Who I am, What I do

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

RE: Who I am, What I do

Unread postby Elderberry » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 pm

cpa4ny wrote:

On a side note ever tried any Elderberry flower wine?
(also I learned to appreciate in devonshire product ;- )
Cheers

Sort of. I've had Cantillon Mamouche brewed with elder flowers.

More info on me: I'm fairly indifferent to elder flowers or berries. I just happen to live on Vlierboomstraat, which basically translates to Elderberry Street. :)
Elderberry

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby KentBrewer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi,

another brewer from the UK here - I am based in Kent not too far from the Shepherd Neame brewery.

I was brewing all grain for a while with a three-tier gravity system until I found the Braumeister. I am easily impressed with shiny things and I got my 20 litre BM back in 2010 when the screens in the malt pipe were cloth and a real pain to keep flat. I made a couple of mods including making mesh screens from frying pan spatter-guards to replace the cloth screens and a dip tube, but I am really interested to see some of the stuff others are doing on this site.

I work in a medical diagnostics company in Salisbury so can only brew on the weekends. I am also a beekeeper so that takes up some of my weekend time but I do have honey for some of those special brews and I think I'll try a traditional Braggot this year.

Cheers
KentBrewer

Unread postby Twonky » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am

dinnerstick wrote:
Twonky wrote:On a side note ever tried any Elderberry flower wine?

:cheers:
Cheers

i have a pretty good recipe for that.... and believe it or not it involves the braumeister (for bottle pasteurization) !!

It is very easy to make ;-)
Very refreshing on hot summer days, but I find it a bit 'empty' for lack of a better word.....

I tried dry-flowering ;-) an ESB and that turned out really great. And is something I'll repeat for a third time when there are plentiful flowers again ;-)

Cheers
Twonky

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Twonky » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:29 am

KentBrewer wrote:Hi,
another brewer from the UK here - I am based in Kent not too far from the Shepherd Neame brewery.
Cheers

Welcome KEntBrewer ;-)
Twonky

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 am

I'm Andy and I live in Cervantes, which is a small fishing town just North of Perth in Western Australia.

I work in the Oil & Gas industry and generally work in remote locations on a Fly In, Fly Out rotational basis.

I'm a keen fisherman, but needed a hobby that I could pursue when it's too windy to put the boat in.

I did a lot of wine and kit beer brewing back when I was in my 20's but gave it away due to a combination of poor results and being able to actually afford to buy beer.

I'm now rapidly approaching 50 and collect my 20 Litre Braumeister on Tuesday. I can't wait to get into AG Brewing the easy way and hopefully turn out some good beers.

I'm originally from the UK and miss good British bitters and ales, so am now hopefully going to be able to replicate those in the BM.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby niels » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:04 am

Cervantes wrote:I'm originally from the UK and miss good British bitters and ales, so am now hopefully going to be able to replicate those in the BM.

Welcome Andy! I'm sure we'll be able to help you get started on your new shiny piece of kit!

I think that forum member piet_v is brewing almost exclusive UK beers. You'll probably want to talk to him about recipes for these beers.

Enjoy your stay! (And your brews!)

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Skippa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Another Aussie Brewer. Down in Tasmania. I've had the BM 20l for about a year, getting plenty of use. Had previously brewed extract and distilled. Really interested in historic Australian beers. Tassie has an interesting history, well and truly soaked in alcohol, and I like to brew with to big flavours the old boys would have enjoyed.
Skippa

Model: 500 litres

Unread postby Lylo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 am

Met a guy from Tassie while touring South America,we spent a lot of time together but I couldn't get him to see the merits in good beer. He seemed to like the Brazil and Peru lagers whcih for the most part were awful.He was from a place called West Scotsdale, anywhere near you? I was hoping maybe a countryman could show him some good beer!
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Skippa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 am

Lylo wrote:Met a guy from Tassie while touring South America,we spent a lot of time together but I couldn't get him to see the merits in good beer. He seemed to like the Brazil and Peru lagers whcih for the most part were awful.He was from a place called West Scotsdale, anywhere near you? I was hoping maybe a countryman could show him some good beer!

Yes and no. Tasmania is small so in general terms only 1 1/2 hours, but in 'Tassie' terms a world away. He is up in the North of the state, I'm in the South (Hobart). We have a great history of beer difference here. The north would only drink Boags and the south would only drink Cascade. A 2 brewery state for a long time- nearly a century! Thankfully the Craft Beer industry is making headway, with quite a few now down here. But still a long way off the 1850's when there was 70 breweries. With a population of less than 100,000 at the time, they were a thirsty lot!!!
Hopefully your mate seeks some of the new beers about.
Skippa

Model: 500 litres

Re: RE: Who I am, What I do

Unread postby malzrohr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:05 am

dinnerstick wrote:

Cheers

i have a pretty good recipe for that.... and believe it or not it involves the braumeister (for bottle pasteurization) !!

