New Braumeister brewer in Michigan, USA

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

New Braumeister brewer in Michigan, USA

Unread postby cyberbackpacker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Good day!

I've been brewing for about a dozen years- I started out doing stove top no-sparge all grain, moved to stove top with a cooler MLT all grain, then I had two custom built BCS-460(2) rigs... But, I've wanted a BM since they first came out, but cost was too prohibitive.

I found my (new to me) BM20 advertised locally on Sunday while searching for something completely different; needless to say though Monday night I purchased it and brought it home. The advertised price was good, but what I actually paid was a steal-- literally too good a price to pass up. I was not searching for a Braumeister, but I am stoked to have it. Like I said, I've had my eye on them for years.

The first thing I have started to do is clean it... the actual kettle and mash tubes, etc are clean, but the underside was filthy, and the pump was especially nasty. I disassembled the whole pump assembly (unions, elbows, pump head, etc) and did a deep clean. There was some grain and hops particulate in the head, and the head and fittings were filthy in spots. An acid wash and some scrubbing with Barkeeper's Friend cleaned them up great.

While apart I was going to do the lower outlet pump mod, went to get parts this morning, and selection was poor, and the parts were going to be in excess of $30 (already have an "L" type 3-way valve)-- not a ton of money, but after buying the BM20 funds are tight. So for now I am going to hold off on that mod and hopefully just get to brewing a batch as designed!

Excited to be here!
Attachments
IMG_0912.JPG
cyberbackpacker

Re: New Braumeister brewer in Michigan, USA

Unread postby Brewedout » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Congratulations on bagging a bargain

Fun times ahead

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Brewedout

Re: New Braumeister brewer in Michigan, USA

Unread postby mashy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:08 pm

The start of a new journey. It will be interesting to hear how your recipes translate.

I am coming around to thinking BM beer is cleaner tasting and more consistent than other units.

Keep us updated. 8)
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Return to Welcome!