2nd brew: November wit

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

2nd brew: November wit

Unread postby squadricus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Mods since 1st brew:
1. electric hoist
2. comal dome
3. BAC lower screen
4. (rack mount) stand & cart
5. hose clamps on lifting bar
6. insulation jacket.

Drama:
tried to hoist malt pipe before unsecuring to BM50. Doh! and duh!
pump on new keg/carboy washer didn't run, needed dissassembly. Mark at kegwasher.com walked me through troubleshooting it.
A lot more hot break than on batch no. 1, enough that tipping clogged the outlet, left a lot more wort behind.

Enjoying Helles (Brew no. 1) while brewing.

Wit recipe from Stan Hieronymus's book.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
User avatar
squadricus
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: St. Louis MO USA
Model: 50 litres

Re: 2nd brew: November wit

Unread postby aoidan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 am

Ive a 50L and i was thinking of getting a conical dome, was it worth it.
aoidan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:19 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 2nd brew: November wit

Unread postby squadricus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:25 pm

I guess I got lucky, didn't see the condensation on the backside until I was done brewing. I am thinking of gasketing the lip of the BM with plastic tubing as discussed for sealing the plates in the malt pipe. I can send you photos if you don't want to wait until I figure out where to host them.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
User avatar
squadricus
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: St. Louis MO USA
Model: 50 litres

Re: 2nd brew: November wit

Unread postby aoidan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 pm

That a be great, have you been able to source the BM gasket material ?
aoidan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:19 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: 2nd brew: November wit

Unread postby squadricus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:17 pm

I ordered a length of the smallest diameter silicone tubing on Amazon (1/8" ID x 1/4" OD. It's too small, but the OD looks right for the ID to fit when slit.

Post mortem on the failure to drain when tipped: swollen chunks of the orange peel I added (without grinding) were a perfect size to enter the outlet and block the flow. Found a couple pieces in the pumps as well.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
User avatar
squadricus
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: St. Louis MO USA
Model: 50 litres


Return to Brew Day Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest