First two brews

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

First two brews

Unread postby ibbones » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:43 am

I made my first brew in the BM last Saturday. Brewed a SMASH with 10 pounds (4.5kg) 2 row and three oz(85g) of German Hull Melon hops.
I was impressed how easy it was to brew. I'm really going to like this thing. The hardest thing was still clean-up.
Reading about brewing on this thing for the last few years, I had certain expectations. Turn it on, wait, add hops, cool and done. I was not real sure about the boil but it was still good. Not disappointed at all. Watching the mash was really cool and how it clears up over time.

Tonight I brewed another SMASH with Simcoe hops at 60,15,and 5 minutes on a 70 minute boil. Everything went well. I started with 25L water and by the time it was at mash temperature, I had just finished milling my grain. Added grain and walked away. How cool is that? Pre boil was 14.5 brix.
Boiled for 70 minutes and sparged with three liters of water and ended up with about 5 gallons (20 liters) in my bucket. Brix was 16. Pitched a White Labs German Ale Kolisch yeast #WLP029 and put it to bed. Let you know how it is in a few weeks.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Re: First two brews

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:28 pm

I got up yesterday morning and started a brew.

I then had breakfast and went with my daughter to a new car dealer to look at and test drive a vehicle that she is buying.
I even hung around and listened to the salesman dribble shit as they generally do.
Got back home and still had 12 minutes before I had to lift the malt pipe.

Perfect timing.... :lol: I luv my BM.... :beerbang:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Tipsy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:51 am

ibbones wrote:The hardest thing was still clean-up.

I got out my old 3v equipment the other day and did a brew side by side with the "Brau".
While I don't enjoy cleaning the Braumeister, I forgot what a pain in the arse it is to clean the 3v.
Tipsy

Unread postby niels » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:49 am

Tipsy wrote:

I got out my old 3v equipment the other day and did a brew side by side with the "Brau".
While I don't enjoy cleaning the Braumeister, I forgot what a pain in the arse it is to clean the 3v.

Yeah, cleaning is my least favourite part of the brew day. And when I'm cleaning my BM50 I always wonder why I didn't go for the BM20 as it would be easier to handle.

I normally scrub the BM with a soft dishwashing sponge and some dish soap, rinse it thoroughly, put it upside down and clean the pumps. I leave it drying upside down with the pumps and spigot disassembled.It is not 100% sparkling as it's hard to clean underneath the heating cowls, so every so many brews I soak it with PBW to get rid of the staining.

Cleaning our 3V system is a lot more work and I'm really happy we only brew on that system with a group so the cleaning work can be divided.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Tipsy wrote:

I agree. I will never go back to pulling out the burners, pots, pump and hoses and try to brew and clean up all that stuff again. Still, I do not like cleaning up. It sure is a lot easier on the BM though.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:24 pm

I sold my 3v when the BM arrived.
It took up too much room and I knew from the get go that I would never use it again, and yes, I hated cleaning it.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Return to Brew Day Logs