New BM user from England..

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Re: New BM user from England..

Unread postby McMullan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:48 am

Glad you're determined to continue, Mr O. You will be making fantastic beer before you know it. For what it's worth, despite having a scientific background and years' experience of homebrewing, my first brew using the BM was a disaster.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=423
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Mr O » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 am

McMullan wrote:Glad you're determined to continue, Mr O. You will be making fantastic beer before you know it. For what it's worth, despite having a scientific background and years' experience of homebrewing, my first brew using the BM was a disaster.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=423

Whoops :shock:

I will get there, I just hope you all don't get fed up with my many questions... :roll:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Mr O » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:58 am

niels wrote:Do you have the hood for the BM? I know it is an expensive piece of kit, but it really helps driving of the vapours. If you're not up to buying the Speidel version you can find some instruction on the forum to create one yourself (ss bowl upside down, cut out a hole and attach some ventilation piping).

- Niels

PS: Would you mind adding your location (e.g. region) and model to your profile? If you need help wit that, just send me or one of the mods a PM.

Profile updated 8)

I nearly bought the hood for my BM then decided against it.
I added 24.5 litres to the BM, mashed and then sparged with 5 litres. Then boiled for 80mins, I confused as to why I lost so much of my post boil volume. Is it because I was inside and got a very good boil?
Mr O

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:24 am

Many thanks to everyone who has took time to try and help me. I really appreciate it.
I usually research stuff pretty well before making a purchase (especially on the BM scale), it seems I over looked a lot of things on this occasion. Or just thought that because I'd made some decent extract brews the BM couldn't be much more difficult.

Mr O
Mr O

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 am

Mr O wrote:Many thanks to everyone who has took time to try and help me. I really appreciate it.
I usually research stuff pretty well before making a purchase (especially on the BM scale), it seems I over looked a lot of things on this occasion. Or just thought that because I'd made some decent extract brews the BM couldn't be much more difficult.

Mr O

I hope you continue enjoying extract brewing, Mr O. Most home brewers use extract brewing techniques (without all the unstandardised fuss) and can often produce just-as-good beers as all-grain brewers. It's a great hobby that inevitably leads the obsessed to all grain. :cheers:
McMullan

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 am

McMullan wrote:
Mr O wrote:Many thanks to everyone who has took time to try and help me. I really appreciate it.

Mr O

I hope you continue enjoying extract brewing, Mr O. Most home brewers use extract brewing techniques (without all the unstandardised fuss) and can often produce just-as-good beers as all-grain brewers. It's a great hobby that inevitably leads the obsessed to all grain. :cheers:

I'm sure i will... I'm currently drinking Mauri IPA (my own recipe using NZ hops) and a Black IPA (i'm not totally useless) They are both very good IMO and i thought i could up my game to All Grain but hey ho...
Mr O

Unread postby paulg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 pm

mr o
with regard to your question ,you say you started with 24.5 litres water in the braumiester,
from that you would lose about 0.6 litres per kilo grain in absorbtion (so for a recipe with 4 kilos grain 4 x 0.6 = 2.5 litres) plus 5 litres sparge = 24.5 - 2.5 + 5 = 24 litres pre boil.
you will lose about 3.5 litres per hour boil off ,so if you boiled 1.3 hours you end up with about 19.5 litres.plus you lose about 4% when you cool the wort to shrinkage so about 18.5 litres but you also lose a few litres left in the machine as trub/hops so you must include these as losses.
I have a 50 litre machine so boil off is different.

if you use a brewing software you can work out your losses and see how much water to start with, above all dont give up.
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 pm

paulg wrote:above all dont give up.

indeed. once you get the hang of using the BM you'll love the consistency, and you'll turn out great and repeatable brews. (as long as you ferment well every time!)
dinnerstick

Previous

Return to Welcome!