Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Unread postby jonesee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 am

Hello All, I have just joined the Braumeisters community! I am from North Wales, UK. I have lots of experience in AG brewing using a Grainfather and I am upgrading to a Braumeister 20l PLUS. The equipment has been ordered, not received it yet, but due to arrive later this week or early next. Are there any decent books specific to the Braumeister? I am not sure how the different rest periods in the mash schedule are set up? I am used to mashing at 1 temp of ~66 C for about 60 - 90 mins?

Cheers
:beer:
jonesee

Re: New member

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:29 pm

welcome Jonesee

can i ask what made you upgrade?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby jonesee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:45 pm

I've had the GF a number years now (pre "connect" model) looking a bit dated now. Decided to upgrade as it has an integrated cooling jacket and an add-on of a wifi module. I have always wanted a Braumeister.
jonesee

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Interesting as I have a mate that sometimes brews with me. He is toying with idea of getting into brewing himself and his Mrs asked about me getting him set up for a big birthday surprise and wants me to sort the equipment. Don’t know whether to suggest a BM or a grainfarther.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am

Onthebrew wrote:Interesting as I have a mate that sometimes brews with me. He is toying with idea of getting into brewing himself and his Mrs asked about me getting him set up for a big birthday surprise and wants me to sort the equipment. Don’t know whether to suggest a BM or a grainfarther.

There is a few options out there now.

It might depend on the budget or wanting web connected.

https://www.zoedale.co.uk/camurri-braue ... -1130.html

I think these really are worth a look. They do a 50 & a 20.

Alternatively also look at the bulldog or the aussie one that's just landed in the UK. ALVA is still the best controller.
Last edited by mashy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby jonesee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 am

it really does depend on the budget, if your mates missus doesn't have one, then he is a lucky boy :D . Its a difficult choice even as the BM is almost twice the price as the GF. They both have decent brewing community websites....but you don't have to own any of the equipment to access their web sites/communities/recipes of course.

The BM is supposed to be "the Rolls Royce/Ferrari" of one-pot type of brewing. There are lots of YouTube videos out there search BM vs GF, it seems that the GF holds well against the BM, but the vids are at least a year old and they don't compare with the new BM Plus models. I haven't received my BM yet so can't comment personally but I know of a few people who say that the BM is proper quality. It seems that you can buy almost any part for the BM: heater element, pump, pump impeller, filter, mash tun etc etc You can buy lots of accessories for the GF too of course but I'm not sure if the range is as extensive, but I may be wrong?

I have a Bulldog (BD) too and it's a good basic starter kit, the temps are a bit dodgy on occasions but not a massive issue as long as you check the temps frequently of course. My pump broke after a few brews (BD replaced this free of charge), the new pump worked fine though. Bulldog have upgraded and increased the price of their equipment and it now looks very much like a GF albeit a few hundred quid cheaper.

Arsegan have a very similar unit as GF and BD, its a similar priced to the BD....not sure if there is a UK supplier but there is one in Belgium that ships to the UK (HomebrewShop.be)

The BM unit (20L and 50L) are frequently out of stock so there will be a delay in picking one up (although they have stock with a NI supplier but its at least 100 quid dearer).
jonesee

Unread postby mashy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 am

AAAAArrg.. What is the aussie one called....

There is the Klarstein mash kettle but not sure thats it either...
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 pm

looks there are a lot of options out there now. cheers for that, Mashy it was tough enough deciding between the two as it is :wink:
- If it wasn't supposed to be a surprise id send him the links to look through himself.

i said GF is best value for money and probably the most popular now on the market - solid mid market option by the look of it. But because i have a BM , i think his wife thinks thats the way to go. its a surprise for his 50th, so i cant really ask him. quite tricky.

i researched them both quite a bit before i went for the BM as a complete newbie but not sure i would recommend it as a surprise gift. That said at least i would be clued up to help him along with it.

And the fact that even though Jonesee owns a fully working GF, but has still invested well over a grand for a BM makes me think maybe thats the way to go ( although the cooling jacket has had quite a but of negative feedback on here if i recall correctly?? .I myself still have issue with temp fluctuations and others with misting controllers)

i guess the good second hand market on BMs does reduce the risk a bit too?
Onthebrew

Unread postby jonesee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:25 pm

There are a lot of options as mashy has said and it makes the choice more difficult since its a special gift for a mate. I would agree that the GF is the best mid-option kit and is very popular....tons of YouTube vids out there to help. It is a bit similar concept to the BM (main diff is the way the mash is carried out) so u shouldn't have a problem helping ur mate.

With the BM, I have read that the cooling was a little slow but haven't seen any other issues on other sites. Some BM users, don't use cooling (coils or via built in jacket) they leave the wort to cool naturally overnight. Basically I bought the BM because I thought its the best and I am looking forward to receiving it (been told that it will be delivered around 14th Dec!).

As its a special b'day I would avoid a second hand one at the very least there is a warranty with a new one, but u know ur mate better than me of course!

If u bought a GF then u would be able to buy lots of other equipment well within the price of a BM. You could buy: Fermenter, Sparge Water Kettle, A few second hand Corny Kegs (cost ~£50 each, Small Fridge (for fermentation...cost <£100), temp controller and heating pad etc

Either option you choose he's going to be very happy with it! :drink:
jonesee

Unread postby mashy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Dare I say 'condensation?'

From a massively biased viewpoint "i guess the good second hand market on BMs does reduce the risk a bit too?" 1000000000000000000000000000% agree. Get a grey controller. OK you don't get twinkly light or a web interfaces. But it works.

If I was buying new I really really would have to think hard NOT to be a Camurri. Sorry. And Tim the owner of Zeodale is a real nice chap. They have one running in the place and the invite is always there to join them on brew days. No been yet - the temptation is tooo great..... but it does need an Lower tap fitting LOL.
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 pm

mashy wrote:AAAAArrg.. What is the aussie one called....

Robobrew, there's a 65L version out too. Not the best quality, but gets the job done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am

And another midrange product... ......

https://www.hopcat.eu/product-page/hopc ... -pre-order

The website reads well - does anyone know anyone with one ?
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:51 pm

aziztan wrote:
mashy wrote:AAAAArrg.. What is the aussie one called....

Robobrew, there's a 65L version out too. Not the best quality, but gets the job done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks you... yes indeed. There is a few that all look pretty similar
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Onthebrew wrote:Interesting as I have a mate that sometimes brews with me. He is toying with idea of getting into brewing himself and his Mrs asked about me getting him set up for a big birthday surprise and wants me to sort the equipment. Don’t know whether to suggest a BM or a grainfarther.

Update. Look at the robobrew v3. Probably the best option in that price range.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Budget wise GF is fine so it’s just between that and the BM. Maybe the 10 litre BM a compromise option?

Don’t know much about that robobrew ( had a quick look from that link) and therefore wouldn't feel comfortable to recommend it, it might be great but might not (also, imagine your Mrs was going to buy you a BM ( hooray!) but your mate ( BM owning himself) persuaded her not to bother and instead talked her I to buying you a budget entry level system. You might want to have words with him!

The GF has a good rep so would be happy to back that( I think.)
Onthebrew

Next

Return to Welcome!