20L Speidel IPA

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

20L Speidel IPA

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:53 pm

First brew is in the fermenter and I am exhausted.

I chose the Speidel IPA because I love IPAs and I thought it would come with clear instructions to ease into using my new equipment. The instructions with the recipe are quite sparse and even a bit confusing.

• The hops came in separate clearly labelled bags for different boil additions. The overall weight of each hope variant was OK but the split to different packages didn't match the recipe
  • "30g+30g Cascade End of boil + cooling" - What does this mean? There are several topics in the forum on this. The bag stated to add the hops after the boil but didn't specify how to split 30g+30g. I just added them all in at the end of the boil.
  • 23l Brewing water plus sparging water - I know many people do sparge but I thought this was a non-sparging system in general; odd seeing this in Speidel's recipe. I also didn't know how to read this volume; is this the starting volume or volume after sparging? Should you account for any loses? The final value was suppose to be 21l which I came up short (19l) so I added some filtered water during the cooling period to get to a bit over 20l.
  • Target OG was specified as 12deg P (plato) which can be converted to SG=259/(259-degrees P) or 1.0486

How did my brew go?
  • I had a really hard time dialing in my mill. I think I milled too fine but if I widened the gap I saw uncracked grains.
    20170304_080905291_iOS.jpg
  • Setting up and running the BM was easy. During the mash it seemed to overshoot temperatures with the insulation cover on so removed it until the boil. I also had problems with wort fountains during first 10min which might be due to my grain being too finely crushed. The suction was incredible when removing the malt pipe; I was worried I was going to break the BM. Then after lifting it to drain there was very little liquid coming out; even after moving the malt pipe to another pan to sit there was maybe just 100ml that eventually drained out.
    20170304_094346082_iOS.jpg
  • The boil went well; the temperature stayed around 99-99.5 but the boil was rigorous. I kept the lid on with a slight crack to keep the boil strong and hopefully reduce the amount of liquid loss. I used muslin sacks to hold hop pellets as I wanted to use the pump during cooling. Hopefully, I didn't lose too much hop utilization because of this. I am lucky to have a large shower room where I was brewing. It has a window and door to outside patio for good ventilation. Being a shower room it also helped with clean-up and it limited the smell of brewing throughout the house (seems like I am the only one in the family who likes the smell)
  • Cooling was not a smooth as I hoped. I didn't know what to do with the hop bags; I thought as long as they weren't on the side where the pump intake was it would be OK but the pump never seemed to work. I used ice packs in a cooler with a bilge pump to circulate water through the immersion chiller. This worked well but since the BM pump wasn't working the BM gave way too low temperature reading. I worked around this by moving the immersion chiller to mix up the wort and using an electric thermometer to read the temperature at the top of the wort compared to what BM was reading at the bottom. I tried whirlpooling but it was impossible to get any sustained flow with the hop bags; later I realized there wasn't much trub anyway because of the hop bags.
  • Transfer to glass carboy was easy with the spigot and because I had used hop bags there wasn't a big mess either in the BM. After transfer was complete I just dumped the dry yeast into to carboy and shook it up; I wish I had mixed it with warm water before hand rather than adding the dry yeast directly.
  • Moved carboy to 12C cellar with a heating pad connected to inkbird controller and a insulation wrap around the carboy. I used zip ties to hold the rubber stopper in place and have a blow-off tube into a soda bottle with StarSans. At this moment I realized I had not taken a SG reading! I unwrapped the carboy and removed the zip ties to withdrawal a sample. Reading was 1.049-1.050 which is just a bit above the target and probably due to my slightly lower volume. The taste was nice and hoppy.
  • This left clean-up which wasn't hard but seemed to take a long time. I was surprised to see hop trub in the pump; maybe this is why it didn't run during cooling. By the way at the underside of the heating coil are some imprinted numbers. This felt like some trub had cooked onto the element and after substantial scrubbing I used my phone's front camera to see what it was.

