Pinched Lead

Post your brew day logs and let us enjoy them too!

Pinched Lead

Unread postby hambrook » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:39 am

So after quite a bit of rebuilding in the garage; a day deep cleaning all the brewing stuff and installing separate wastes FINALLY today was Brew Day. I even weighed out the grains, measured out the water, treated it and left it at 38 degrees overnight so 05:30am this morning I could mash in. That all went great then I went it about an hour later to check it was ticking along at 67 degrees and the Braumeister was dead!

I checked the MCB and RCBO (I have the BM directly wired to its own MCB Fuse) that was all on; main switch was still on so nothing had shorted. I followed the cable and there it was under the back leg of the Braumeister with 69 litres and 9kg of grain squashing it. I drained the BM; lifted the malt pipe and sure enough the cable had been squashed to half it's size.

I took the cable out of the BM and noticed the black plastic around the live pin on the C19 plug had melted so I'm assuming this is linked to the squeezed cable. I've taken the other end of the cable (a 16A commando socket) apart and no signs of problems there. So a quick search online and a stockist 20 miles away has a C19 plug and cable in stock but they are not open Sunday.

I'm concerned if I had done the BM controller any damage? Does it have an internal fuse that may have blown? Anyone else experienced this?
IMG_6920.jpg
hambrook

Re: Pinched Lead

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:57 am

This is a load issue for the element which has caused the overheating. A new lead will fix. I very very much doubt the controller will have been harmed in any way.

Really good to share this point with others though. It is very easily done.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby hambrook » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:06 am

So if the MCB and the RCD did not trip, what failed ? The BM had no lights or anything
hambrook

Unread postby hambrook » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:13 pm

So come the afternoon thought I'd just plug the lead back in and low and behold.....
IMG_6932.jpg

I'll be getting a new lead for sure, so I can only assume there is some thermo or safety switch in the Braumiester that made it switch off this morning? Relieved that it s still working!
hambrook

Unread postby Icefever » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:18 am

Jeeezzz close call there Hambrook??? glad to know there's no damaged..
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby 3LB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 am

Happened to me too (at the end of the brew day, during cleaning) that I put one of the legs on the cord... Since then I've always been very careful not to do this when starting the brew day!

That's a relief to see the unit doesn't appear damaged. Good luck with your further brews. :cheers:
3LB

Model: 20 litres

Return to Brew Day Logs