Beer - Res ipsa loquitur

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Beer - Res ipsa loquitur

Unread postby texasmedicineman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:05 am

New at this...but totally into it...to mean that I'm in the research and do-dad gathering mode at this point. I've gathered just about all that I know I will need, but there will certainly be things I didn't know I needed, but once I get into reading the postings, I'm sure I'll have plenty of "grist" for the decision-making process. My toughest decision is whether to go with either the 20 or 50 liter model of the BM. Initial blush on this quandary is the former.

Professional Background "thumbnail": Healthcare administration executive by trade, retired Army officer (IN and SF)
Personal Background "blurb": hunter, fisherman, "gatherer", gardener (tomatoes, peppers), like cooking, baking, and candlestick making (the last...Not!). Big into the Franco-Prussian War and it's implications for modern Europe. Collect antique books about the FPW, whether written German, French, or English. Being bilingual EN/GE helps. Metal detector aficionado!

My travels have shown me many things that make the person I am...one significant experience was my time stationed in Germany. I gained an appreciation for both the German people and their bier...they go hand in hand. Offer a German an American "swill" beer, and you'll lose a friend, but the Germans know beer hands down. The fact that the BM is of German origin, speaks volumes about its design and the workmanship behind it.

I'll be brewing many types of all-grain beers and eventually would like to try my hand with lambics, for which I acquired a "taste" while "loitering" in Belgium. I'm looking forward to this forum being a pleasant adult experience. I've seen other forums (fora?) where BM users were relegated to "mini-slurs" of being called "material handlers". I have neither the need, nor patience, for snobbery, childish displays of emotions, name calling, etc. I welcome adult dialog and if I'm fortunate, will get the chance to meet a few of you somewhere on Brew Street, USA. Until then...Brew til you Bleed and Carpe Diem. (texasmedicineman, aka Mike)
Beer: Res ipsa loquitur
texasmedicineman

RE: Beer - Res ipsa loquitur

Unread postby royco » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 am

Hi Mike, and welcome to BM. It really irritates me when people judge you for simplifying your life. You are cool if you have a large pot of hot water, a pump to move it to a cooler box full of grain, another pump to move the wort to the boil kettle etc., and REALLY cool if you use pitchers to lug the water, wort, etc to their various destinations. But simplify this into a 1-vessel operation and you are un-cool. People are weird.
You will love brewing with the BM and will still have time to read about the FPW between processes!
Roy
royco

Model: 50 litres

Return to Welcome!