). Upgrading will not make it faster or more easy to clean. It would be nice to be able to view it remotely and save recipes but entering a recipe takes about two minutes now.

Hans

I have to agree with this. 8) :wink:

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Return to Brew Day Logs