Hi from Melbourne

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hi from Melbourne

Unread postby we5ty » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi all,

I finally got my hands on a new shiny bit of brew kit, wrapped under the Christmas tree... A 20L braumeister! Now the 2 day festivities have finished I can get into learning how to use it.

I have a bit more than 50 brews under my belt, all BIAB but I have gone from 30L stovetop to 30L electric element, to 50L electric up to 70L recirc electric BIAB. (A 12kg dry malt bill is a bitch to lift in a bag when it is wet!)

I went the 20L brau and downsized my batch size purely because I wanted the freedom to brew in my garage in winter and on the deck in summer - and getting a 15a point installed was looking too expensive as well. From the research I have done I figured the ease of brewing in the braumeister means more different beers more often. We will see if I regret going the 20L over the 50L!

I'm planning a test run tomorrow to work out volumes and boiloff, then hopfully get some time for a brewday before new years.

Cheers

westy
we5ty

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Hi from Melbourne

Unread postby Oz11 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum and to the B.O.C. I reckon you're going to enjoy your new pressie.

Good luck with the test run, have a look round the forum, there's a shed load of useful info on here.

I was recommended by several to buy a 50L, but it would have been too big for my needs. Brew little and often, I think I might even be hearing a 10L BM calling me in the distance....

Have fun!

Where are you, btw?
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Unread postby we5ty » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks! This forum does have heaps of information. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around the different rests and their importance when using a well modified malt. My uneducated thought at the moment is just because i can do rests doesn't mean I should in every beer. Experiments will show some difference I guess, and a lot of reading when I'm on a quiet night shift.
I'm in Australia, about 45min nw of melbourne. Seems like there are a few from Aus on here.
we5ty

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Westy,

Welcome here mate, you will love your BM easy to brew and easy to clean. :)

When I got my BM I tended to use the step mash function for every brew.
Now I tend to make use of a step if I fell it suits the ingredients I am using.
For example, if the grain bill has wheat in it then I do a protein rest and from my personal experimenting I believe a rest at 71 deg for most grain bills does improve the head on a beer.

Enjoy you new kit.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Welcome! Maybe we can start a sub forum for all you Braumeister loving Aussies ;)

Did you get a 2015 model?

There is a lot to read on the forum, but feel free to share some experiences/recipes too.

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby we5ty » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 am

Hi Niels,

Yep I got the 2015 model - sort of by accident. I was hoping my home brew shop would have a pre christmas sale (generally they offer 10% off braumeisters). They announced the sale at the same time as they announced the new model - I was over the moon!

I did my first brew yesterday - A Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone that I like better than the real thing so I thought it would be a good place to start. I have posted some of my problems from yesterday's brew - volume measurements and temp control problems. But overall the brew went well - I was over volume by 2L but under gravity by 3 points - got 75% efficiency. I will try milling a little finer, stirring a couple of times during the mash and slower sparging and I might get better efficiency. A few more batches under my belt and I will be back to feeling like I know what I am doing!

I think us Aussies like to keep things simple - BIAB and no chill are pretty great examples. That might be why the BM is gaining so much popularity here - why spend more time making beer when you could be drinking it!!!

Cheers,

westy
we5ty

Unread postby Mr O » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:36 am

Hi westy,
I'm still undecided which BM to buy but edging towards a 20l. I know it's early days still for you but do you still think you made the right decision? My main concern over buying a 50l is that I won't be able to lift the malt pipe out when it's full of wet grain. Perhaps it's easy at ground level but then it's not possible to get the wort into a fermenter.
Happy brewing,
Mr O
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi We5ty,

Welcome to BM's world!
Can you post your Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe?
Anxious to see it :beerbang:

Cheers
Luis
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Mr O » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:Hi We5ty,

Welcome to BM's world!

Cheers
Luis

Good call :beer:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
Mr O

Unread postby we5ty » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Mr O wrote:Hi westy,
I'm still undecided which BM to buy but edging towards a 20l. I know it's early days still for you but do you still think you made the right decision? My main concern over buying a 50l is that I won't be able to lift the malt pipe out when it's full of wet grain. Perhaps it's easy at ground level but then it's not possible to get the wort into a fermenter.
Happy brewing,
Mr O

Hey Mr O,
No regrets at all - but I'm only 1 brew down. I can't see me missing my old 50L system with how easy the brewday was the other day. Once I dial in this system I should be able to comfortably do 2 batches in a day - along with mowing the lawns and looking after the kids ect ect.

But I also like variety in my keg fridge, and tinkering with a recipe to get it perfect. Tinkering and stuffing up 50L of beer can be hard to drink! But I can deal with 20L.

Cheers,
Westy
we5ty

Unread postby we5ty » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Hi We5ty,

Welcome to BM's world!

Cheers
Luis

I'll post it in the recipes section - I adjusted the recipe slightly from last time to suit the malts I had available - time will tell if I need to go back to the original recipe!

Cheers,
Westy
we5ty

Unread postby ibbones » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:19 pm

Mr O wrote:Hi westy,
Happy brewing,
Mr O

Mr. O, I cannot tell you which size to get but I can tell you how I picked MY BM20L,
I have been brewing for almost six years with the cooler mash tun and two pots. I even have a keggle so I can do 50L/10G batches. My problem is I only have room for two fermenters and that gives me 50L of the same beer.
I also have a medical problem and can no longer lift the heavy things anymore. I found that I haven't brewed a big batch in about three years. I kept using the smaller pot and did 20L/5G batches. Cleanup was easier and it gave me two different beers to drink.
I have watched a BUNCH of You Tube videos on the Braumeister and (for me) the choice was easy to make.
I not only have no regrets buying the 20L size but I am glad I do not have the 50L size.
Good luck and there is no wrong choice.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Return to Welcome!