Advice please - Great brew day - But!!!

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Advice please - Great brew day - But!!!

Unread postby timtoos » Sun May 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Advice please!!!

I brew in a 20L braumeister and recently (only the last few brews) I have had a few wort fountains. No idea why. I am not doing anything different to normal in terms of grains and grain bill.

Any idea of what causes the wort fountains? When I mash in I make sure there are no dough balls and all the grain is mixed in the mash water.

Anyway today was no exception, my malt pipe had 4.89kg of malt with 30L of liquor and I had the top grain disk the other way (stem pointing down) for maximum grain movement (this maybe my problem but I have done this before with no issue).

What I did initially was get a ½“ stainless BSP fitting to push the malt disk down into the malt pipe (at the time I did not know about the pause function so was waiting for a pump break). The fitting I found was new. I washed it in cold water and sprayed with starsan and fitted it just in time before the process stated then away it went.

Afterwards I thought about if there were any oil contaminants on the fitting so quickly found the pause function (wish I looked more closely before) and stopped the process. I tuned the malt pipe end the other way (stem facing up) and continued the mash and everything was fine. The fitting was in the mash for no more than 5 minutes.

What I am worried about is oil contaminant in my beer. What are your thoughts?

Cheers all
timtoos

Model: 20 litres

Re: Advice please - Great brew day - But!!!

Unread postby Wezzel » Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 pm

I find that adding the malt slowly and stirring really well followed by a 10 minute mash-in at 40 degrees prevents mash fountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wezzel

Unread postby timtoos » Sun May 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks, I will try make sure I do that in future.

What do you think about my oil contaminant worries? The fitting was new and clean but I am worried about the production method and food stuffs. I did clean in cold water and sprayed on starsan and it was only in the mash for 5 minutes max.
timtoos

Unread postby Wezzel » Mon May 07, 2018 6:10 am

I can’t see that any residue on the fitting would cause a problem. As far as oil affecting head retention on the final brew, this is more of an issue when it comes to keeping your fermentation vessel free of oil and grease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wezzel

Unread postby mashy » Tue May 08, 2018 7:03 am

Don't worry about it.
A. There was a very small amount.
B. Hot breaks and cold breaks will probably floculate it.
C. Don't forget fermentation has a cleaning effect.
mashy

Unread postby johnrm » Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 pm

@timtoos, I was plagued with wort fountains.

Contributing factors are mill gap, speed of milling and not conditioning your malt before milling.

Mill gap too small and your grist is too fine.
Mill too fast and you shred the husk reducing filtration.
Conditioned malt - spray with 2% by weight of water. Wait 25 mins. Mill.

I switched to a hand operated mill, adjustable gap, conditioning beforehand and this solved my problems.

A couple of my buddies condition regularly also and swear by conditioning.

(No idea it opinion on the oily steel pipe)
johnrm

Return to Brew Day Logs