New Brewday Concept

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

New Brewday Concept

Unread postby Omphteliba » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 pm

To fill my be newly bought keg, I wanted to brew a new IPA. And as it is at the moment rather hot in my small apartment, and I have no spare-time during the week, I decided to mash in at a Saturday evening (yes, I am a fat beer-nerd with no social-live). So I prepped my Braumeister 20L, cleaned it, filled it with water, and mashed in. Against my usual habit i decided against a yeast-starter - more about that later.

So the mash went nicely and while catching up with my TV-Series the Braumeister did all the work. It was around 0:45h on Sunday morning, when I pulled the mash-tun to drip out, and went to bed.

A sunny Sunday morning came far too fast, but I had to get out of bed and finish the brew-day I started the evening before. I put the mash-tun to the side, installed my ventilation-gear on top of the Braumeister and told it to start the hop-boiling. I added the loose hops (no hop-bags this time), when required and was wide awake, when I had to start with the "active" part of the brew-"day": while hop-boiling I had cleaned and sanitised my fermentation vessel, and drained the hot wort directly via a Bac Brewing springer, a long silicon tube and a filter-bag into my FV.

IMG_2366.JPG
BM20 in my kitchen

It took longer than I expected, but in the end only a small amount of wort (with lots of loose hops) stayed in the Braumeister.
IMG_2371.JPG
Sludge in BM20 at the end of draining the wort

In between I was a little anxious, but the wort stream through the tubing was steady till the end. And there was only little debris in the filter-bag.
IMG_2370.JPG
Filter Bag

I cooled the wort with a plate-chiller to 30°C (86°F) and put it into the temperature-controlled fermentation-fridge to cool it down to pitching temperature of 20°C. It still took a couple of hours till I could pitch the yeast. That was Sunday.

As I already wrote, this time I decided - against my proven process - to not make make a yeast starter with the WLP001. I added yeast nutrient, but maybe also the aeration was not enough. The yeast took till today (48h later) to show a nice, full Kräusen. Lucky me! But I already ordered additional yeast for repitching :)

Will let you know how the IPA will come out.
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: New Brewday Concept

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:21 am

Don't fixate on starters. That is not the issue IME. Manufacturer states "add to wort"

Most likely not enough air.

What nutrient did you use?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Omphteliba » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 am

mashy wrote:What nutrient did you use?

Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend
Omphteliba

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Learnt something today. Never considered beer could have low YAN and require a nutrient.
What is the main ingredient ?

Although I have considered Olive oil as I use it in all other ferments.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Omphteliba » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:59 pm

It doesn't say.
Omphteliba

Return to Brew Day Logs