Greetings from Portugal!

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Greetings from Portugal!

Unread postby lcatulo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Luis Catulo, 43, been brewing for about 3 years. Now own a BM50 but started with canned kits (now I call them TANG kits... :) ) and after that a BM20.

I like all kinds of beer (that I know of... :D ) but they have to be fresh and carbonated! Call me crazy...

Love to brew and mod my stuff... Already made an 35m cooper wort chiller (for a 2 stage chiller), motorized a "cheap" manual/drill mill, an electric (12V) hoist for the malt pipe and a very nice platform for the BM that keeps it well leveled in the same spot and also serves to tilt the BM with the hoist - don't like to waste all that wort!

This year I also planted my first hops and harvested an amazing 55g of Perle... will try it on my next IPA...

Will be publishing some photos when I have some time.

Cheers,
Luis Catulo

Life begins at 60, 1.060...
Luis Catulo

Life begins at 60... 1.060...
lcatulo

Model: 50 litres

Re: Greetings from Portugal!

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing pics of your mods

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Olá Luis,

Bem-vindo ao fórum ;)
Where are you from? Happy to have a nearby fellow over here :beer:
I'm from Porto, have a BM20, doing lagers until know.

:cheers:
Luis
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby lcatulo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Oi Luis,

Marinha Grande, perto de Leiria...

Doing all sorts of beer... I like quite a lot of a Chimay Red clone (brewed it 3 times already)... Thinking about harvesting the original yeast from some "true" bottles... :)

Luis Catulo
Luis Catulo

lcatulo

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 pm

I'read somewhere (brulosophy, i guess) that yeast used on bottle conditioning is, in some instances, different from the main fermenting yeast. Don't have experience on that.
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby lcatulo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Also did some research on that...

"Apparently" Chimay uses the same yeast on both. I also found a couple of brewers that tried it with GREAT results (so they say...).

I can also go to Chimay brewery and politely ask for some of their yeast... :wink:

Luis Catulo
Luis Catulo

lcatulo

Unread postby niels » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:46 pm

lcatulo wrote:Also did some research on that...

"Apparently" Chimay uses the same yeast on both. I also found a couple of brewers that tried it with GREAT results (so they say...).

I can also go to Chimay brewery and politely ask for some of their yeast... :wink:

Luis Catulo

We use the Chimay yeast from bottle dregs too. It's the real deal! But I suppose there will always be a difference between the yeast cultivated from bottle dregs and a bunch of fresh cells from the propagator.

Besides Chimay the yeast from Westmalle (which is also used by Westvleteren) en Rochefort are very easy to get from bottle dregs. Certainly when you have access to a few fresh bottles.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby lcatulo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 pm

niels wrote:We use the Chimay yeast from bottle dregs too. It's the real deal! But I suppose there will always be a difference between the yeast cultivated from bottle dregs and a bunch of fresh cells from the propagator.

Besides Chimay the yeast from Westmalle (which is also used by Westvleteren) en Rochefort are very easy to get from bottle dregs. Certainly when you have access to a few fresh bottles.

- Niels

Never tried it... How is it done? How many bottles you need to have enough yeast for a 20L batch?

How do you propagate it? Yeast nutrient? Feed it with DME? Join it with female yeast so they make babies? :)
Luis Catulo

lcatulo

Unread postby niels » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm

lcatulo wrote:Never tried it... How is it done? How many bottles you need to have enough yeast for a 20L batch?

How do you propagate it? Yeast nutrient? Feed it with DME? Join it with female yeast so they make babies? :)

I described my method here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=681

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to Welcome!