I would say the day was a success. The last time I brewed was 20 years ago using all grain in a single pot on a gas stove. It was messy and hard to maintain temperatures with the end result being drinkable but not good beer. Today was mostly fun and I am sure it will only get better as I improve my process, drag a friend to help out and make sure I have a beer in the fridge.

Thanks for everyone's help.
mikeschmidt

Model: 20 litres

Re: 20L Speidel IPA

Unread postby bierfest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:06 pm

It took me over 10 brews to get my braumeister properly dialled in to all my numbers etc. I'd say you did good for a first day.
The cooling sounds strange. I never run pumps when cooling as water is pretty cold. Are you sure one of your hop bags was not sitting on the temp probe and impeding its function?
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks. I was quite worried about the wort fountains and was going to try to stir my grain to fix the issue but realized getting the top screen off the top was going to be difficult. I'm glad it mostly stopped after the first pump break.

My cooling issue was very likely caused by hop bags. I'm not sure where 2 of them were (besides in the pot) during the cool down.
mikeschmidt

Unread postby mashy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:00 am

I run the pump during cooling and it reduces chill time.

The wort fountains were probably caused by either the crush size or a light grain bill.
That and go pellets might have contributed to banging up the pump.

I have have a BM for a few years and I am all learning (and tinkering)

Main thing is you did good, made beer and made yourself smile... Happy days.
mashy

Unread postby Uwe-K » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 pm

... about the fountains ... I read about this in the German HobbyBrauer forum and as a possible solution people have added another extra stainless steel tube to lift the upper sieve to the highest level. This should allow the malt below to have more 'space' and not being condensed by the sieves.
Have made myself these extra tubes as well, but not tested yet and I haven't had any fountains so far ... maybe only lucky as this seems to be a problem for some people.

Hope I could get the idea / 'solution' clear, else please ask.

cu
Uwe :-)
cu
Uwe :beer:
Uwe-K

Unread postby Onthebrew » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I've started in September and am set to do my 8th brew on Saturday and still a big learning curve. I've taken advice on here for the IPA I will be doing on Saturday, am going to drop the hops straight in,and just not use the pump when cooling.

Still undecided whether to go for the BM IPA, or the one from Greg Hughes.

I did the Bavaria mandarins ale from BM website. Disappointed , no real hop aroma or bitterness,
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 am

Uwe-K wrote:... about the fountains ... I read about this in the German HobbyBrauer forum and as a possible solution people have added another extra stainless steel tube to lift the upper sieve to the highest level.

Just seen the low grain bill. You will get fountains.

A silicone seal around the top holds the plate up too. 15mm copper pipe would work and is easier to get and work with.

But you do need something..
mashy

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 am

Brew is progressing. It spent a week and a half in the cellar with a heat pad connected to ink-bird for controlled temperature fermentation. Now the carboy is in the frig cold crashing for a few days. Hopefully kegging tomorrow. I'm targeting 0.62bars (9psi) at 4.4C (40F) and the plan is to have the keg sit at 1.5bars (22psi) for the first 24h to speed up the process.
ImageImage
mikeschmidt

Unread postby mashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Looking good.

I use 2+2+2

By that I mean 2 weeks fermenting, rack of lees, 2 weeks cold crash and mature. Then 2 weeks priming.
mashy

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm

First sample; very good. I can't express how much better this is than what I brewed 20yrs ago.

It was still quite cloudy when I put it to keg so I added one sheet (1tsp) of gelatin. The first glasses were nice and clear but the 4th was again hazy. The carbonation is a little low so I just turned it up a bit but I like low carb beer.

My biggest concern was my tap's ability to produce a good pour being connected directly to the keg but it worked very well. I completely closed the compensator, opened the tap and then slowly opened the compensator to get a good pour.

Thinking about what I'll make next.
mikeschmidt

Return to Brew Day Logs