another first BM brewday

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

another first BM brewday

Unread postby antrog65 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:19 pm

Hello all, here's my first brewday in my 20L Bm.
After researching this obvious massive investment I decided on buying with it the insulation jacket and the stainless steel chiller. I have a home made copper one but it surely it can't be right mixing copper and ss - a bit like cross ply & radials :D
After reading and hearing all sorts of different things I decided against a hop filter, and also the hood. I thought I'd see how it went and decide after a couple of brews.
- NO PICS -
i really was going to document the brew but had a bad feeling it may go titties up and I'd be left with some embarrassing photos, so i just watched!
The recipe was going to be a Cascade SMASH - one I've done loads of before so as to be able to judge the Bm version, but i've got a Falconers Flight on tap so I thought it would be just a bit too similar so rather than having 2 same beers i did a different recipe, one that I've only ever done once but turned out great.
3500g Maris Otter
500g Munich
15g Magnum @ 60mins
15g First Gold @ 10 mins
30g First Gold @ 5mins

Apologies to experienced step mashers but this was the profile
52 - 10mins
63 - 35mins
73 - 35mins
78 - 15mins
I did have another profile from off here but it was over 2hrs when I totted up the times and i thought 95mins was more than enough.
So off we go.
Change the language and the colours, input the mash and hop schedule and get the hose out!
I vented the pump as per every man and his dogs suggestion.
Everything fine, poured in the grain with a 2L jug mixing well, fitted the filters and the bar and wing nut and then sat and watched what must be THE best sight anyone can ever witness.
And then poured my extra water in and spoiled the view!
After many hours on here I decided to no sparge.
Started with 30L to end up with 19L in the fermenter.
To be honest all I would have photographed you have all seen on here - everything went well and after about 15mins of watching then thinking 'you really are a sad man' watching wort recirculate I put the lid back on and went away, not before hearing the pump stop for its rest - again no heart attack cos I'd read all about it on previous posts.
Just before this though i thought it may have been channelling a little, there were only 3 or 4 areas where the liquid was breaking the surface but after the pump break it was much better.
Again as has previously been said, the wort clears ups and at the end is very very clear. I did have a slight froth/scum on the surface and also a few little particles that had either made it through the filters or had floated in across the void at doughing in.
I lifted out the malt pipe easily and was pretty surprised at actually how much space 4kg of grain takes up - I would be confident putting more in, although most of my recipes are for 4%ish beers.
That same day I had been to Wilkos for a hop strainer err sink strainer, but when I tried to position it down the side of the element and over the hole it left a gap where the bend of the boiler came against the straight of the strainer. I wasn't confident so I used my purpose made hop bag for the bittering hops and muslin bags for the later additions. Work in progress this, as I'm not a fan of bags. One note here, my mate who has a 50L doesn't use his hop strainer anymore, he only uses pellets now, and whirlpools and says he hardly gets anything coming through. I knew this but I have since read on here whirlpooling isn't as effective in the 20L. Anyway this was irrelevant as I only had leaf hops.
i took a preboil gravity check and it was 1043, 2 points higher than my beer software predicted(set at 72% efficiency)
Boil was fine on a cold night so hopefully never going to need the hood and went as usual.
One thing and this is a definite difference from my previous boiler the hot break is different - it seems to be smaller and is more visible (presumably the clearer wort the Bm produces) but is it the mash producing a wort that can be broken down more?
So 60min boil finished and in with the chiller - put on the pump and the difference in the time taken to cool the wort is noticeable, all helped by moving that wort around to get chilled.
It might be the most uneventful maiden voyage you"ve heard of but I'll settle for that!
I finished with 21 and a bit litres(I'm a tipper) of 1047 goodness.
Many thanks to everyone on this forum who I have read who have helped make this go so well.
And as the little display says at the end of all the programs
CHEERS
antrog65

Model: 20 litres

Re: another first BM brewday

Unread postby LMoerkens » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:55 pm

Great, welcome to the forum. Looks like you had a good experience, now you can start fine-tuning
:beer:
LMoerkens

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 pm

What a great first post. Welcome from South Texas! Sounds to me that you did your homework and knew what to do. :beer:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby RobC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Welcome. Nice to meet you. I like your recipe - the Munich and first gold will play very nicely together - and really look forward to reading your tasting notes! What yeast are you using?
Cheers
Rob
RobC

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby antrog65 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:50 pm

RobC wrote:Welcome. Nice to meet you. I like your recipe - the Munich and first gold will play very nicely together - and really look forward to reading your tasting notes! What yeast are you using?
Cheers
Rob

its a first for me this one its WYeast 1187 Ringwood Ale
antrog65

Return to Brew Day Logs