Kriek

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Kriek

Unread postby niels » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:46 am

I will finally be able to brew again! On Monday 3rd of November I will be taking a day off so I can drop my son at school for the first time and have a celebration brew afterwards.

The recipe: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513

I ordered a Speidel 60l fermentor because I will be unable to put the frozen cherries in my carboy. I hope it arrives on time!
A few weeks ago I got my hands on an old, but quality freezer that can serve as a fermentation chamber. This will enable me to ferment and lager at the same time (as I already have a fermentation fridge.

:beer:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: Kriek

Unread postby Twonky » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Congrats on your new toys!

personally I'm not into Kriek so much...
But what about using fruit extract in stead of actual fruit? wouldn't that be easier?

By the way some compliments are in order, I like this forum and the way it works with the regards to the topics that have been read...
It was a while that I had some spare time to browse the forum, and this one certainly works well in that regard!

Thanks Niels!
Twonky

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Twonky wrote:personally I'm not into Kriek so much...
But what about using fruit extract in stead of actual fruit? wouldn't that be easier?

Well, you have kriek and Kriek :) There are some krieks on the market that more resemble liquid candy than they do a fruit beer. But there are some very nice Krieks on the market. Try a "real" geuze based one like:
- Brouwerij Boon: Oude Kriek Boon or Kriek Mariage Parfait
- Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen: Oude Kriek or Oude Schaarbeekse Kriek
- Hanssens Artisanaal: Oude Kriek
- Oude Beersel: Oude Kriek (I didn't taste this one myself yet. I have a few bottles in the cellar, though.)

Of course, tastes are always very different for each of us. But try to find one of those Oude Krieks and have another try :)

I must admit that my kriek will not be based on a geuze, but I hope to get a nice soury version, though.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:15 pm

The Braumeister is set up, water is pre-cooked (reduce temporary hardness), yeast is grown, fermentor is cleaned, malt is weighed and grain mill is stand by.

Tonight I will fill up the Braumeister with the mashing water, program the mash schedule and mill the grains. And tomorrow? Tomorrow is BREWDAY! :beerbang:

Ooh, and I've blown the main fuse by connecting the freezer I was given a few weeks ago. :( I think that one will get a one way ticket to the recycling facility. Too bad, because now I need to find another fermentation/lager freezer.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:31 am

I just fucked up big time! I didn't take into account the mash-in step and so the 62°C step was almost skipped (5 min instead of 30 min). I only noticed when the temperature was already 72°C, so no possibility to abort and retry...

Well, I added another 30 minutes to the 72°C step and hope the cherries are really sour to compensate all those dextrines.

How can I make such a stupid mistake? How? HOOOOOWWW???? :roll:

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:35 am

Chuck in some brett to chew the sugars the sacch won't?
Maybe even split the batch after primary - leave one on primary yeast to drink young, and add brett to the other for next year.
Dan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Dan wrote:Chuck in some brett to chew the sugars the sacch won't?
Maybe even split the batch after primary - leave one on primary yeast to drink young, and add brett to the other for next year.

That is indeed an option. I will have a taste after primary before deciding.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:57 pm

I noticed the pumps had problems getting a nice flow. Even with that small portion of wheat (about 11% in weight).

Maybe my crush was a bit too fine? We'll see next month if I do another brew.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Jacques » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi Niels,

How did your beer end up ?
I just harvested nearly 4kg of cherries that I would like to use to make a cherry beer (secondary of a light blonde ale). I am wonder if it is enough, the amount of cherries you used looks huge but I have no experience with fruits in beer. So, I would like to know if you liked your beer or if you would think that more or less cherries would be needed.
I could still harvest more but I will need to play with the ladder to reach the higher branches, and harvesting cherries is no more exciting after one hour, but if it is needed for the sake of the cherry beer then I will move up my arse !

Cheers,
Jacques.
Jacques

Unread postby HopSong » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:07 am

Cherry Porter sounds awesome. Or even a sour.. mmmmm. I'm just learning to like/now love sours.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 am

Jacques wrote:Hi Niels,

How did your beer end up ?
I just harvested nearly 4kg of cherries that I would like to use to make a cherry beer (secondary of a light blonde ale). I am wonder if it is enough, the amount of cherries you used looks huge but I have no experience with fruits in beer. So, I would like to know if you liked your beer or if you would think that more or less cherries would be needed.
I could still harvest more but I will need to play with the ladder to reach the higher branches, and harvesting cherries is no more exciting after one hour, but if it is needed for the sake of the cherry beer then I will move up my arse !

Cheers,
Jacques.

Sorry for the late reply.

The beer ended up pretty well. It lacked a little bit of body, but it is very sour-cherry and refreshing. My girlfriend loves it :)

You should take about 400~600 g of cherries per liter of wort. It depends a bit on the sourness of the cherries and the intensity you want.

Mind you that I'm only passing along these guidelines like I've received them from experienced brewers. I will retry the Kriek this year again!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to Brew Day Logs