Triggered by your using the BM for Bottle pasteurisation. Do you use a false bottom to rest your bottles on or do you put them on the base of the BM?
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Re: Who I am, What I do

Unread postby rocketman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:03 am

I'm rocketman (or Fredrik) from Sweden, 37 years old, live on top of the "big" lake Vänern in Karlstad, married, father of three (13, 12 and 2 years old),
started brewing about a year ago using BIAB (40L batch size) and everything has escalated since. Took the Chemistry of Beer course at University
of Oklahoma and got a B (yay, had to study as crazy, really hard..). Got my BM about 6m ago. Now I can brew much more often and with more
consistent results. I work in the IT-hosting-industry with Linux and Open Source as my speciality (for about 16 years). I have some other
hobbies too. I'm a avid closed circuit rebreather, electronics tinkerer, model rocket builder and multirotor rc-flyer..
rocketman

Unread postby HopSong » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm Bill (HbgBill cuz I live in Healdsburg, CA). I'm a product of 1940.. so, fast approaching 75.. don't know what that is in metric. I started brewing in ~1972 when i was part of a post grad team at the Univ of Calif in Berkeley. We had monthly gatherings/BBQ's.. and there are a lot of great stories of what we had to eat.. but, that for another time. Then, it was illegal to brew beer but wine was OK.. go figure. But, we found ways to buy hop flavored malt, corn sugar and some sort of yeast. I knew NOTHING about temp control or the need for it.. much less sanitation. It made beer of a sort. I only made about 60 liters before giving it up. Fast forward to about 1985. Joined a local beer club and went back to extract w/steeping grains, good water, good temp, good sanitation.. Wow.. I was interested again.. but, alas.. quit after about another 60 or so liters. Fast forward to early retirement in 1998 from Hewlett-Packard. Rejoined the beer club and back again to extract brewing. More good beer.. but, this time I didn't quit. Recently, as in about 3-4 years ago, I got into all grain using BIAB as a process and haven't looked back. I enjoy the help I get with the BIAB group and I'm trying to hone my consistency. As you might be aware from some of my posts here, I have a 20L BM ordered. It should be here on Monday, Oct, 6th. I can't wait.. In the meantime, I have a couple of jobs to finish as well as figure WHERE I'm going to brew (indoors or outdoors) and get power to that location. Either way, a long extension cord will help until I get that figured out. I may well be relying on Nesto for a bit of help on brew #1. Cheers guys
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Who I am, What I do

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey Bill, let me know when 1st brew day will be, I might be able to drive up!

I'm Ernie, "Nesto" (my Spanish speaking friends called me Ernesto) - not my given name, but what most friends call me. Live in Danville, CA - near San Francisco. Started brewing in 2002 with my next door neighbor and his cobbled together 3V system. We had a great 1st effort that led him to buy a MoreBeer Brew Sculpture 10gallon system (40 liters). We brewed together for 10 years - just a few batches a year. A couple years ago he moved out of state. It took me less than a year to convince SWMBO that I needed my own system and bought a BM20 along with 2 new brew partners. We also invested in a heated/cooled conical fermenter. The BM ease of brewing means I now brew about once a month and also do a cider batch for the ladies in our lives every other month.

I got interested in competitions a few years ago. The old system's beers didn't do much - decent scores, but no medals. With the BM, I've won two competitions with my Weizen (including one BoS) and placed 2nd with my Saison. Hope to do more competitions and might become a BJCP judge in the next year.

Other hobbies include hiking, camping and marathoning - have to work all that beer off!

Re: RE: Who I am, What I do

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 am

malzrohr wrote:
dinnerstick wrote:

Cheers

Triggered by your using the BM for Bottle pasteurisation. Do you use a false bottom to rest your bottles on or do you put them on the base of the BM?

They sit on the base. I have had bottles explode so be careful not to overcarbonate. Works great for keg carbing, beergun bottling and then very safely pasteurizing, a bit more wreckless if you bottle carb.
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:06 am

Me dinnerstick, in netherlands, type like neanderthal as i havent had coffee yet, and typing on borrowed ipad which is a pain. first brewed in early 90s, extract and steeping, randomly made sone good and some undrinkable beers. Gave it up for a while but living in england during my PhD ( dPhil since at stuffy oxford) threw together a couple kits and some cider and was back on the horse. Did some cooler mashes 2v and biab, settled on bm20 a few years back, focus a lot on fermentation now. Love playing with brett. Recently made the 'brewery' legal, so i can contract brew, buy and sell. Have been on at festivals and a couple pubs. Biologist by day. Like to ride my racing bikes to keep the beergut away.
dinnerstick

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!