New BM user from England..

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

New BM user from England..

Unread postby Mr O » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of some research and then purchase of a BM.

Unsure if I should go for a 20l or 50l? If I decided on the 50l I would want the 20/25l malt pipe to go with it.

I've been told that the purchase of a hop screen is needed unless using pellet hops?

Is the 50l only available with the commercial style blue plug (UK version)

Cheers for any input,

Mr O

P.s.. My favourite beer styles (in no particular order)are:

IPA
Stout
American Pale Ale
Porter
Belgian Dubbel / Tripel
Wizen
Double/Tripel IPA
Russian Imperial Stout

Among others :beer: :drink:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: New BM user from England..

Unread postby redwing_al » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Mr. O!

I would make that decision based on available space for fermentation and consumption. personally, I have lots of fermentation capacity, but I like to brew, so I will brew more often making 5G batches than 10.

as for a hop screen, it's not necessary, but it is good to limit 'floaties' because of the relatively small pump. I use mesh baggies to add hops and I binder-clip it to the center rod.

I am a recent owner and have done 2 brews with another one coming soon!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby Mr O » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I don't have any space problems, I'm lucky.
But I do prefer to brew smaller and different brews. My thinking was while making the initial lay out why not go for the 50l even if ø didn't use it too often.
Does the 10l malt pipe also fit the 50l?
Cheers,
Mr O
Mr O

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:37 pm

Mr O wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply.
I don't have any space problems, I'm lucky.
But I do prefer to brew smaller and different brews. My thinking was while making the initial lay out why not go for the 50l even if ø didn't use it too often.
Does the 10l malt pipe also fit the 50l?
Cheers,
Mr O

Welcom Mr O,

It was established on another topic on here that the malt pipe on the 50 is the same diameter as the kettle body of the 20 litre model.
The malt pipe from the 20 litre would more than likely foul the inner element of the 50 litre model as that model has 2 elements.

Maybe another 50 owner might measure the outer diameter of the inner element for you.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby stokie brewer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:52 am

Hi Mr O,

I've recently bought the 50 and it does need the blue type plug you refer to. It needs to be on a 16 amp fuse as the elements are 3200 watts.

Jez
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:48 pm

stokie brewer wrote:Hi Mr O,

I've recently bought the 50 and it does need the blue type plug you refer to. It needs to be on a 16 amp fuse as the elements are 3200 watts.

Jez

Hi Jez, thanks for the welcome. I suppose I could get a socket fitted that accepts that type of blue plug.. If I decided on the 50l :beer:
Mr O

Unread postby stokie brewer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Mr O wrote:
stokie brewer wrote:Hi Mr O,

Jez

Hi Jez, thanks for the welcome. I suppose I could get a socket fitted that accepts that type of blue plug.. If I decided on the 50l :beer:

Yes I got a socket and a plug from the toolstation, links below, they're not much but you'll need a qualified sparky to fit the socket.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... P44/p36175

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... P44/p20698
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Ah ha, very cheap indeed 8)
Mr O

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:31 pm

****I meant to ask these questions in my initial post****

On one of the two websites where I can buy a BM from, I see that for 2015 the 50l is a new model, does this also mean the 20l is new too?

Where did you buy your BM from (UK users)?

Mr O

:beer: :drink:
Mr O

Unread postby JPSussex » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi,

I went for the 20l for the same reasons as redwing above, 100 bottles takes some shifting but batches of 40 can soon get used with a few mates in tow. I set up the process to produce a 23l batch so always get at least 40 x 500ml bottles.

The 20l is great, is easy to handle and doesn't have the issues of lifting out the full malt pipe, as discussed elsewhere. I'd definitely get a hop screen and use whole hops, works a treat.

Got mine from Vigo, as below, I think they are the importers. There are threads elsewhere that confirm that revised models are due out soon with an improved controller so worth making sure you get that.

http://www.vigoltd.com/Catalogue/Braume ... ing-system
JPSussex

Unread postby Mr O » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 am

Cheers for the reply...

I think I'm edging towards the 20l :?

But if I do go for the 50l I will mainly be using the smaller malt pipe (which I thought was the pipe from the 20l machine. I now know it's not)

Now I just need to suss out how to use Beersmith with a BM :roll: :roll:
Mr O

Unread postby Oz11 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Got mine from Brew UK when they were having a 10% discount. 50L too big for me, I like to brew at home small and often and I target 3x5L mini kegs and around a dozen bottles (mixed 500ml, 330ml and 250ml sizes) final volume.
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Have they changed the plug on the new 50l model? My 50l has a standard plug attached.
bierfest

Unread postby hughjampton » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:52 pm

I got the original cable with a German plug and an additional cable with a 16 amp commando plug. It depends on the supplier who you bought it from.

I bought the 50l with the 20l malt pipe for several reasons. I didn't want to buy the smaller one then regret it later. I was spending a lot of money anyway, so what the hell. The 50l is more efficient when brewing 20l batches as you get two pumps to push the water through the grain and it definately heats up a lot faster. I can brew 50l batches if I need to.

I use a 9 inch diameter stainless hop spider for both pellet and whole hops. I prefer pellets as I get about 10% better utilisation and I believe they give a better flavour profile for late additions although many will disagree.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby Scozia_Joe » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:51 am

Hi

I have the 20L just finished my second brew (St Austell 1851 IPA). On first brew I used the hop filter when transfering to fermentation bucket and the flow through the BM tap to the fermenter was fine. On my second brew I forgot to use the hop screen and ended up with a small trickle through the tap. In the end I had to fit the hop screen and then unscrew the tap otherwise I would have been waiting for 2 hours to get into fermenter. On doing this noticed some hop blockage in the tap causing the issue. Moral of story for me was if using whole hops dont forget the hop screen :D

I bought the hop screen from the start and I'm so glad I did. Its a bit pricey but in the end I feel it is worth it and as I'm time poor, i decided this would be best for me, rather than trying to make something to do the same job. :beer:

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Joe
Scozia_Joe

Next

Return to Welcome!