Greetings from Norway!

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Greetings from Norway!

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Greetings from Norway?

Excellent forum, I reckon.

I'm British (South). We sold up and moved here with the family last year. Beautiful place. I soon started getting homesick, though. Mainly when thinking about the fine qualities of a decent British ale. (And pies!) So I took the 'plunge' and got a 20L BM. (And a copy of the 'Hairy Biker's Perfect Pies'.) Haven't looked back (much) since. Although pondering an upgrade to a 50L (if I can squeeze it past the wife ; ) And now thinking about using black malt (with Norway's pure water!?) to make some dark British crafts. :drink:
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Re: Greetings from Norway!

Unread postby niels » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Welcome!

Norway? Isn't that the country with the best living standard in Europe? A government that has so much money it doesn't know how to spend it all? Blue water, green forests, white snow, ... Wouldn't we all want to move there? And if the global warming ups a few degrees I think it's one of the best places to be.

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Yes, it's a beautiful place... to brew. 'Standard of living' can be a bit subjective and over-rated, unless you have a BM , that is ; )
McMullan

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi Mcmullan,

Welcome here, and I see you are on the right track with a BM to replace the beers that you are missing from England.

You will replicate many a fine British Ale I am sure. :D
Happy brewing.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:49 am

you can get those excellent beers from nogne, i presume? (if you can afford them...?) great beers.
dinnerstick

Unread postby gert » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:38 am

dinnerstick wrote:you can get those excellent beers from nogne, i presume? (if you can afford them...?) great beers.

Just came back from holiday in Norway. Wonderful and stunning country; I really love Scandinavia & Nordic countries! And the new breweries over there! (look at my untappd-page for examples)
But you have to be crazy to buy beer over there. When you buy it in the Vinmonopolet (official government owned alcohol shops) you pay 6 à 8 euro voor 0,5l craft beer (for a holiday once a year that's fine for me). In restaurants it's 15 à 20 euro for 0,5l (no kidding!). Luckily I bought enough beer in the taxfree shop at the airport.
To give you an idea: Nogne O beers are cheaper in Belgium than in Norway...
gert

Model: 200 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Cheers fellas,

Great to be be here. And hats off to Niels for making it happen!

Absolutely, Dicko. It's been one of the most enjoyable learning curves in Norway so far. Ringwood, mainly Fortyniner and Old Thumper, to get familiar with the BM. And some surprisingly nice Kolsch for the hot summer. Now planning some Gales Festival Mild and Mauldon's Black Adder for the Autumn and guaranteed brass-monkey Winter.

Dinerstick, I've spent too much time eyeing up those bottles of Nøgne and Haandbryggeriet ales in the 'wine monopoly' (the state-run off licence here). They start at about 25 US $ per litre! Gert, so true, mate. If I'm on holiday, I'm usually 'what the hell'. Living here, I'm like 'WTF?'. My curious side keeps telling me 'buy some'. My wallet and less curious side (the wife) keep telling me 'buy some grains, hops and keep the yeast happy...and shine that BM daily with love.' Luckily, there are some great home brew shops here.
McMullan

Unread postby codex » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:36 am

Hi McMullan and welcome to the forum.

I am still only a potential owner, reading home brew books, gathering research and information on the BM's I am still 50/50 between the 20 & 50 models, but planning a purchase soon.

So I am particularly interested in the fact that you are considering an upgrade to the 50lt model, having already spent some time with the 20lt. May I ask what reasons for the upgrade?

I think the only reason putting me off going for the bigger model, is the need for assistance in lifting the full malt pipe after the mash. I have seen various lifting devices, but not sure if I want to go to that extent, but there again, it has more flexibility especially with the 25 malt pipe.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
codex

Unread postby McMullan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi codex,

I honestly can't fault the BM. A truly excellent piece of kit that's delivering more than my expectations. I decided I was going to get one to brew lots of different beers, mainly for me :D. Over the last 10 months, I've brewed regularly, but only 4 different beers (Fortyniner, Old Thumper, Punk IPA and Kolsch (original pils with Saaz). I will be brewing some different recipes this autumn, though. But I'd like to make bigger batches. It's not just me who enjoys my brews! And, more importantly, brew day is brew day, whether it's with a 20L or a 50L. For the 50L, I'd see my 'day' involving twice as much milling, another starter and a little more cleaning. The benefit for me is I'd get two fermentations active from one brew day. And, as you noted, you'd have the flexibility to brew smaller batches, too. Lifting the 50L malt pipe? I don't know. The 50L owners here will be better sources of advice on that question. I read somewhere that, without a winch or a helper, you could drain a little wort to get past the suction. Personally, I'm planning on turning my lovely wife into a 'wench'. Sorry, 'winch'. No, a 'helper'! :lol: My best advice is to carefully consider the level of consumption of the fantastic beer you'll be making. Once word gets out, they'll all want some! :cheers:
McMullan

Unread postby codex » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks for the valuable advice. I have gone from 50/50 to 90/10 in favour of the 50lt model. :D

As you say, a brew day would take roughly the same amount of time whichever model you have, and the extra beer certainly will come in handy . I plan to start off with 25lt batches anyway, until I gain some experience, so the lifting of the full size malt pipe can be tackled further down the road.

Cheers
codex

Return to Welcome!