Hi!

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hi!

Unread postby stevodevo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:12 am

Hi All,

Well, it's been so long since I've been around these parts, I figured a re-introduction was in order haha! After roughly a two year break from brewing due to few things, including a new job that's kept me very busy in my spare time, I've got the itch again, and starting to get all my gear back in order to get brewing again. I've ordered a bit of new gear to get me excited, and also looking to upgrade the fermenter to something a bit bigger and shinier to sit proudly next to the Braumeister.

I may still be a while off until I've got my head back in the game and get an actual brew going, but I'll be sure to check in more often and share how I go getting back into it.

I see Mashy has been VERY active, clocking up over 2K posts while I've been gone. Very impressive!

Steve
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Hi!

Unread postby mashy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Welcome back !
2k Jeez really hadn't looked - gotta to read it now :D

There is a new game is town called spammer baiting - side splittingly good post. [congrats MBC]

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2908

What fermenter are you after ?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby stevodevo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:48 pm

mashy wrote:Welcome back !

There is a new game is town called spammer baiting - side splittingly good post. [congrats MBC]

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2908

Wow... looks like a came back just in time :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I spotted a post on here somewhere with someone getting themselves a Grainfather Conical and Glycol setup (probably rightfully so in the show off section I think). That got my interest peaked, and I think it's a really good combo, but after looking into it a bit more, I'm now leaning towards an SS Brewtech 7 Gal Unitank (https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ ... al-unitank). Waaaaaay over the top for my needs, but I've worked pretty hard the last couple of years so I'm keen to reward myself with something semi-pro that has lots of bells and whistles and fairly future proof. Something really cool to really get me back into my hobby that I've neglected in favour of work all too often lately. Please - nobody comment about how a plastic bucket will achieve the same result for under $5 bucks :wink:

I just got confirmation today from SS that the Unitanks don't work well for partial batches like their Chronicals (the Chrinical series has an optional extension for the immersion chiller to get down deeper into the tank). Look back to my previous brews and you may recall I mainly do 10 litre batches, so unfortunately it's not the slam dunk decision I first thought. The reply I got said they are considering offering that option for the Unitank, but no ETA at this stage. To be honest I think I'm still keen one one, because I'm planning on ramping up volumes anyway. I've also just got myself an SS Brew Bucket Mini that I can use for small batches if I have to, so I do have some options.

The Unitank and optional FTSs add-on costs a fair bit more than the GF Conical, so a Glycol chiller is probably off the cards for now. I'm thinking I'll just try to rig up something that runs from my kegerator through a submersible pump (or glycol through a cheap second hand freezer) for cooling water. Either that or just get a bigger fermentation fridge and chuck the whole thing in that. I do kinda like the idea of having it all out on display though :-)
stevodevo

Unread postby mashy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:20 am

Now that is sweet. Grainfather Conical Fermenter Pro Edition.

I am on record as not liking stainless fermenters, because I would need to setup the fermentation environment in the brewshed.
I currently lug my youngs/coppers wide mouth wine fermenters back into the house.

Have spent a while thinking about a fermentation fridge design.

Grainfather Conical Fermenter Pro Edition does that digitally. I am lucky that I would only need the heating. Outdoor brewsheds in the UK only get above 20 for 1 day in August normally - so I avoid it :D That said it won't bottle condition - my fermentation fridge design will take 3 crates!

That might make the birthday list .............. maybe.
mashy

Unread postby Cristian » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm

hi, it was me posting the photo of the GF conical + glycol chiller. :)
I was also in between the Unitank and GF conical but in the end, due to price/complexity of the unitank/older technology compared to GF, I went for the GF kit. Double insulation wall is very efficient.
in my case carbonating the beer in the fermentation tank was not a plus as I prefer to have the conical ready for next batch.
I made 2 beers using the kit and it's impressive. I highly recommend it.
Cristian

Unread postby stevodevo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes, that was the pic I saw! As I said, that pic really got me thinking about how a setup like that could simplify my processes and get me back into brewing, so thanks for sharing... although my wife probably isn't as pleased about the expense as I am :-)

Thanks for the current feedback about the GF combo. I'm still very much on the fence at the moment, and I have to sell a few of my other toys to fund this purchase so every little bit of info is going into the pot for a decision to be made within the next month or so.
stevodevo

Unread postby Cristian » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:42 pm

haha same for me. I started to sell my old stainless steel pot and other accessories on eBay 1 year ago. each salary about 50 euros in a special box named homebrew was a great contributor :)). present for my birthday was a voucher from my local homebrew shop so in the end, it was not to difficult.
simplified process yes but still about 5 hours from start to end of cleaning is needed :)
With my soon future wife was simple. I told her just a fraction of the price :))) hope she will not find the invoices. it was more of a problem the space needed and noise. but I am working on it :)
Cristian

Unread postby stevodevo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 am

Dicko's footer quote is still one of the best ever.... "The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it" :lol:
stevodevo

Unread postby Cristian » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 am

genius! :)) and applies to the majority :)))
Cristian

Unread postby mashy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 am

yeah - I am well and truly a member of that club
mashy

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:59 am

I always buy something for the brew shed when the wife asks to take money out to buy her tobacco, it's called psychology because it makes her feel justified (I'm a non smoker). :beerbang:
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Return to Welcome!