I have entered the darkside...

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

I have entered the darkside...

Unread postby Spiesy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

Just like to introduce myself.

My name is Spiesy - I'm a passionate homebrewer from Melbourne, Australia.
I've been brewing for around 3-4 years now, almost exclusively on a 70L BIAB system. A few weeks back I was "green lighted" to step up to a new 50L Brau, complete with the new control panel... all with the pretext of "safety" and "time efficiency" (being a new Dad and all). I've thrown down one double-batch brew already, and whilst the instruction manual and control panel aren't exactly on the same page yet - I foresee an exciting future of brewing with this system.

Traditionally I've been a fan of US hop-forward beers, predominantly APA's - but I also like darker beers (Stout and Porter) over the cooler months.
Over the past couple of years I've been trying a bunch of new styles (ESB, Cali Common, Hefe, Lager, Pilsner, Belgian Pale, Saison, Helles, Amber, Brown, Alt and all manner of bastardised recipes). Some of them I've really fallen in love with, like ESB, others not so - like Alt.

I love brewing and I love beer. I love that there are so many variables involved with making a beer. Three main ingredients (if you discount water), each of which can wildly alter your beer. And then a multitude of processes that can again greatly impact the finished product.
I'm also usually a bit of a stickler for hitting numbers, and this is a large factor of why I've come across to the darkside of BM brewing - repeatability, mostly for recipe development and fine tuning.

So much to learn, so much to brew, so much to drink - so little time :D
Spiesy

Model: 50 litres

Re: I have entered the darkside...

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:12 am

Welcome Spiesy,

I think the best thing that I have noticed since having a BM is repeatability.

Because you can consistantly repeat a recipe you may then make small tweaks to achieve the desired result.

It goes without saying that the other main advantage is the cleaning. :)

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Spiesy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks Dicko.

Yeah, once I've figured out all my numbers - trub loss, boil off rate and efficiency, I'm looking forward to some repeatability.
Spiesy

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:52 am

Spiesy,

I note from another post from you that you had a problem with a low OG with the short pipe.
Did you work out the correct volumes for the water? as I think that is maybe where your problem was.

Some guys report that they lose efficiency with the higher gravity beers but I dont have that problem and I know a couple of other BM brewers that dont have it either....I think it is caused by incorrect boil off and grain absorption figures

Unfortunately I cannot speak from hands on experience with the 50 as I have a 20 but in principle they are the same.

PS off topic but....I would imagine that over time you will be able to make up some excellent ingredients recipe kits to suit the BM and distribute them through your outlet....just me thinking out loud. :lol:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Spiesy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:32 am

Hey Dicko - not me, mate.

I've only done one brew - and it was with the standard malt pipe (double batch) where I got a crazy 92% efficiency.

Hoping to put down my first brew in the short malt pipe tomorrow, or thereabouts. Naturally I'm allowing for a few "learning" brews before I find my mark.

Re: recipe kits. Lol. Who knows, mate, maybe! ;)
Spiesy

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:01 am

Spiesy wrote:Hey Dicko - not me, mate.

I've only done one brew - and it was with the standard malt pipe (double batch) where I got a crazy 92% efficiency.

Hoping to put down my first brew in the short malt pipe tomorrow, or thereabouts. Naturally I'm allowing for a few "learning" brews before I find my mark.

Re: recipe kits. Lol. Who knows, mate, maybe! ;)

Hey mate... sorry about that...got my wires all crossed up. to many Xmas beers. :lol: :lol:

Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:57 am

Welcome Spiesy, good to see you over here as well. This really is a great site for we BM owners. :wink:

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Spiesy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Batz wrote:Welcome Spiesy, good to see you over here as well. This really is a great site for we BM owners. :wink:

Batz

Cheers Batz :cheers:
Spiesy

Return to Welcome!