Hallo from Gold Coast Australia

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hallo from Gold Coast Australia

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the category of being 99% convinced I need a Braumeister, but having trouble pulling the trigger. It's either a BM or a Grainfather, which I think is also a very nicely thought out product, albeit a little rough around the edges so to speak. Hopefully I can get some of my lingering BM questions answered on a well informed forum like this one, and become yet another very proud BM owner.

Cheers!
Steve
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Hallo from Gold Coast Australia

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:53 pm

stevodevo wrote:Hopefully I can get some of my lingering BM questions answered on a well informed forum like this one

Fire away!
and welcome to the forum regardless.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Raggi76 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:52 am

I was in the same boat for the last 2 months. At the end of the day, I went the Braumeister.
It just had more going for it. If I was going towards a grainfather, I would probably just build my own.
The new model for me was the deal sealer. Although not fully up and running yet, the functionality will be great.
For me, its my first step into grain brewing, and it just seemed a lot more steps with the grainfather. Although there was some good ideas about it, I am glad I went the braumeister after my first brew.
Raggi76

Unread postby stevodevo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks for the input Raggi - it's really good to hear from someone that was comparing the same two systems.

I went and had a look at both in the flesh this afternoon, and I really was impressed with the BM build quality. That said, the GF is not too shabby, and I really do think they've come up with an awesome product. Looks wise I reckon I'd keep the GF in the garage, but the BM would live in a prominent place for all to see inside the house. The BM is just soooo much more expensive, but like you I reckon I'm going to end up with the BM 20L with shortened malt pipe. I'm sure I'll get over the short term dent in the bank balance long before I get over the pleasure of using such a nice piece of equipment for years to come. There's going to be some good deals on the older version (I'm getting a quote emailed to me tomorrow for an old model), but also like you, I'm a sucker for the new features so I'd rather pay the extra for the new model... how cool is a wifi enabled Braumeister going to be!

Somehow I also like the fact that I'll be brewing in a smaller version of something that some micro breweries are actually using. I suppose I can dream that someday that might be me... of course I'll be doing a lot of daydreaming while NOT worrying about mash temps etc :-)
stevodevo

Unread postby Raggi76 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Pretty much sums it up. The cost did hurt on pick up, but forgotten after the first brew. Let us know how you go
Raggi76

Unread postby SteveOR » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:27 pm

I have finished cleaning my 20L BM after what I think is the 50th batch of great beer. Other than a few scratches from the malt pipe the interior is brite clean and shiny. The heating coil is also in looks like new condition. I believe in the quality of the BM shows over time if not immediately obvious.

Cheers

Steve
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:01 pm

If cost is not an issue and the GF was fully automated and I had to make a choice I would choose a BM based soley on the fact that the Grainfather STILL has hoses and that is what used to really annoy me with my 3V system was that every time you unhooked a hose you had sticky wort dripping everywhere.

The BM certainly holds it resale value as well as can be easily displayed by the price that brewers are getting when selling secondhand.

Which ever way you decide, the most important thing is that you enjoy your brewing.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby stevodevo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Excellent points being made. I have noticed second hand prices of BM's before and they're pretty damn close to new prices. Going by Steve's comment I'd say it's because all the secdhand units are like new anyway.

This decision making process has been very difficult, but with time, thorough research, and some helpful input from existing owners on this forum I've convinced myself to splash out on a 20L BM with the shortened malt pipe. I'm thinking I'll grab myself a grain mill and maybe a new immersion chiller to go with it. Now to figure out who's stocking them, and place an order early next week hopefully :-)
stevodevo

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 am

Order placed for a 20L + 10L shortened malt pipe! All going well, this time next week I'll be the VERY proud owner of my very own Braumeister :-)
stevodevo

Unread postby Wezzel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:13 am

Whop-hoo! As a new owner myself I can tell you you won't be disappointed :-)
Wezzel

Unread postby Raggi76 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:05 am

Good choice. Welcome to the club
Raggi76

Unread postby stevodevo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:38 am

It's official - I've put one on the map for sunny Gold Coast Australia :-)
stevodevo

Return to Welcome!