Hello from South Texas

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hello from South Texas

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Howdy all. Been reading this group for a few months and first post here.I have been brewing since March 2009. Started with extract and specialty grains and moved to all grain a few months later. I have been wanting a Braumeister for a few years and last year in August I set my brewing equipment aside until I could get one. I have some problems lifting heavy stuff and cleaning my equipment was the worst part of my day. It took me a few days to get to moving again after a brew day. I am real excited to not have to clean three different vessels after a day.

Thanks Niels for getting this group together. :beer:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from South Texas

Unread postby niels » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 am

Welcome bones!

Do you have a BM already or still on the lookout?

A friend of mine moved to Austin about 2 years ago. Too hot for me :)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby ibbones » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:13 pm

I ordered a BM yesterday and am really excited about it.
I am 120 miles south of Austin (200 Km) and YES, it is HOT!!!
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby mrpilsner » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:56 am

Hey, Bones, welcome from north Texas!

Congrats on your new BM. Let's learn together; I've used mine twice and plan another brew day Monday.

As you know, this forum is a terrific resource.

Tom
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello Tom. How long have you been brewing? I have been doing it for just over five years and am really excited about the BM. Been reading this forum for a few months getting tips and things to try. There is LOTS of great information here.

My BM is supposed to be here next Wednesday and the power cord on Friday. I'm really supposed to have something to do on Saturday but might have to skip it so I can play.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby mrpilsner » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Hey, Bones!

my son in law got me started in '06..... but sines then we've moved three times and each new address has tweaked my progress from extract to all-grain to BM brewing....

I've been in Texas a year and I am certain I've overcome wort chilling issues.... excited to have BM and transition away from propane and driveway/garage brewing....

however....RIGHT NOW, I'm geeked about BM failing to boil my wort..... MoreBeer (my BM vendor) never returned my call yesterday ( a surprising/unexpected lapse in customer service) ... I'm confident between this forum, MoreBeer and Speidel themselves all will work out....

tom
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:19 pm

mrpilsner wrote:....however....RIGHT NOW, I'm geeked about BM failing to boil my wort..... MoreBeer (my BM vendor) never returned my call yesterday ( a surprising/unexpected lapse in customer service) ... I'm confident between this forum, MoreBeer and Speidel themselves all will work out....

A thermal sleeve will do the trick. I have bought a sleeve and a SS domed lid. I can tell you from experience that you'll get a vigorous boil even outside. Regulations by the Ministry of Household Affairs (aka Mrs. malzrohr) made me into an outdoor brewer :)
Search the forum for custom made lids and thermal sleeves.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:23 pm

mrpilsner wrote:however....RIGHT NOW, I'm geeked about BM failing to boil my wort..... MoreBeer (my BM vendor) never returned my call yesterday ( a surprising/unexpected lapse in customer service) ... I'm confident between this forum, MoreBeer and Speidel themselves all will work out....

tom

Have you set your boil temp to 102C?

Unread postby ibbones » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 pm

mrpilsner wrote:Hey, Bones!

however....RIGHT NOW, I'm geeked about BM failing to boil my wort..... MoreBeer (my BM vendor) never returned my call yesterday ( a surprising/unexpected lapse in customer service) ... I'm confident between this forum, MoreBeer and Speidel themselves all will work out....

tom
That is scaring me because I bought mine from MoreBeer also. And guess what came in the mail TODAY??????
I'm ready to learn a whole different way to brew but my power cord will not be in until Friday. :x

Keep us informed about how yours works out.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby mrpilsner » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:30 pm

More Beer is terrific.... I've worked with them for years for hardware and systems.... they've determined the unit is faulty and have already shipped its replacement.... my return label is printed.... hope to brew again early next week....

do NOT be scared! They are a terrific outfit

t
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Tom, glad it worked out for you.
I have used More Beer a few times before. Bought some big items from them also and they have always been good to work with. I have never bought something that cost as much as the BM before but it came in packed very well and the box had one tear is it but otherwise looked like it had not been beaten up.
I'm still waiting on my power cord. It is supposed to be here Friday and I am gone Saturday so I am hoping to get enough time to at least plug it in and run some water through it.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby mrpilsner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Bones... thanks for your feedback as well.... the replacement BM arrived Saturday and I had to wait until Monday to "test" it.... and I'm concerned....

it took three hours to raise 23L of 24ºC water to 78ºC..... that strikes me as a typical mash profile.....

What DOES concern me today is the three hours it has taken to raise that 78ºC water to 98ºC!! And, there is NO "rolling boil" going on and I sense there is not enough "heat" to make that happen..... in fact, the 98ºC water cooled to 94ºC in the forty minutes without the lid....

I'm confused and a little bit desperate..... did NOT expect this sort of issue..... I wonder if the cord you're awaiting is, in fact, my problem???

I've cobbled mine together with Home Depot parts and access my electric clothes dryer 240V outlet....

Anyway, I've written you first to help me gather my thoughts and facts prior to calling More Beer back....

if any of our forum mates are following our exchange..... FLASH!!!! PLEASE chime in and help me!!!

tom
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Tom, not going to be any help...sorry. I have had my BM for a week and it is STILL sitting on the floor in my living room right next to the box. We had some plumbing leaks and are now having our bathroom redone. There is so much foot traffic that I have not had the chance to even plug it in. Yes, I am really chomping at the bit to try it out but where I need to brew is in the walkway of the garage and supplies are going in and out.
This weekend we are going out of town to a wedding and will not be back until Sunday evening so that day is also out. Monday the tile and painters will be here so no love then either.

Good luck with yours. Could it be the plug? I just bought a plug and will splice it into the cord I bought earlier. My dryer is where I will have to plug it in to.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Return to Welcome!