First Brew

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

First Brew

Unread postby Sean » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm

Hello all,

Put down the first brew in the 50L plus. This is also my first post. Decided on an american IPA. It was an experience. All up it took about 10 hours. I thought I had done enough research and planning to get me through but when it came down to it I was very much the novice. Anyway there were a couple of things I missed like measuring the gravity so I have no idea what percentage alcohol is in there. Going to have to gauge that now! Started off with 38 litres of water, following a recipe a friend had given me, added the 11kg of crushed grain and found that there was nowhere near enough water. I ended up adding approximately another 10 litres of water that had been heated to the same temperature. To sparge or not to sparge, I don't know but I gave it a go anyway and sparged with 78C until I had 55L of liquid back in the Brau. After a very slow cooling process (Summer in Queensland) I ended up with 42L of perhaps something drinkable. (I'll find out in about a month I suppose.)

A quick question, is it a normal part of the process for the pump to pause to loosen the malt? This happened several times and I was wondering if perhaps the crush was too fine.

Well the first brew is done. I'm sure I will become a little more efficient as time goes on.

Sean
Sean

Model: 50 litres

Re: First Brew

Unread postby mashy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:43 am

Seasons greetings and welcome aboard.

We all had a first brew. You survived. It will be drinkable, if you ferment it out properly and you learned loads.

You should find loads of info here.
And recipes that are scaled for the BM.

Search for "fast beer" the pdf might help.

Sounds like you need before or was this the first time ever?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby IPA » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58 am

My advice is to read the manual first not rely on advice from third parties. Brew one of the suggested recipes in it before going off at a tangent. Whoever suggested putting less than fifty litres of water in a fifty litre BM has clearly never used one.
Good luck next time.
IPA

Unread postby Sean » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:24 am

I have a neighbour who is into all grain brewing with his own herms set up. He has been very helpful. Also makes a pretty good drop too. I don't mind a bit of help and advice but also like to do my own research. No bubbling going on yet but hoping to see some activity tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.
Sean

Unread postby aziztan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Sean,

It's normal for the pump to pause several times during the mash to help losen the grains.

AT

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Model: 20 litres

Return to Brew Day Logs