Hi from Ireland

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hi from Ireland

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 am

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 20L Braumeister so I've been doing some reading up on the forum. Very useful info!

I've been brewing for many years and have reached the point where I want to eliminate unnecessary tasks on brewdays and streamline the process. I also want to have maximum flexibility and good solid equipment. The Braumeister will allow me to do step mashes and it will take up less space, which is a great start. However, I'd like to supplement it in various ways to create a better overall system. For example, I want to create a whirlpool chiller to speed up chilling and I want to build a heat stick to give me some more juice, especially for higher gravity beers to speed up the boil process. Here's what I'm planning to get:

- 20L Braumeister with an insulating jacket
- stainless steel hop filter that can be removed for whirlpooling, like this: https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewing ... 0hopspider
- a three piece tri clamp compatible ball valve to replace the existing tap, like this: https://www.brewershardware.com/1-Tri-C ... P12ID.html
- a chugger pump to recirculate the wort during whirlpooling, with tri clamp connections all the way
- 40' of 1/2" copper tubing to create an immersion chiller that hugs the inside of the Braumeister
- a stainless steel heat stick (with an ultra low watt density element - probably 2500w) to speed up heating the strike water and evaporating the wort more quickly for high gravity beers

There are a couple of more bit and bobs I'm planning on adding but that's the basic setup. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in on the forums.

Cheers
Dr Jacoby

Re: Hi from Ireland

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Dr Jacoby,
You should look at the chiller from Speidel. Its stainless steel and is so easy to clean. You can basically host it off. Sometimes i put it directly in the dishwasher. Might be more expensive than copper but you never need to worry about infections etc. I have a 50l unit. It takes me 20-25 mins to cool a 20l batch from boiling down to about 22 desgrees celcius. As with anything from speidel its very well made and wont lose its shape very easily. This is something you will probably need to watch out for as the chiller needs to fit inside the element rings
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Re: Hi from Ireland

Unread postby niels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 am

Hi Dr Jacoby,

That's one nice starter set you have planned out :)

As bierfest stated there is a SS immersion cooler from Speidel which is very nicely built and is easy to clean. Of course, copper is a better conductor than stainless steel, so you will get better results with a copper spiral.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will get some useful stuff from it.

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Return to Welcome!