Brew day in record heat wave

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi All

Wanted to share my brew day this afternoon. We are in midst of a record heat wave in South Africa. It was 38 C in Johannesburg today.

Prior to starting wondered whether there would be any issues - boil off rate, ability to cool wort, etc.

At the start at 2 pm the ambient temperature of the water was 28C (had filled the night before) which compared to the pool water of 29C .

Ramp up went a bit quicker. No issues during mash and no issues during boil (other than the heat in the room). Hit the water volumes nearly spot on and OG was only 3 points off. Cooled from 94C to 68C in first 5 minutes, to 50C in next 5min, then 7C drop, 6C drop. Reached 32 C (ambient temperature) in 30 min. I use the Speidel immersion chiller cooling the inlet hose in iced water. Let it stand for 30 minutes for the trub to settle and transferred to fermenter at 31C.

Fermenter is in the fridge waiting to cool to 17C before pitching the yeast. [Doing a lawn mower beer 68% local pale malt, 23 % wheat, 5% Caramunich II for some colour and taste and 3% Carapliz, lightly hopped, Safe-ale 05].

Conclusion:
No issues brewing in 38C with the BM technology
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Re: Brew day in record heat wave

Unread postby squadricus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Cheers on the heat wave brewing. Do you have the equivalent of only during months with the letter R for oysters there? Don't know if El Nino affects oysters spawning or wild microbes in the air, but probably not a good time for open fermentation.

Just curious, if you whirlpool, do you prefer the deosil or widdershins direction?
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi Squadricus

We are a good 500km from the nearest sea, so can't answer on the oysters. One "advantage" is the low humidity in Johannesburg. Real dry desert wind conditions (hit 41C at work this afternoon but cooler forecast from tomorrow). Certainly would never attempt open fermentation. Previously left trub for a day in the measuring container and it started to grow wonderful stuff.

On the whirlpool did a couple of deosil directions prior to inserting immersion chiller. Had only 2.5l trub (50l BM), but let stand for 30 min to allow settling.

Beer stocks currently rapidly depleting and hence the need to brew yesterday.

Cheers
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby eli.donald » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 pm

I can't believe you asked Squadricus,
widdershins of course. Isn't that standard?

:beer:
First time I've been interviewed for a brewing podcast - was terrifying.
No laughing at me!

http://www.eliapplebydonald.co.uk/blog/ ... g-podcast/
eli.donald

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby squadricus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Still researching, but I believe widdershins is best for the Northern Hemisphere, not so much in J-berg. Lacking a better rationale, I am afraid I have been stirring deosil, on the assumption that what's good for whirling for my chakras will be good for the yeast.

Best discussion seems to be here http://discussions.probrewer.com/showth ... -direction

No luck yet getting my hands on "Experiments with a Whirlpool Tank".

In the middle of translating this http://www.larchris.dk/Artikler/HotTrubDK.pdf
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby eli.donald » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:06 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D
First time I've been interviewed for a brewing podcast - was terrifying.
No laughing at me!

http://www.eliapplebydonald.co.uk/blog/ ... g-podcast/
eli.donald

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Hi All

Wanted to share my brew day this afternoon. We are in midst of a record heat wave in South Africa. It was 38 C in Johannesburg today.

Come on to South Texas in the June, July, August months. Out normal temps every day are 36C and get up to 40C. I am also close to the Gulf and Bays so our humidity will not get below 90% so out heat index is 40-46C.
I have no trouble brewing in the heat other than the sweat that drips off my nose into the Fermenter. :mrgreen:
Only trouble I have is cooling the wort. Our ground water temp is around 26C so I have to use a pre-chiller with ice water and let it run slow. :cheers:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Return to Brew Day Logs