New member - Interested in BM for my restaurant - seeking ad

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

New member - Interested in BM for my restaurant - seeking ad

Unread postby WillFish » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Hello All,

I own a smokehouse and grill in the UK we sell lots of craft beers so naturally I feel it's time to start producing our own and bottling. Starting on a small scale can anyone advise me on what sort of set up would be required and what options I have for bottling? Have got a good grasp on recipes and methods just curious for your opinions on set up! Can't wait to get brewing!!

Will
WillFish

Re: New member - Interested in BM for my restaurant - seekin

Unread postby Jake99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Will,

Do you have any brewing equipment?or do you need to start from scratch?

Cheers,
Jan
Jake99

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby WillFish » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Hello Jan,

No equipment yet - thought I would ask here before just steaming a head and buying.

Have a budget of 5-10k for the project.

Cheers,
WillFish

Unread postby chris172 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:46 pm

You would need to secure a license to brew for sale so Customs & Excise would be a good place to start. Also Hygiene Certificates.. local authority.

I'm sure there are more clued up than me so they'll be along shortly.

It is quite a mine field really... A BM would be good as it's all in one solution and brews are easily repeatable, good in a sales situation. What sort of volume you plan to make would dictate the size of the kettle... 10ltr, 20ltr, 50ltr, 200ltr and 500ltr!!

Might be good to try a brew school if you haven't brewed before... and to give you knowledge of a micro http://www.brew-school.com/results/?tag ... crobrewery

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/example-brewery.html
chris172

Unread postby WillFish » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Cheers Chris!
WillFish

Unread postby Jake99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:16 pm

If i was you,buy a few fermenting tanks (size according to your BM)a auto sifon and a basic bottle capper.
Start with bottle your beer,if the demand for your beer is high enough i would change to a kegging system.
Kegging would save you a lot of time compared to bottling,since you already have a business running => time is money.

But first of all,learn to brew like Chris172 already told you.

Cheers,
Jan
Jake99

Unread postby niels » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:38 pm

That is a very cool idea. Mind you that with a budget of 5 to 10k you will not be able to afford a 200 L model. This model costs about €10.000.

You could consider starting smaller with one or two BM50s, a few 120 L fermenters and a cooling unit. You can use double mashing and high gravity brewing techniques to make the most from a brew day. If you plan on serving in your restaurant I would go for a kegging system right from the start. If you think about selling the bottled beer... well, you'll need a simple bottle filler and bottle capper.

You could contact gert as he is planning on opening a mini brewery.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby janox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:41 pm

I do not see the need to start with bottles since you probably have a bunch of taps and probably a sankey-keg or two lying around.
But yes learning to brew is a good start :D even though it is a breeze with the BM
Edit:niels beat me to it (and with a much more informative post) :beer:
janox

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:00 pm

No harm in getting a few kegs from the start because:

You can bulk age
You can stack beer waiting to be bottled until it's convenient
You can serve from them directly (obviously)
You can bottle from them directly with something like the Blichmann beer gun (carbonated or primed).
You've got a choice of sizes to fit your way of working
They are readily available in the UK from Crusader kegs

Also, work out how much capacity you need based on the quantity you currently sell.

If you brewed twice a week with a 50L BM you could be filling 4 x 20L kegs a week = almost 160 bottles (more if you use the full capacity of the 50BM), this might fit with a busy restaurant schedule because you have a ton of cleaning to do as well as brewing - kegs, fermentors, bottles, also you need bottle labelling and de-labelling so for this quantity I think you could add another day onto 2 brewdays making 3 days a week devoted to brewing.

Most likely a beer gun would be too slow, so you'd need some semi-automation in the form of bottle fillers and labelling machines, all relatively inexpensive.

Don't forget the storage space for crates/kegs/fermenters/temp control fermenting/cleaning etc.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Return to Welcome!