Hello from Maryland

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hello from Maryland

Unread postby maducey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Hello World!

I've been at this for about a year now and I'm still making mistakes, yet putting on weight!

I have the 50l BM and I am very happy with it.
maducey
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 2:44 pm
Model: 50 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum maducey.

I can't really blame my BM for me putting on weight as I liked beer well before I ever got my BM. :lol:

On a serious note, weight can become a problem for brewers and drinkers, I have had that problem and I have put a concerted effort in over the last year to reduce my weight to a more acceptable (and healthy) level. I now feel great and enjoy a lot more activities than I was doing before.

I think all home brewers make mistakes to some degree and we are all learning from them...keep up the good work. :cheers: :drink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:57 am

Any weight-loss tips Dicko? (besides drinking less beer!) :-p
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:55 pm

I try to stick to;
No bread,
No potato,
No sugar, except the sugar in beer.
No cakes sweets or processed foods,
Only good carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits,except the carbs in beer.
A bit more exercise,
I did virtually give up beer for 3 and a half months to get me started. Now I try to stick to only 3 or 4 beers when I have a drink.
I cut my meal sizes in half, particularly the evening meal so I wasn't going to bed with a full stomach.
Plenty of support from my wife and encouragement from my family.

It is hard at times but it works and I am a lot happier and healthier. :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby mrpilsner » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:26 pm

welcome, maducey....
litres later
mrpilsner
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:04 pm
Location: Texas
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Nath83 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Which Maryland are you from? in Aus?
User avatar
Nath83
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:06 am

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:31 am

Dicko wrote:I try to stick to;
No bread,
No potato,
No sugar, except the sugar in beer.
No cakes sweets or processed foods,
Only good carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits,except the carbs in beer.
A bit more exercise,
I did virtually give up beer for 3 and a half months to get me started. Now I try to stick to only 3 or 4 beers when I have a drink.
I cut my meal sizes in half, particularly the evening meal so I wasn't going to bed with a full stomach.
Plenty of support from my wife and encouragement from my family.

It is hard at times but it works and I am a lot happier and healthier. :D


Those are great! No carb - means it is essentially Atkins type of diet?

I got a bit of a beer gut that I need to part with. :roll:
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:03 am

cpa4ny wrote:
Dicko wrote:I try to stick to;
No bread,
No potato,
No sugar, except the sugar in beer.
No cakes sweets or processed foods,
Only good carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits,except the carbs in beer.
A bit more exercise,
I did virtually give up beer for 3 and a half months to get me started. Now I try to stick to only 3 or 4 beers when I have a drink.
I cut my meal sizes in half, particularly the evening meal so I wasn't going to bed with a full stomach.
Plenty of support from my wife and encouragement from my family.

It is hard at times but it works and I am a lot happier and healthier. :D


Those are great! No carb - means it is essentially Atkins type of diet?

I got a bit of a beer gut that I need to part with. :roll:


I am not familiar with the Atkins Diet however this is a low carb diet and it is approved by my Doctor, in fact he is very happy with my results. :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 am

Even this bit :cheers:

Dicko wrote:Except the carbs in beer.


Drinking on the advice of the Doctor. I wonder if the Mrs will fall for it.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:44 am

Cervantes wrote:Even this bit :cheers:

Dicko wrote:Except the carbs in beer.


Drinking on the advice of the Doctor. I wonder if the Mrs will fall for it.


Give it a go if you have a weight problem...your Mrs may get a surprise. :wink:

My Doctor knows I wont be giving up beer :lol:
And from my results you dont have to if you watch what you eat and drink in moderation.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm

cpa4ny wrote:
Dicko wrote:I try to stick to;
No bread,
No potato,
No sugar, except the sugar in beer.
No cakes sweets or processed foods,
Only good carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits,except the carbs in beer.
A bit more exercise,
I did virtually give up beer for 3 and a half months to get me started. Now I try to stick to only 3 or 4 beers when I have a drink.
I cut my meal sizes in half, particularly the evening meal so I wasn't going to bed with a full stomach.
Plenty of support from my wife and encouragement from my family.

It is hard at times but it works and I am a lot happier and healthier. :D


Those are great! No carb - means it is essentially Atkins type of diet?

I got a bit of a beer gut that I need to part with. :roll:

I did a lot of diet research last year after a heart attack at age 50. Lost 55 lbs on a diet that sounds similar to Dicko's... it was my own amalgam of Atkins (the new Westman version) and South Beach. Atkins seems to emphasize a slightly higher fat percentage and keeps carbs out of the diet for longer. South Beach phases you from no starches and no fruit to low levels of fruit and whole grains. South Beach also discourages red meats and saturated fats - something that I did not follow. Just like Dicko, I gave up beer for about 4 months. And after dropping the weight, SWMBO was perfectly happy to give her thumbs up on the BM20 purchase.

And don't let the lack of starch made you think that it's "low carb," what I like to think is that it's "sensible carb." You do have to love vegetables - as that's where I get most of my carbs. I eat fruit in moderation - a lot of sugar content. And I cheat one day a week - eat whatever I want (got that idea from 4 Hour Body, Tim Ferris). After my four months of no beer, I now drink beer mostly just on the weekends, which is plenty of time to drink all of the output from my BM20.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm

I've chosen a Paleo/Primal lifestyle, which is far more than just a diet and far too involved to explain on a welcome thread! Something that can be kept going for the rest of your life rather than just a fad and is also about healthiness and fitness rather as well as losing weight.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres

Re: Hello from Maryland

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:11 am

Thank you all for sharing - this really got me thinking. :cheers:
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres


Return to Welcome!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest