First Belgian style

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

First Belgian style

Unread postby stevodevo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi All,

I've been wanting to do this brew for about 6-8 months but over winter last year I was not able to maintain fermentation temps over 18C in my little fermentation fridge, so I decided to postpone until summer while I figure out my temp control options. It's been a couple of months since I did a brew, but brewing on the Braumeister is like riding a bike! Very uneventful and relaxing brew day.

As per Fritzkellerbrau's day below, it was a nice hot day in the mid thirties here on the Gold Coast. Water temp was about 28C, which always makes cooling the wort challenging. Thankfully my little pond pump in a bucket of iced water worked a treat.

So here is the recipe with a few notes below. Since this is my first attempt at a Belgian style (and I've still really only done about 10 brews total on the BM) I'd love to hear some feedback. I've been messing with this recipe for so long I can't rightly recall where I drew my inspiration from, but I suspect it's a combination of various Belgian Dubbel recipes on the web. Style wise I suppose it matches a Dubbel most closely.

Code: Select all
Steve's Belgian Dubbel
Method: BIAB
Style: Belgian Dubbel   
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 12 liters (ending kettle volume)   
Boil Size: 18.8 liters (full volume, no sparge method)
Boil Gravity: 1.039 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)   
Source: Steve original recipe
Original Gravity: 1.062 Final Gravity: 1.015 ABV (standard): 6.16% IBU (tinseth): 23.15 SRM (daniels): 17.12

Fermentables
Amount   Fermentable               PPG   °L   Bill %
2600 g   Belgian - Pilsner                         37   1.6   85.2%
150 g   Belgian - Special B                   34   115   4.9%
150 g   Belgian Candi Sugar - Dark                   38   275   4.9%
150 g   Cane Sugar               46   0   4.9%
3.05 kg   Total   

Hops
Amount   Variety   Type            AA   Use   Time   IBU
15 g   Saaz   Pellet                    5   Boil   60 min   17.46
15 g   Domestic Hallertau   Pellet           4.5   Boil   10 min   5.7
Hops Summary

Amount   Variety           Type         AA
15 g   Domestic Hallertau   Pellet   4.5
15 g   Saaz                           Pellet   5

Mash Guidelines
Amount   Description   Type         Temp   Time
18.8 L      Infusion            40 C           10 min
--      Infusion               52 C     20 min
--      Infusion               63 C     35 min
--      Infusion               73 C     35 min
--      Infusion               78 C     20 min

Other Ingredients
Amount   Name                  Type    Use   Time
0.5 g   Whirlfloc                               Fining   Boil   10 min
1.1 g   Yeast nutrient                            Other   Boil   10 min
4 g      Citric Acid                         Water Agt   Mash   --

Wort Volume:
12.5 Liters
Expected 12 Liters   of fermentable wort.
Adjust your equipment profile and calibrate your equipment to dial this in.
Expected OG: 1.062
Actual OG: 1.062

Efficiency:
Conversion Efficiency N/A
Pre-Boil: 85% 31.3 ppg
Ending Kettle: 79% 30.4 ppg
Brew House: 61% 24.4 ppg

Hit my numbers pretty much spot on using Brewer's Friend and my profile for the 10L malt pipe. I'm tending towards using Brewer's Friend now, as I find it much easier for my beginner's brain to comprehend. Plus, I've got my numbers pretty well dialed in now, so I'm sticking with what works.

I had previously made my yeast starter aiming for brewing the previous weekend, but due to it taking longer than expected I had to store it in the fridge for a few days. The Wyeast packet said this should be OK. I'm wondering what the optimal way to handle a starter like this is. I pulled mine out of the fridge at the start of the day, decanted most of the clear wort of, then left it out until ready to pitch. The yeast sat at about 28C for the day, and I pitched into 28C wort before putting it all in the fermentation fridge to cool down to 20C.

I think that's about all there is to say about this brew day. Everything went as expected without issue, and the end result was 10L of crystal clear wort in the Better Bottle doing it's thing :D
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: First Belgian style

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 am

BTW... does anyone have any tips on how best to copy/paste recipes into a post? I've messed around with the formatting above, but each time it seems to get a bit messier, so I'm leaving it as is for now. Happy to go in and edit it for better readability if anyone has any pointers :beer:
stevodevo

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:05 am

Approx. 20 hours on and I'm starting to see some activity from the blow off hose. The rough plan is to let this ferment at 20C for 1 day then let in ramp up to 24C over 4 days, then leave it at 24C for a total of 14-21 days in primary. This is Chimay yeast, but I don't think I'm ready to try out the higher temps just yet. This batch is going into bottles to be aged for a couple of months at least before trying.
stevodevo

First Belgian style

Unread postby valyb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 am

Hi,
It looks good.
For the pitching temperature, I read that it would be better to pitch at a temperature below the temperature target, let it for 12 to 36h and then slowly raise the temperature to the target... 20C and then after 2-3 days slowly raise it to 22-25 until constant density... After that, secondary at target temperature.
I already used Chimay yeast and it's pretty good!
Valy
valyb

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:14 am

Hi Valy - thanks for the input, which has definitely been noted. Now that you mention it I think that kind of approach does sounds familiar.

BTW, the ferment is really stating to take off now, so fingers crossed, I at least got the cell count high enough. Hopefully managed to keep all the bugs away as well. I forgot to mention also, I gave this batch a good dose of straight oxygen before pitching so hopefully that has helped kick it off.
stevodevo

Unread postby valyb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi again,
Well O2 is not easy to handle... What you can try is to add 1 drop of olive oil/20L (without addition of O2) ;-)
Valy
valyb

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:54 pm

Huh... I have never heard about the olive oil trick. I'll have to do some research on that one. Interesting, thanks. I don't really find using O2 to be difficult, but it certainly isn't cheap.
stevodevo

Unread postby judgecc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:00 pm

judgecc

Unread postby stevodevo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:25 am

Thanks for the link - that's really interesting.

I have indeed been having problems with what I have (rightly or wrongly) attributed to oxidation with my really hoppy IPA's, so this something I will try for sure. Anyone got any techniques they'd like to share about the best time, and at what quantities to add the oil? The article gets quite specific about mg/billion cells, but I'm wondering if as Valy says "a drop" is near enough. I do 10L batches so I'll need to find myself a half dropper :wink:
stevodevo

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:08 am

Back on the original topic, I took a punt and raised the fridge temp to 21C this morning. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I swear I'm smelling bananas when I open the fridge door tonight :-) Rightly or wrongly, this is what I'm after. The overall smell is awesome, so I really am starting to get a little bit excited now. The ferment is still quite active, if not, slowing ever so slightly.

Unless I have a change of heart or lose my nerve overnight, I'll probably bump the temp up another degree to 22C tomorrow morning in keeping with the original plan.
stevodevo

Unread postby RobW » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 pm

RobW

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby stevodevo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 am

First FG sample taken today. Got down to 1.012, so a little lower than Brewer's Friend had calculated. I'm not complaining :-) Tastes great even at this early stage. Plenty of typical Belgian character coming through. The predominant flavour and aroma is definitely bananas though. That might not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's what I like, and what I was hoping for, so at this stage I'm pretty wrapped. Certainly no undesirable flavours that I could detect (although it was only a 50ml sample), and what alcohol flavour/heat I got was pretty smooth. Colour is a little lighter than I'd like to see, but within the range of the style I suppose, and it's something I can work on.

20160212_080456.jpg
stevodevo

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:30 am

stevodevo wrote:Back on the original topic, I took a punt and raised the fridge temp to 21C this morning. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I swear I'm smelling bananas when I open the fridge door tonight :-) Rightly or wrongly, this is what I'm after. The overall smell is awesome, so I really am starting to get a little bit excited now. The ferment is still quite active, if not, slowing ever so slightly.

Unless I have a change of heart or lose my nerve overnight, I'll probably bump the temp up another degree to 22C tomorrow morning in keeping with the original plan.

Hi stevodevo,

I could not see what yeast strain you are using.....???

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby stevodevo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:24 am

Hey yeah, it doesn't look like it listed in the recipe print out... it's Wyeast 1214

By the way, I ended up holding the temp at 22C rather than going up to 24. I was getting so much banana smell when I opened the fridge door to check, I figured I didn't need to go any higher this time.
stevodevo

Unread postby mashy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:27 am

I have used olive oil with great success. In wine and beer. In wine I use a glug and beer 1 drip off the end of a cocktail stick.
mashy

Next

Return to Brew Day Logs