Niels R. - Programmer by day, brewer by night

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Niels R. - Programmer by day, brewer by night

Unread postby niels » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 am

As the "founder" of this forum I will start off the introductions by revealing a bit about me.

I live in Belgium. A small country in Europe with a few unique qualities. Some of them might be beer-related.
To earn my living I pimp myself out as a freelance programmer, which comes in handy when starting an Internet community.
Although I'm not married, I live together with my girlfriend and our son. A second child is in the works and can be delivered any minute now.

I have been brewing for a little less than 3 years now and I own my Braumeister 50L since October 2013. As I try to brew about once a month I have now 3 successful brews on it using the short malt pipe (25L brews).
Because we are still renovating our house I don't have a dedicated brewing spot. At the moment I occupy part of the cellar/garage with a non-permanent set-up. I hope to change that in the coming year by cleaning up a small room in the cellar and making it my man cave with a permanent Braumeister set-up.

Oh, and about my favourite beers... I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but I hope to change that by brewing some non-Belgian style beers. My favourite trappists are Orval and Westmalle Tripel and my ideal summer beers are geuzes/lambics.

Cheers! ;)
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: Niels R. - Programmer by day, brewer by night

Unread postby SteveOR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Belgium beers are great! I feel very jealous of your location. Whats yeasts are you using? Any brettanomyces local that you use? I just ordered some petri dishes and agar to see if anything is present here in Oregon. Thanks for creating this site. I was reading thru 118 pages on another site that was just full of BM material but all in one thread as opposed to nicely broken out like you have created.

Cheers
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 pm

SteveOR wrote:Belgium beers are great! I feel very jealous of your location. Whats yeasts are you using? Any brettanomyces local that you use? I just ordered some petri dishes and agar to see if anything is present here in Oregon. Thanks for creating this site. I was reading thru 118 pages on another site that was just full of BM material but all in one thread as opposed to nicely broken out like you have created.

Cheers

No, I didn't try any brett yet... I'm planning to brew a brett later this winter so it will be ready by the summer of 2015. ;)

When considering the purchase of my BM I did read the whole (!) BM thread on HomeBrewTalk. It took me several weeks, but I've found a lot of good information in it. But then I also realised that it was not a practical way of helping out BM users. Hence the creation of this forum.
I am aware that this forum is very niche, but I hope it will work out. I'm investing a considerable amount of money and time in it, so fingers crossed!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:48 am

Hi Neils,

Congratulations on 100 Subscribers and thanks for your efforts in creating such a great forum!
:beer:

Andy_Chil
Andy_Chil

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 am

Andy_Chil wrote:Hi Neils,

Congratulations on 100 Subscribers and thanks for your efforts in creating such a great forum!

Andy_Chil

20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby niels » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am

Andy_Chil wrote:Hi Neils,

Andy_Chil

Thanks a lot! I'm very happy we reached the 100 members on such short time (about 5 weeks)!

And I thank you all for taking part of the forum! Without any active members it would be pretty empty and useless.

:cheers:

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to Welcome!