Prospective New Owner

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Prospective New Owner

Unread postby Eirebrau » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 am

Hi all and greetings from the north west of Ireland. I've been considering buying the 20 or 50 litre for a while now. New house build due to start soon with a dedicated corner in the garage for the set up. Sláinte!
Níl aon beoir mar do beoir féin.....
Eirebrau

Re: Prospective New Owner

Unread postby mbarn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Welcome.
They are great machines.
I chose the 20l so I could brew different beers more often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbarn

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Eirebrau » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks Mbarn. What type fermentor do you use?
Eirebrau

Unread postby BarnBrian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 pm

I went for the 20l, I think for my own needs I should have gone for the 50l. I tend to go through a Cornie in about 10 days. I've recently bought a 14 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical so going to try different methods of brewing double batches on a fortnightly basis.
I went straight from kits to the BM so not done BIAB or three vessel brewing. Apart from the initial cost, for me the BM is brilliant, easy to clean, doesn't take up much space, no need to sparge etc.
I don't think you will regret buying one whichever way you go.
BarnBrian

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 am

Perhaps that's your answer then.

How much do you want to drink / how often do you want to brew.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:29 am

Fermenters:
For me that is.. where are you fermenting? How are you controlling temp? How are you cleaning up?

If there is any moving about going on.... Go plastic wide mouth wine fermenter. I'd get one to start with anyway. They will always come in useful.
mashy

Unread postby Eirebrau » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 pm

mashy wrote:Fermenters:
For me that is.. where are you fermenting? How are you controlling temp? How are you cleaning up?

Pils and Wheat beer are my preferences. As regards controlling temp, I'm considering going for a standal one cooler or vest. Cleaning up...well I'm hoping to have a room set aside in the new build with deep s/s sinks. I'm still considering how to set up the room but it's 18+ months off.
Eirebrau

Unread postby mashy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 am

Fermenting needs a warm space. Warm rooms or cabinets are better than heaters and vests.

I have an outside room, but bring my brew indoors to ferment.

If you are planning to ferment outside to can't beat a converted fridge.

I use the wide mouth wine fermenters. Cheap, light easy to clean. Brilliant.

Fermenters do not bring anything to the flavour of the beer. Plastic, glass or stainless all have their followers for different reasons. But glass will always be fragile and stainless is heavy and cumbersome.

You mentioned 20l or 50l BM.
IMO 20. For lots of reasons.

What are you brewing at the moment?
mashy

Unread postby Snakebite1969 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 am

With the 50 litre BM you really need to consider a keg setup, it’s just too many bottles to clean and fill for each brew. If you are from Ireland, your mates might be expecting a decent session now and again so the 50 litre might be a good idea?

I own a 50 liter BM. Between pressing start of the boil and the end, I clean 3 corny kegs via my three tap kegerator (also clean beer lines), transfer 50 litters to 2.5 corny kegs under CO2 and clean / sterilise fermenter for next brew while performing hop additions!

The best part is my previous brew is ready to drink straight from the fermenter since I use a pressure fermenter setup inside a fridge. Within 18 hours of pitching yeast, my fermenter is at 20 psi and carbonating the beer. I use 3 fridges, 450 litre fridge to store / lager 8 19 litre keg, 270 litre fridge for fermenter and 200 litre 3 corny keg serving kegerator.

Note, I transfer from fermenter at 10 psi to corny keg that have being purged of oxygen. I did notice a big difference in quality of beer (less stale) when I switched from plastic fermenter to Stainless Steel pressure fermenter. The difference was really noticeable for ales compared to stouts.

The fermenter I use is from WilliamsWarn 50 litre Brew Keg and I have found it the perfect match for my 50 litre BM:
https://williamswarn.co.nz/products/brewkeg/
Snakebite1969

Unread postby mashy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Cracking good point. "With the 50 litre BM you really need to consider a keg setup"

I bottle a 23l batch in 60 mins but a double batch would indeed be a PITA.

Your post has made me think a 50 isn't just a different BM, it is a different process and different kit all the way through.
I have always wondered why people don't rush to mod one of the pumps in a 50 to pump out.
mashy

Unread postby Eirebrau » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am

mashy wrote:Fermenting needs a warm space

Thanks Mashy but with Pils and lager they need to be cold fermented and conditioned if I'm not mistaken? I never considered that point regarding the 50L. The 20 might be more suitable to begin with. You seem to have a serious set up snakebite. Thanks lads.
Eirebrau

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Good point. A better phrase would have been "temp controlled space".

Spot the bloke who does brew lager / pilsner. :D
mashy

Unread postby Eirebrau » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 pm

mashy wrote:Good point. A better phrase would have been "temp controlled space"

AKA a fridge :lol: Not possible to maintain low temps consistently and accurately without one in my opinion.
Eirebrau

Return to Welcome!